COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Horse Stealing

A quick question: will we have something in the hud that says"this is your horse/wagon" or we will rely only on its apearence and our memories? If not, how often horses will be stolen or just mistakenly rided? Since everything in the game can be lost/stolen.... how easy?

4/12/2017 2:07:09 PM #1

I doubt we have any information regarding this so far.

I hope we'll have to rely on its appearance, perhaps mark them somehow.

4/12/2017 2:29:11 PM #2

I guess in kingdoms having some decent law systems, guards will be here to take care of criminals.

Indeed at beginning I expect many goods to be easily stolen by low morale players, until guards are present to enforce the law. And if the situation is not covered already by an enacted law, the king may has to settle during some kind of people claiming maybe, like in feudal times.

Kings will more likely be very busy at beginning : I also expect many rushed and bloody settlements, depending on the patience of the king X'D

"Anything, from the malicious hummingbird to the stately dryas elk leaves a trail to the skilled eye, but master hunters. Only way for a fool to find them is to stalk the silence, but only a legend can truely merge with the wild up to become a relentless nature spirit." Shrike the stuffer.

4/12/2017 2:50:11 PM #3

Hopefully we will be able to brand our horses like they did back in the day with cattle and livestock. Maybe after a certain level of breeding/animal husbandry youll be able to do it

4/12/2017 3:05:03 PM #4

Unless things have changed there will be Branding of livestock and Maker's Marks for the Tack and Saddles. And most if not all kingdoms will have laws against theft or unauthorized borrwoing. Now whether you can catch a horse thief or find a witness to the crime is another story. So much of the bounty system and punishment system have yet to be released.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

4/12/2017 5:13:18 PM #5

Interesting question. I would like to think a town would have a stables, then all the horses in there. But if they all happen to look the same, would need branding. Probably would have to put some guards always outside them. But then any houses in the wilds, really wouldn't take much to steal your horse. Stealing animals in general seems easy to do. Screw robbing someone, just hit the local farmer.

4/12/2017 5:36:41 PM #6

Well I think one protection you have for animals that you don't for anything else is that animals have their own will. I think a dog that is stolen is much more likely to run away and make attempt to find its master if it gets the chance to do so. Pretty much all animals disagree with certain people, the people they do accept are the exception more often than the rule. It would make sense if you say steal a horse that you might need a bit of taming skill or something equivalent if you really want to ride it properly.

Another thing which I doubt will be implemented is that animals have certain natures and react to things in certain ways and because of this a horse and rider that have spent time together synchronise much better than a horse and some stranger.

4/12/2017 5:47:20 PM #7

Back on the original question, I expect pets and animals you own may count as part of your "family", which have their names visible at all times if I recall correctly. So horses may do something similar, you can always tell which one is yours.

Death is just another path, one we all must take

Friend Code: C8DF9C

4/12/2017 6:33:07 PM #8

The simplest option would be a UI indicator for players or info box when you select an object, telling you the owners name. I don't believe in overcomplicating things like that though, or leaving players in guessing games trying to avoid criminal offences..

4/12/2017 6:43:10 PM #9

It might give you a label if you see that person riding the horse..If you walk up to a horse and you saw it may just say horse or horse in red letters since your character now it's not yours..Just guessing but it terms of protection from people stealing it..A brand would be the best way to protect yourself..

4/12/2017 9:18:02 PM #10

Posted By Eurickdm at

A quick question .....how often horses will be stolen....?

Holy Darkfall Batman!!!

4/12/2017 10:54:58 PM #11

Man, I got excited by the thread title, thinking we'd have a big, ornery debate about punishments for mount and livestock theft.

As someone not too far removed from rural Texas roots, I'm here to tell you that was a death penalty offense less than 150 years ago...no need to trouble the law or courts about it. Nobody in the community would raise a fuss on the finer points of legal statutes or due process.

