COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAN MEDIA
Virtori symbolism

I was considering making some art for each religion but i cant think of how you would visually represent the vices and virtues of the virtori.

All i could come up with so far would be: Charity: silhouette someone offering hand to someone lower Chastity: wedding ring Temperance: alcohol bottle being burned

Any masters of metaphors on here?

4/12/2017 5:20:07 AM #1

Posted By Reikan at

Temperance: alcohol bottle being burned

Soo a Molotov cocktail? :D

Some of the virtues are a bit hard to create visual symbols for since they're so internalized... temperance could be something like a plate with a small amount of food on it, and perhaps a broken wine glass? Patience might be an hourglass with both halves full of sand, or something like that. It also depends on whether you want all of them (or none of them) to incorporate a human element; chastity could be two interlocked wedding bands, or a young woman in modest clothing, depending on whether you want to include or avoid having people in the images.

4/12/2017 6:31:42 AM #2

Too many people think Chastity has to do with sex and marriage. Chastity is a deeper pool than that. Think of it more in terms of "purity" of one's desire. Selfish desire is impure, selfless desire is pure.

Anyhow, here are my suggestions:

Chastity

A pure drop of water.

Temperance

A balanced scale.

Charity

An open hand, fingers toward the viewer.

Diligence

A hammer.

Patience

A series of points arranged in concentric circles.

Kindness

Two hands clasped.

Humility

A genuflecting figure, head bowed.

Kinda like this:

4/12/2017 2:42:25 PM #3

oh sweet, did you just draw those? My idea for virtori was to have the virtues on one side and vices on the other clashing together, with the person in the middle. The other religions are much more straight forward in terms of symbolism

4/12/2017 3:00:49 PM #4

Do we actually know what the vices and virtues are in Elyria? It might be the Vitori have a different view to those of us on earth. Perhaps be a bit vaguer with the symbolism. More good vs evil, light vs dark, we know they see the world quite black and white.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

4/12/2017 3:03:46 PM #5

http://chroniclesofelyria.gamepedia.com/Virtori

Virtues: Chastity Temperance Charity Diligence Patience Kindness Humility

Vices: Lust Gluttony Greed Sloth Wrath Envy Pride

4/12/2017 3:06:24 PM #6

You might want to read the part that says:

However, there has been no announcement of which Virtues and Vices will appear in Chronicles of Elyria.

Those are just a list of those represented on Earth. They are a possibility, not a definite. I think it is odd they are listed on the wiki at all.

4/12/2017 3:19:40 PM #7

Yeah, true. Well can only work with what ive got, they can show me wrong later when they are ready

4/12/2017 3:30:14 PM #8

Very true, just trying to give an alternative based on what we do know. Also means you don't have to think up symbols for vague concepts like temperance but that might just be my laziness talking!

Looking forward to seeing the finished pieces.

4/12/2017 4:02:23 PM #9

Posted By Reikan at 07:42 AM - Wed Apr 12 2017

oh sweet, did you just draw those? My idea for virtori was to have the virtues on one side and vices on the other clashing together, with the person in the middle. The other religions are much more straight forward in terms of symbolism

Yeah, I wrote out my discriptions and though, meh. I will just draw 'em quick.

Sounds like a cool idea, though.

4/12/2017 4:03:42 PM #10

im not so good as an artist or anything. but working on stuff while I have the ideas seems like a good way to practice. Its probably fine for them to be placeholders, if the virtues etc change can change the images in the picture later the main idea of how it looks would probably be the same (black vs white). If I dont have any of the symbols there wouldn't be much to show that it is Virtori.

4/12/2017 4:30:46 PM #11

As VictoriaRachel said, we're not sure the vices/virtues listed on the wiki are the confirmed VVs that the Virtori follow. While probable, nothing has been confirmed. An overzealous wiki editor put the info there as filler, I think.

But, I fully encourage creativity. So knock yourself out coming up with symbols! My counsel would be to have fun with graphics but don't be upset if the Virtori end up having a different set of vices/virtues than we do on earth.

4/12/2017 5:22:32 PM #12

Nah I don't care about anything exact, just establishing a general feel. Even if they were vastly different and I really did care I could say "I am going to start a cult and we believe it this way"

I've made a draft now for the layout and style. Will get a photo for the character at some point, figure out something for background, add more details to side panels/arrows and also add detail to the symbols.

Imgur

I think I still fail at putting pictures on here.

4/12/2017 8:01:40 PM #13

Posted By Reikan at 10:22 AM - Wed Apr 12 2017

I think I still fail at putting pictures on here.

Gotta put a ! in front of the []

4/12/2017 9:49:44 PM #14

Posted By Reikan at

I was considering making some art for each religion but i cant think of how you would visually represent the vices and virtues of the virtori.

All i could come up with so far would be: Charity: silhouette someone offering hand to someone lower Chastity: wedding ring Temperance: alcohol bottle being burned

Any masters of metaphors on here?

I would do it in style of tarot cards, I think most of those concepts are covered in tarot symbolism, not really an expert in mumbo jumbo but like the art of it

5/12/2017 5:21:05 PM #15

Perhaps i arrived a little late for the party, but here are some things about the iconography of the virtues and vices.

Cardinal virtues:

Prudence: can be represented as a woman with two faces that is looking at herself in a mirror while a serpent is coiled around one of his hands. You have this painting of Girolamo Macchietti with all these elements.

Fortitude: The symbols of this virtue can be a woman with a shield and a brach of roble in one hand. Usually, there is a column too.

Sandro Botticelli made his own representation of the fortitude in one of his works. Though don't have many of the symbols that are supposed to represent said virtue...

Temperance: All its representations make reference to moderation and self-control. So, a possible representation could be a woman pouring water in a wineglass.

Many of the iconographic reference that we have come from someone called Cesare Ripa. If you search about him perhaps you could find some representations for reference purpose.

Justice: Its symbols are: a sword, a weighing scale and a piece of cloth covering the woman eyes.

Something like this:

Here you have a page with some representations of the virtues and vices from Giotto di Bondone.

Giotto di Bondone