COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAMILIES & NOBLE HOUSES
Land-owner and Family

So the following question came up in my head and discussion on Discord showed that the answer isn't quite clear. You can join another player's noble family, either by taking an open character or with a child code. What happens if you, for example, were a mayor/baron backer and joined the family of a king/duke/count?

Of cause you would not be able to create your own surname and coat of arms (because you would belong to a different family and not your own) but what happens with your land? Would you still get to rule your town/barony and just belong to a different family or would you lose your lands completely because you are not part of a specific family (that you would've been allowed to create) that owns those lands?

4/15/2017 3:11:08 PM #1

From my understanding you would retain your current status or title. Such as a Mayor marrying a Count, the mayor will not loose the title of Mayor or the Land. They could either help govern the county or remain and govern the town. They may earn a honorary/bestowed title though marriage though it may be seen as illegitimate and them not being a true noble, just an aristocrat.

Why would not not be able to create your own coat of arms? Most are Family Crests that have been adopted as one representing a County/Dutchy/Kingdom. Your custom Surname will be in place as well though your name may change after marriage. Going into your next life your custom family surname would apply not your past name until you marry again. Sure the child would have your past married name but once you take over the heir I feel the name would change.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

4/15/2017 4:12:46 PM #2

From my understanding at domain section you will see the open spots for your tier. Each of those open spots is actually an NPC family. Each with the possibility of a spouse kids and siblings. To pick your lands you have to pick one of these preexisting families in order to claim your land.

Given that each tier has to pick I'm not sure how you could join their family as a sibling and still keep your lands. You would have to start as a separate family (keeping your goodies) and then marry into the other family. In which case you would have all your package goodies and be related via marriage to the other family.

Now if you start below the mayor package it wouldn't be a big deal. Your friend would give you a code for one of heir family members and you're set. If you have EP land you would then pick your plots at land selection (not the same as domain selection).

Once the game goes live I don't see how your lose anything. Be a bit of a hike to go from town to town to help rule both though. You'd still keep your goodies though.

4/15/2017 4:17:33 PM #3

As far as I know on this topic Malais has the right of it. When we get to domain selection you will be picking lands and towns that are already owned by an NPC you simply become that NPC or a child of theirs with a bit of customization available on appearance and name and surname.

If you choose to be a kings brother then you forfeit your opportunity to be a mayor or a count or whatever unless it just so happened that at world generation the NPC king had an NPC brother who was a mayor.

Even in this unlikely scenario you're still limited to then being the mayor of whatever town that NPC happened to have.

So unfortunately there's a lot of instances where it's nearly impossible to get everything you might want.