COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAMILIES & NOBLE HOUSES
Taxes, Taxes, and more Taxes!

Not sure if this is the correct place for this but here it is anyways. My question is this and i have not found a sound answer anywhere, If a person comes in at a Mayor lvl or above and is running a settlement /Town/city, How will taxes be handled? I know as a Mayor of a town, if i have to run about and collect taxes on 100 different people that live and work in my town, i am forsure not going to enjoy this as it would get very old very fast! I am hoping they put an NPC in to do the tax collecting or a contract system whereby the person that owes taxes it contracted to deposit said taxes at a certain location by a certain time and date, other wise they will have to suffer justice for there tax evasion crimes. In conclusion, What are your all's thought on the matter of Tax Collecting?

Drakvon

4/10/2017 2:37:02 PM #1

Why go through the bother of taxing them. Just go full communism and take over every means of production.

You don't have to tax them now that the profit from production are all already going to you. They just have to put in the labor and you pay them a bit every once in a while.

There's a reason that Russia has the most land in the world. There's a reason that China has the largest population in the world. There's a reason the Color red is on the US Flag. Its all because Communism is good for you, good for the people, good for the world.

Communism Ho! Seize the means of Production.

Seriously though, just make a NPC do all the tax collecting for you.

Right now, I'm just a sloth. Just a motionless sloth. A sinful sloth. Please don't make me work. Can't you see how troublesome it would be to get up everyday and actually be productive? Just leave me be. Let me be a sloth.

4/10/2017 3:40:41 PM #2

Posted By Shady Clown at 07:37 AM - Mon Apr 10 2017

Why go through the bother of taxing them. Just go full communism and take over every means of production.

You don't have to tax them now that the profit from production are all already going to you. They just have to put in the labor and you pay them a bit every once in a while.

There's a reason that Russia has the most land in the world. There's a reason that China has the largest population in the world. There's a reason the Color red is on the US Flag. Its all because Communism is good for you, good for the people, good for the world.

Communism Ho! Seize the means of Production.

Seriously though, just make a NPC do all the tax collecting for you.

I enjoyed this post.

4/10/2017 4:54:55 PM #3

@ Shady

Entertaining as always.

Serious note on OP. There are several posts about taxation and how it works currently floating around.

In short taxation is just like mail delivery it must be done by hand nothing automatic in CoE. Which means you have to send someone around to actually collect taxes (same with rents). There was speculation there could be a central spot where you can have your slav... I mean citizens drop off their payment. But I do not recall if this was officially confirmed by SBS or not.

4/10/2017 4:59:47 PM #4

There was certainly confirmation some duties could be delegated, so I expect you'll be able to outsource ;)

4/10/2017 5:01:46 PM #5

Posted By Malais at 11:54 AM - Mon Apr 10 2017

@ Shady

Entertaining as always.

Serious note on OP. There are several posts about taxation and how it works currently floating around.

In short taxation is just like mail delivery it must be done by hand nothing automatic in CoE. Which means you have to send someone around to actually collect taxes (same with rents). There was speculation there could be a central spot where you can have your slav... I mean citizens drop off their payment. But I do not recall if this was officially confirmed by SBS or not.

I can't say they have officially commented towards taxes.

but as far as purchasing land goes

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/6549/DJ-18-Kingdom-Land-Management

Under Buying Land:

Then, anyone can come look at the table, see the unclaimed parcels of land with the (deeds) pinned to them, sign their name, put any required money (into the table), and take the deeds. Poof! They have purchased the land.

If you can drop payment in to the land management table to buy a plot of land. It isn't a stretch to think you can do the same with taxes. is my opinion.

4/10/2017 5:28:22 PM #6

Posted By Blankwindow at 4/10/2017 5:01:46 PM

@ Shady

Entertaining as always.

Under Buying Land:

Then, anyone can come look at the table, see the unclaimed parcels of land with the (deeds) pinned to them, sign their name, put any required money (into the table), and take the deeds. Poof! They have purchased the land.

If you can drop payment in to the land management table to buy a plot of land. It isn't a stretch to think you can do the same with taxes. is my opinion.

True except we know that gold (money in general) is a real item that has weight and takes up space. So unless we have magic tables that money has to go somewhere which also means it can be stolen if not collected and moved at some point.

/wink /wink

4/10/2017 5:38:18 PM #7

Posted By Malais at 12:28 PM - Mon Apr 10 2017

Posted By Blankwindow at 4/10/2017 5:01:46 PM

@ Shady

Entertaining as always.

Under Buying Land:

True except we know that gold (money in general) is a real item that has weight and takes up space. So unless we have magic tables that money has to go somewhere which also means it can be stolen if not collected and moved at some point.

/wink /wink

Well I would think it part of the titles person daily duties to make sure the table is kept empty\contents moved to the secure treasury.

Or to appoint someone to do i t.

but yeah, deviants will go for it if you leave em easy access.

4/10/2017 6:01:23 PM #8

The Duke will appoint a single Sheriff or Viscount per county to act as their proxy (with possibly additional granted ducal powers like knighting someone after a battle). The Sheriff will be the commander of all the county's barons, knights, common soldiers, etc. A Barony is a paid military commission similar to knighthood. In addition to military matters Barons are also responsible for law and order as judges of capital crimes, deputy sheriffs, and tax collectors. Baron also command a small number of knights and several hundred [possibly thousands for larger military settlements] common soldiers. The Sheriff and everyone under his military command work with a bounty token system which allows them to legally take money or items from people, or even incapacitate them and bring them back to face justice.

