COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Questions about being a mayor.
+7

My friends and I are excited for this game to come out so we can start our adventure together. I'm thinking about purchasing the mayoral package to start the game however, my major concern is How much free time would i have to adventure and actually play with my friends outside of trying to run a town and ensure its success and growth.

4/18/2017 10:36:54 PM #1
+10

"With each tier of government comes an extra couple man-hours of management a week. Hamlets maybe 1-2 hours per week spent managing/meeting regarding the hamlet, villages 2-4, towns 4-6, cities 6-8, and capitals 8-10. Remember, at the point where you’re running a Capital, you’ve got 250+ people residing within your domain. These are of course estimates. Those people who prefer to be more hands-off can delegate many of the duties to others, and those who prefer to be more involved can walk the settlements making improvements themselves."

These are all "Mayor" I believe. It depends on your settlement size. If you have a small town, a couple hours a week is pretty easy to get over. Also, if you pledge at that level, I believe you gain access to a few souls. You (probably) can run most of your mayoral duties as an OPC (running a script) and run around in the meantime with an alt. Then hop in every once in a while to check on your mayor to set parameters, like where to build what, etc.

There will likely be options available to you. But at the moment, we have nothing concrete for the mechanics.

4/18/2017 10:51:41 PM #2
+4

Welcome, and if you get a "Carriage for Two", they eventually get a copy of the game and can play at launch with you. Or they also can invest.

I warn you though, "packaging" is crazy addicting, and easy to go "well, for $X more..." then come up with reasons you need to upgrade...

Sincerely, Llewelyn Disgyndwr | Friend Code 6F977E

4/18/2017 11:07:10 PM #3
+1

Posted By Cave_N at 5:36 PM - Tue Apr 18 2017

"With each tier of government comes an extra couple man-hours of management a week. Hamlets maybe 1-2 hours per week spent managing/meeting regarding the hamlet, villages 2-4, towns 4-6, cities 6-8, and capitals 8-10. Remember, at the point where you’re running a Capital, you’ve got 250+ people residing within your domain. These are of course estimates. Those people who prefer to be more hands-off can delegate many of the duties to others, and those who prefer to be more involved can walk the settlements making improvements themselves."

These are all "Mayor" I believe. It depends on your settlement size. If you have a small town, a couple hours a week is pretty easy to get over. Also, if you pledge at that level, I believe you gain access to a few souls. You (probably) can run most of your mayoral duties as an OPC (running a script) and run around in the meantime with an alt. Then hop in every once in a while to check on your mayor to set parameters, like where to build what, etc.

There will likely be options available to you. But at the moment, we have nothing concrete for the mechanics.

You have no mayor until you are the size of a town.

4/18/2017 11:10:33 PM #4
+4

I am also extremely excited for this game to come out and I am considering the mayor package. Anyone have any ideas on how I should get started? I really want to run my own town, but am having difficulty deciding what to start with. I'm currently watching many different videos and reading the DJs.

4/18/2017 11:11:17 PM #5
+1

In reality, you can get the Mayor pack and not play as a Mayor at all, or only when you feel like it.

4/18/2017 11:12:56 PM #6
+4

You can also make people you trust roles that delegate power and permissions. The average mayor will have a town at start (may grow into a city, who knows). But at launch that means you fall under the 4-6 hour range. Divided 7 days is ~45m per day for the top 6 hour schedule. That's without delegations so once you set up a council type system you can expect that 45m a day estimate to go down. With the average game session being ~3-4 hours I conclude that a mayor title will take NO MORE than 25% of your overall time leaving 75% to focus on your own character/alts. Even more so if you do the 4 hour schedule instead of the 6. Choosing the 4 hour schedule means ~30m WITHOUT delegation.

Like I said tho, depending on how much you can actually delegate you may be able to just log in to check on your council and make sure they are doing there jobs then go do you. Depends.

Don't mistake passion and tenacity for toxicity and anger. If I want to hurt you, I will.

4/18/2017 11:33:31 PM #7
+2

I'll be a mayor at launch and fully intend on NOT having my Mayor character exploring. Bad idea in my opinion at this point in time.

