COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Stuck at 10,000 or so players.

So being stuck at 10,000-12,000 players means SBS should have just charges $250 to play the whole game forever, and Kingdom's were chosen on a first come first serve basis as well as Duchy's/Counties etc. and they would have made more money that way? Discuss.

16 or so Kingdoms (16 rulers) -160,000 +9984 people on average paying $300 = 3,155,200$

But, if you were to charge $250 per person, you'd probably end up with a higher amount of players which would exceed the above mark.

Another thing to discuss: If there are slots being filled, why are the prices so high anyway? Just use the same expression as the previous point about paying per person a standard price. Some people wouldn't have had to paid so much for the same very thing.

Paying $10000 for a position is sort of like saying first come first served, in a way.

Thoughts about this?

4/12/2017 12:42:31 AM #1

lot of thoughts IN THIS LINK HERE

i believe that they said that there are in excess of 160,000 unique accounts registered now

so if you can, please explain what you mean by 'stuck at 10,000 - 12,000 players'

ty

4/12/2017 12:44:47 AM #2

Pretty sure SBS have a fairly good idea of what they're doing and at the moment they aren't really advertising the game as such, so the current numbers are really anything to be considered about.

Mayor of Funny Farms Inc.

4/12/2017 12:46:01 AM #3

I don't know, considering you didn't pay anything why are you so concerned about financial matters? And why are you saying they are stuck on 10,000-12,000 players?

Reading this post and all your others, not only are your topics obscure but they are just plain weird. You sound so much like someone that was just banned it's uncanny. If you start complaining how we ruined your chances to get a thread "stickied" the Jig is up. LOL.

4/12/2017 12:50:03 AM #4

I think this game is going to be mediocre at best, don't know what you guys are saying.

And it might even die in under 3 years. Or less just like other games.

What makes this game better than other games?

4/12/2017 12:54:24 AM #5

Posted By Aliass at 5:50 PM - Tue Apr 11 2017

I think this game is going to be mediocre at best, don't know what you guys are saying.

lol

4/12/2017 12:58:19 AM #6

Posted By Aliass at

But, if you were to charge $250 per person, you'd probably end up with a higher amount of players

You are completely ignoring the fact that most of player base (that will be playing with basic packages) would never pay as high as $250.

Your argument is like saying instead of car industry selling only few Ferarris, few dozen of Mercedes and hundreds of Fiats, let them sell Mercedes to everyone and they will earn more money, but forgetting that not all people can afford Mercedes.

Thus why cars of different price range exist and different packages in CoE.

4/12/2017 1:00:08 AM #7

Read the DJs, watch the videos by BicycleWalrus, watch the Dev Q&As and you'll see why we believe in this game.

Mayor of Funny Farms Inc.

4/12/2017 1:00:33 AM #8

Posted By Dleatherus at 8:54 PM - Tue Apr 11 2017

lol

yo you got this from FJAY?

4/12/2017 1:01:15 AM #9

Posted By Gothix at 8:58 PM - Tue Apr 11 2017

Posted By Aliass at

But, if you were to charge $250 per person, you'd probably end up with a higher amount of players

You are completely ignoring the fact that most of player base (that will be playing with basic packages) would never pay as high as $250.

Your argument is like saying instead of car industry selling only few Ferarris, few dozen of Mercedes and hundreds of Fiats, let them sell Mercedes to everyone and they will earn more money, but forgetting that not all people can afford Mercedes.

It's a video game, it's not the same as buying a car.

4/12/2017 1:04:16 AM #10

Troll account at it again.

4/12/2017 1:18:10 AM #11

Posted By Aliass at 8:50 PM - Tue Apr 11 2017

I have to ask, if you believe this why are you here? I mean this is what passes for entertainment for you? To me it's just sad that you can't find something better to do with your time than come up with asinine questions about a game you don't care about. Think about it, at this point you have made 52 posts about a game that means nothing to you. I mean who does that?

I guess there is just a bunch of sad lonely people out there looking for attention any way they can get it. Well, if it keeps you off the streets continue to have fun here. I just don't get it but it takes all types right?

4/12/2017 1:23:35 AM #12

Posted By Aliass at 9:01 PM - Tue Apr 11 2017

Posted By Gothix at 8:58 PM - Tue Apr 11 2017

Posted By Aliass at

It's a video game, it's not the same as buying a car.

Whoosh! Thats the sound of a concept going right over someones head.

4/12/2017 1:25:04 AM #13

Posted By RedDoggybone at 9:18 PM - Tue Apr 11 2017

I guess there is just a bunch of sad lonely people out there looking for attention any way they can get it.

4/12/2017 1:32:20 AM #14

hi Aliass -- I am not gonna downvote you like some others have as you are just stating your own thoughts and a legit possibility. I may not agree with you but, hey, the world isn't full of people that agree with each other all the time.