Dev Journals concerning Titles are https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/6549/DJ-18-Kingdom-Land-Management and https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/12300/Whats-in-store-for-you.

Most questions have either been covered by Dev Journals or by QnAs. You can find transcipts for the QnAs in the Q&A Compilation. The searchable website has easy to use reference links for use in the forums. The searchable google docs compilation transcript is quickest for highlighting and locating certain words.

Those who fail to learn the historical maneuvers of the Great Dance are doomed to repeating a classic misstep. -- FC--96C878

4/16/2017 3:22:26 AM #9

Taxes will be an interesting way to keep money churning. As someone who is a business owner in real life, it will be fun to figure out how to get the lowest possible tax payment out without breaking any rules! I also feel bad for the person who has to somehow organize and be responsible for tax collection.

It seems like at launch the game will be very wild wild west like, leaving lots open for crime and avoiding the government's wishes while everyone figures out what they're doing! Looking forward to it.

4/16/2017 10:30:02 AM #10

you forgot about taxes

You may have erased my signature, but you can't corner the dorner

4/16/2017 11:43:20 AM #11

Posted By FenixFireSage at 8:01 PM - Mon Apr 10 2017

The Duke will appoint a single Sheriff or Viscount per county to act as their proxy (with possibly additional granted ducal powers like knighting someone after a battle).

I have no idea where you've gotten this information from, back in the very very early days of development we're talking back in 2015, and a lot of information have changed since then, counts and such don't appoint barons to their keeps anymore either, the whole baron role have changed drastically so very few things that were true back then are not true now. A Viscount was (back in the day) also the title of the heir to a county. (But it have probably also changed a lot since then)

The Sheriff will be the commander of all the county's barons, knights, common soldiers, etc. A Barony is a paid military commission similar to knighthood. In addition to military matters Barons are also responsible for law and order as judges of capital crimes, deputy sheriffs, and tax collectors. Baron also command a small number of knights and several hundred [possibly thousands for larger military settlements] common soldiers. The Sheriff and everyone under his military command work with a bounty token system which allows them to legally take money or items from people, or even incapacitate them and bring them back to face justice.

Okay, there's a lot of wrong with all the things, and it's only because a lot of it is simply put, outdated, while other things are new things I've never read or heard before.

A sheriff is not a commander of every baron etc. a baron is a mayor who've made a contract with the duke and in return for keeping a functional defensive position (with troops etc.) he'll recieve payment from the duke and a baron title (to replace that of "mayor" which was his title.) This is how it is right now, we've yet to see if this changes again, but it seems pretty solid so far.

A baron does not act as the count's law enforcer, he is still the count's mayor, so he'll need to send the taxes he collect from his settlement (depending on the contract with the count, as that's how taxes will be handled, with explicit contracts) So a baron will do the exact same as a mayor, he'll just also be recruiting and keeping an army or maintaining a stronghold for the duke (the duke wants to be able to defend his duchy, and therefore his game plays a bit like a tower defence, with the towers being settlements. (barons)

Most questions have either been covered by Dev Journals or by QnAs. You can find transcipts for the QnAs in the Q&A Compilation.

Just be ops. A lot of it is outdated and was later changed, and it doesn't state that in the transcripts, it's something you'll need to remember what has and what hasn't been changed.

The searchable website has easy to use reference links for use in the forums.

Again, keep in mind that a lot of it (even though it's outdated) doesn't state so. Also it isn't updated anymore, so a lot of the newer QnA's that's on their official youtube page, aren't included in either the QnA compilation or this searchable site.

4/16/2017 12:19:04 PM #12

What about the frequency of tax collection? Are taxes to be collected yearly (every real life week) or do we have to watch for the tax man coming every month (@13 hours) or every season (@day and half)?

Three aberrations that have plagued gamers from the beginning: The Lag Monster, the Mistell Maven and the Typo-Daemon. Their actions have to led to laughter, anger and tears since the beginning of the Internet.

4/16/2017 12:35:15 PM #13

I, have a question regarding taxes from wandering mercheants.how do you plan to tax them? I mean they are in your City for an Hour or two and then they leave. You will lose a lot of money of you don't stand next to them and collect your share immediatly.

4/16/2017 1:30:57 PM #14

Posted By Scalpio at 08:35 AM - Sun Apr 16 2017

I, have a question regarding taxes from wandering mercheants.how do you plan to tax them? I mean they are in your City for an Hour or two and then they leave. You will lose a lot of money of you don't stand next to them and collect your share immediatly.

Typically merchants would be taxed per transaction from what I know historically. You as a merchant would come into the city and have to go to a designated merchant district to sell your goods. The officials of the city would be keeping a close eye and make sure any transactions carried out in the district also had the portion of tax on such things paid to the city.

This is why you usually see things like harbor fees, gate fees, etc. If the city controls the infrastructure and everyone has to use the infrastructure, then you can ensure taxes are paid by taxing anyone using the infrastructure. Etc.

4/16/2017 2:50:50 PM #15

To be honest I would highly encourage SBS to go the strongbox method of citizens dropping off tax because the middleman of tax collectors can lead to just invaluable annoying game play to a lot of people. Tax collector siphons taxes, tells count they didn't pay and BOOM. Count thinks his citizens are evading and citizens think the count is stealing from them while the collectors eat popcorn in the back.

One saving grace might be since contracts are tracked like quests, if they made it so once a tax collector got the item in his inventory or possession, it marked it on the contract. Otherwise the above is bound to happen and if that's the case I'm just gonna collect them personally in my city. Feels bad for the others though.

I don't know anymore.