COMMUNITY - FORUMS - ANGELICA ORGANIZATIONS
[All Servers] "The Free League" aka The Indeps

Many of you may remember the D&D Setting "Planescape," (or its famed desktop RPG 'Torment.') The principal locale was an impossible, metaphysical city whose control was divided up among different philosophical factions.

The largest faction was no faction at all--all the citizens and travelers who avoided adopting any formal faction. They were nicknamed 'The Free League,' whose so-called members were often referred to as "Indeps," (for Independents.) There were loose and usually short affiliations within this 'grouping'; 'members' often banded together as circumstances warranted. Yet it had no charter, no doctrine, no structure, no leaders. That was really all they had in common.

So I'm curious how many prospective CoE players have no intention of joining a realm or guild before launch---and just stumble or role play their way into the player community through the game itself? Is that you? Please tell us about yourself!

I'm in that boat, too. It's not impossible I'll hitch my cart to a fiefdom before launch, but I'm a tough sell. I'm inclined to see how leaders and groups respond to the real game and ride the bull after launch before I join anything.

At the same time, I would like to make sure I land in or near a population of like-minded role players! When it's time to pick a server, I wouldn't mind having a group of buddies to launch with. Maybe that means we're coming in as a 'family' with a vague idea of character career ambitions. Or maybe we intend to RP as adversaries! Possibilities are endless! At this point, all we know for sure is that our biggest bond is indecisiveness.

Why can't we do a little networking too? Nothing to join, since you're already a 'Free Leaguer' by default. (I'm sure not your leader! Go pick on someone else!)

Feel free to post what you hope your game experience with other players will be like! Other folks might just reply or PM you! Maybe they're other Indeps like me. Maybe they're sage recruiters from the Realms and Guilds who have a good eye for new players--and think they can talk you into becoming a Joiner! That's ok, there's no loyalty or allegiance expected to 'The Free League.' Come and go as you like.

Maybe some 'bottom-up' groups might form: new families, new hamlets or neighborhoods, perhaps without a Mayor yet. Maybe a band of roving gypsies who don't want to pick a specific town to call home. Maybe a new RP 'table' coming in as competitors, who have the maturity to be friends as players while rivals/enemies as characters. Or some other thing I haven't even thought of yet!

If and when your new FL-born group becomes ready to pick a server, why not even start your own thread?

DPBoD2.jpg

4/20/2017 6:32:23 PM #1

I'm looking for family members, guild members, citizens for my town. You name it. I kind of like this idea because its one easy post where people can network and get in touch with what interests them

United we stand. Divided we fall. Friend Code: ABF605 Click my Banner to find out more

4/20/2017 10:20:12 PM #2

Cool, Varrgrym!

How do you see your town? Big or small? Any ideas yet on biome? Think your town will be largely devoted to one industry? If so, which?

DPBoD2.jpg

4/20/2017 10:32:09 PM #3

I will most likely have a medium to large town. biome. doesnt really matter, mountainous is preferred however. because i want my town to focus on blacksmithing and training warriors and adventurers :0)

United we stand. Divided we fall. Friend Code: ABF605 Click my Banner to find out more

4/21/2017 12:06:34 AM #4

Ahh, Defense industries! Very cool. I forget the names of the Tribes, but I could see a mix of the regulars and those short guys in your city. I'll bet some mining operations aren't too far off--maybe that's how your town was originally founded!

Military production center on some very high ground...you'd be one tough target for invading armies--and a powerful asset to the lucky Count/Duke/King who can claim you!

DPBoD2.jpg

4/21/2017 3:39:47 AM #5

Nice honest opinion Ecir_Edyah. I like your thoughts and it is well worth considering though. I like the open mindedness and it can really pay off in a great way at the end. Wherever you end up, you will know you belong there and not just stick with a group of people just for the sake of being in a group.

4/21/2017 9:38:58 AM #6

If your into doing RP stuff, then you should give the Blackheart Kingdom a look on NA-W. We have a lot of members who are very RP focused and we have a few RP events happening here and there. RP isn't for everyone i know, but Blackheart is where you'll find people doing it.