So in this here "low" fantasy world we're bombarded with contemporary social conventions like liberal democratic institutions in medieval times, labor unions, egalitarianism, gay marriage, environmentalist resource management, males who can only procreate one per year, well let me tell you somethin' pardner...those of us who might find ourselves in horse/cattle ranching had better see some right fine Justice for livestock thieves---or else we'll just take care of it the Ol' West way...

...y'all.

As for in-game labels for your mount, I say it should work only as well as your character's state of sobriety. If he's only buzzed, then several labels should pop up over several horses, all saying "Maybe your horse?" until he shakes it off. If he's had way too much to drink, then the label should disappear altogether and he just has to think about it for a minute which horse looks like his...and decide if he wants to guess...

Maybe if they make breathalizers with USB ports, then the game can tell if the player has had too much, too.

Hmmm..might not be a bad idea, actually. If it were working in the forums as we speak, could I hit "Submit" right now?

DPBoD2.jpg

4/13/2017 1:10:44 AM #12

Posted By Ecir_Edyah at 5:54 PM - Wed Apr 12 2017

Man, I got excited by the thread title, thinking we'd have a big, ornery debate about punishments for mount and livestock theft.

As someone not too far removed from rural Texas roots, I'm here to tell you that was a death penalty offense less than 150 years ago...no need to trouble the law or courts about it. Nobody in the community would raise a fuss on the finer points of legal statutes or due process.

So in this here "low" fantasy world we're bombarded with contemporary social conventions like liberal democratic institutions in medieval times, labor unions, egalitarianism, gay marriage, environmentalist resource management, males who can only procreate one per year, well let me tell you somethin' pardner...those of us who might find ourselves in horse/cattle ranching had better see some right fine Justice for livestock thieves---or else we'll just take care of it the Ol' West way...

...y'all.

As for in-game labels for your mount, I say it should work only as well as your character's state of sobriety. If he's only buzzed, then several labels should pop up over several horses, all saying "Maybe your horse?" until he shakes it off. If he's had way too much to drink, then the label should disappear altogether and he just has to think about it for a minute which horse looks like his...and decide if he wants to guess...

Maybe if they make breathalizers with USB ports, then the game can tell if the player has had too much, too.

Hmmm..might not be a bad idea, actually. If it were working in the forums as we speak, could I hit "Submit" right now?

hahahahahhahaha I would add if you are totally drunk, name of your in game wife appears over all horses

4/13/2017 2:31:35 AM #13

This reminds me. Two men were drinking at the bar when the first one said, "Well, I gotta get my new horse and go home before the wife kills me. The second man said "Yep, I also got a new horse. How are we going to tell them apart?" The two drunks went outside and looked at the horses before the first one said "I think that the white one is taller than the black one."

Countess of Tarnham

County Tarnham, Rhynelands Duchy, Vornair. Luna Server (NA-E)

4/13/2017 2:53:45 AM #14

Posted By Moonlynx at 4/13/2017 2:31:35 AM

This reminds me. Two men were drinking at the bar when the first one said, "Well, I gotta get my new horse and go home before the wife kills me. The second man said "Yep, I also got a new horse. How are we going to tell them apart?" The two drunks went outside and looked at the horses before the first one said "I think that the white one is taller than the black one."

Exactly this kind of thing that i was thinking about.

Banding a horse means uploading a image file to your horse, i think, so we may have some aditional glitches that turn the image not so visible, and even with it the brand they may be just dificult to spot without a hud indicator.

Imagine, you ride from town A to B and in the middle of the road you notice that the horse isn't yours, coss the game doesn't have many diferent textures and models for horses and horse equipment.

Or you buy from a trader that stole and, since the horse is unbranded and there's no hud indicator of ownership, you now have a stolen horse.

I'm against floating names for everything in the game, but would like a way to know wich one of those 15 horses/wagons/boats that look just like one another is mine.

4/13/2017 3:14:57 AM #15

A. don't leave your horse out in town, put them in a stall.

B.remember in wich stall you parked your horse.

xD