4/12/2017 2:56:16 AM #15

Posted By Aliass at

So being stuck at 10,000-12,000 players

Hail, Aliass--

I am unsure where you found such numbers! Our community population far exceeds 10-20k. Perhaps you mistook kingdom size for community size? They are not one and the same!

Every server will have a combined Player-Character (PC) and Non-Player-Character (NPC) population of approximately 100k. Divided into six kingdoms, each kingdom may have an approximate population of 16k PCs and NPCs.

I'll make a list!

• 100,000 TOTAL server population
  • 6 Kingdoms per server
  • = ~16,666 Citizens per kingdom

SBS should have just charges $250 to play the whole game forever, and Kingdom's were chosen on a first come first serve basis as well as Duchy's/Counties etc. and they would have made more money that way? Discuss.

Your wording makes your question somewhat difficult to follow, but let me see if I understood you correctly! Here is what I got from you:

Would SBS have made more money if they charged everyone $250 to play the entire game forever?

Please let me know if you meant something else! I will answer the question that I think I saw.

Would we have made more money if we charged everyone $250 for total and limitless access to the game? Perhaps! Let's say half the server population is made of players, since NPCs won't be purchasing any Sparks of Life. Doing the math, [ 50,000 x $250 = $12,500,000 ]. My god. That certainly is a lot of money!

However, that is assuming that 50,000 would be able and or willing to pay $250 to play the game.

16 or so Kingdoms (16 rulers) -160,000 +9984 people on average paying $300 = 3,155,200$

But, if you were to charge $250 per person, you'd probably end up with a higher amount of players which would exceed the above mark.

Let's look at a rough percentage:

Of our 10,752 Kickstarter backers, only 1,390 pledged $250 or more. That's slightly less than 13% of our Kickstarter 'population'. If we transfer that percentage to the server, the numbers are much lower.

[ 50,000 x 0.13 = 6,500 ]

13% of our 50,000 player population equals 6,500 players.

[ 6,500 x $250 = $1,625,000 ]

13% of our players would pay $250 to play the game, which would get us $1.6M. That's a significantly lower number!

Now, let's say our employees earn a $60,000 yearly salary, just to throw out a low average gleaned from Glassdoor. For $1,625,000, we can cover the salaries of 27 employees for one year. That's pretty great!

However...

Chronicles of Elyria has a 10-year story, and we are not going to stop developing the game when it launches. If our community was to remain static, or 'stuck', we would only be able to support the salaries of two developers for 10 years... and this isn't even mentioning software licensing fees and server costs, to name a few.

So, to answer your question "Would SBS have made more money if they charged everyone $250 to play the entire game forever?", the answer is no.

Perhaps in the short term, it looks like a lot of money -- but it is not a sustainable business model, and we are potentially locking out 43,500 people who would like to play the game but cannot afford the $250 price tag.

As well, our business model is intricately tied into Life and Death in Elyria. If $250 will get you a free pass for the rest of your Elyrian lives, what worth is each life now? If you were to permadie three times a year for ten years, that's the equivalent of 30 Sparks of Life. If each Spark was $30, that's $900... that you paid $250 for. You could recklessly throw yourself into combat as many times as you wanted and Die more than three times a year, and the worth of each life continues to plummet.

That is not what we are trying to do with Chronicles of Elyria. We want your lives to mean something, but if you can throw your lives away endlessly for a one-time payment of $250, what makes CoE different from any other game that you could play for free or for a $15/month subscription?

Another thing to discuss: If there are slots being filled, why are the prices so high anyway?

Some prices are affordable to some people. The point of the packages now is to fund the game's development -- we will not continue selling these packages when the game launches, instead relying more upon Soul Packs and Sparks of Life to continue funding CoE's development post-launch.

Just use the same expression as the previous point about paying per person a standard price. Some people wouldn't have had to paid so much for the same very thing.

Paying $10000 for a position is sort of like saying first come first served, in a way.

Thoughts about this?

We are still working on launch prices, but we are looking at a base price of around $40-$60. This will include a copy of the game, three souls, and one Spark of Life. This is the price everyone coming into the game will pay.

When they reach a state of permadeath, they have the choice to pay for a Spark of Life to continue playing. A Spark of Life may retail for around $30, and provides you approximately one real-life year 'subscription'. The more killing blows, or CDGs, you receive, and the more renown or infamous you are, the more 'subscription time' you lose per CDG.

Chronicles of Elyria is not equitable. Nobody will be starting off in the same location, with the same resources available to them. Similar, perhaps, but certainly not equal like most games that provide you with the exact same starting gear and the exact same quests and story as everyone else.

Not everyone will be a hero. Not everyone will be rich, or strong, or skilled in a particular area. Those are all things that must be worked toward, things that can be lost. You get out of the game what you put into it.

That is Chonicles of Elyria.