You don't have to join a group within Blackheart, you can be undecided up until launch if you so wish it, so we can't cater to that as well ;)

...but if you want to join a group within Blackheart that has some RPers in it, then Fennec Academy may also be for you as well (links in my signatiure). We are very Research and Education focused within CoE, so you can come and go as you please if your a student, or you can progress to be a teacher of whatever field you like, maybe that means you'll be out and about researching, we'll not tie you down to anything ;)

4/21/2017 11:31:57 AM #7

Our first commercial sponsor! Thanks Nagash!

Thanks for the kind words, RooiKreef! (Welcome to the Forums, by the way!)

How about you? Any intuitions yet of how your first Elyrian will be living life?

DPBoD2.jpg

4/22/2017 8:45:03 AM #8

It's my greatest pleasure Ecir_Edyah. I haven't cast anything in stone yet in regard to what I'm going to focus on with my character just yet. For now I'm just reading peoples thoughts and playing around with ideas in my head. I do like the idea of farming and harvesting, then trade with my crops. As for adventuring, I'm very open minded at the moment in regards to that. I do want to explore the lands and have a blast at PvP every now and again. But like I said, nothing is cast in stone for now and as I'm reading the forums and listening to peoples ideas, I will change my mind as to what I will focus on.

4/22/2017 11:48:15 PM #9

Keep us posted!

(You only have a year or two until launch, you know!) ;P

DPBoD2.jpg

5/27/2017 1:49:21 PM #10

Please Move To.....[hmmm....I need a ruling from the judges?]

This thread hasn't seen a lot of action yet, but I think something like it is a good idea and will pick up steam. The acceleration of new accounts we've seen lately is a good indicator.

Unfortunately, the new system doesn't have a place for Server-Undecided networking.

I think helping the undecided and fickle network with each other here on the boards (forming groups from the bottom-up instead of top-down) and THEN pick a server as a small group plugging into a larger, server-decided group is a strategy that helps everyone.

This notion may be achievable in other ways better than my thread here--I'm not too attached to it. Y'all may be miles ahead of me on this and that's fine.

If not, here is a possible suggestion:

Keep the general 'guild-recruitment' folder alive, with the express rule that "Server-Decided" groups may not start threads there. Or perhaps initiate a new folder specifically labeled "Server-Undecided Recruitment." (Or, if you'll permit me the hubris of naming it..."The Free League."

I strongly believe this foresight will generate more excitement and enthusiasm from new forum members and accelerate their package purchase.

DPBoD2.jpg

6/2/2017 3:38:32 AM #11

It's a good idea, but I can't guarantee it.

Putting that aside, however, with Settlement & Domain Selection on the horizon, it's not really a topic any group, guild, org, domain, etc, should be still undecided over anyway.

Unless you intend to sit back and let everyone else choose their settlements, domains, etc, you will need to choose soon or be making a potentially rushed decision later on.

FWIW, I was KS Backer #21 and wanted nothing but the best for this game.

6/5/2017 7:33:30 PM #12

I think you're right, Flash, with respect to players who have land holdings. I share the sense land selection may not be too far off. If I were one of those types, I'd be feeling the time crunch.

But those of us who have the luxury of picking at the very last minute--it'd be a boon to network sideways here instead of up. We can better ensure our immediate game environment is to our liking once we commit to each other first...then shop for a locality as a group.

Up until now, everything has really been centered around the vectors of convenience for upper-class packages since that constitutes the bulk of the active community (and SbS income) thus far. That's made sense and was 100% the right thing to do.

Yet success of this game depends on that falling by the wayside sooner or later...as floods of normal, entry-level characters will be needed. It would be nice if things become structured a little more conveniently for them.

Ultimately it becomes easier for the land-owners too--who can woo groups instead of whack-a-moling individuals one at a time.

DPBoD2.jpg

6/10/2017 12:53:48 PM #13

Ummmm...we've been moved to Angelica Organizations?

May I politely ask why that is the case?

:)

DPBoD2.jpg

6/13/2017 8:52:44 AM #14

I like this post. It reminds me of my fraternity days. A GDI (God D*ed Independent) would always be the one to ruin a good time. :P