I'll have a separate soul and character at launch to explore and adventure. If you a re very casual player, I'd say you may get annoyed by the Mayor responsibilities taking you away from the adventure life. If not, I'd say give it a go. It is all a crab-shoot. :-D

4/18/2017 11:45:41 PM #8
+1

As mentioned above the estimates of hours needed each week depend on size of the settlement. However, that is time needed to be put in, but it doesn't necessarily have to all be you. I am sure you could elect a co-ruler, a number 2 in command and entrust them with a healthy salary and authority while you're away with your friends.

There is no set way to rule. Some prefer to be hands on and doing everything. But sometimes effective ruling is being able to delegate and assign tasks and ensure their completion. Anything is possible if you have a plan in place to account for any issues that arise.

Aspiring Lumberjack, NA-W

4/19/2017 12:41:51 AM #9
+5

Thank you all for the advice! and great ideas and my mind is made up i'm gonna go for the mayor package!

4/19/2017 12:55:51 AM #10
+6

When pledging a Mayor tier, you need to decide if you want to run a community or a stronghold, the first being civilian and the latter being military. Sure you can mix and max the communities but you will need to find a focus. It is rumored that civilian communities might help with crafting where training in a stronghold might increase your combat learning rate.

As with most of the lower Aristocracy tiers you will Not own the town. Your name will be on the town charter however you can setup a city council to help you run the town and provide input. Once you get to know these council members and they understand what you want for the town, you can delegate tasks which can free up some time for you to assume a second profession. However the higher you climb in the Noble ranks the less time you will have for a distraction and once you hit a Count tier, it may be very hard to find extra time for a full time secondary profession.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria"

4/19/2017 2:04:14 AM #11
+0

Count tier is only like 1 hour a day w/o delegates. Plenty of time to do combat work, production or local gathering skills like hunting.

Don't mistake passion and tenacity for toxicity and anger. If I want to hurt you, I will.

4/19/2017 3:37:46 AM #12
+1

Posted By Sullen at 5:55 PM - Tue Apr 18 2017

As with most of the lower Aristocracy tiers you will Not own the town. Your name will be on the town charter however you can setup a city council to help you run the town and provide input. Once you get to know these council members and they understand what you want for the town, you can delegate tasks which can free up some time for you to assume a second profession.

From what I understand, as a Mayor you will own some parcels of land, but certainly not the entire town. The town council will be made up of the other land owners in the settlement. It may not be up to you to decide who is on it.

4/19/2017 9:15:35 AM #13
+0

It seems like there will be downtime for rest while in live play, I wonder if that can be used to perform admin tasks? What would be ideal is if the admin side was doable via an app rather than in game. I'd go for a higher tier if that were the case.

4/19/2017 10:43:40 AM #14
+2

@OP @HanktheTank

I pledged as a Mayor yesterday but like IronSide I intend to use an alt as my adventurer, still leaving me one spare spark & soul. The Mayor may go out on a few patrols and local hunts but I expect him to stay close to home most of the time.

[EU] The Town of Farwatch
Friend Code: EE4F89 A Friend in need is a friend indeed, a friend with mead is better

4/19/2017 11:41:38 AM #15
+1

Posted By Ravenlute at 12:37 AM - Wed Apr 19 2017

Posted By Sullen at 5:55 PM - Tue Apr 18 2017

As with most of the lower Aristocracy tiers you will Not own the town. Your name will be on the town charter however you can setup a city council to help you run the town and provide input. Once you get to know these council members and they understand what you want for the town, you can delegate tasks which can free up some time for you to assume a second profession.

From what I understand, as a Mayor you will own some parcels of land, but certainly not the entire town. The town council will be made up of the other land owners in the settlement. It may not be up to you to decide who is on it.

Everyone who owns land on a settlement will be part of the city council and who owns the majority will be the mayor. Devs said it wont be necessary total majority to be mayor (51%+) you only need to own more land than anyone else, but each member of the council can vote acordly to their percentage of land. So if you want to hold your title be sure to have 51% of lands always, and knowing that who give/sell lands is the Count, be sure to always be his closest friend :D.

I ll be a mayor too and as far as I know you can go for adventure no problem, you only need to account that the higher your influence the easier is to you permadeath.

All the mayor tasks can be delegated, as tax collection, city planning, etc. That´s on the contract feature.

House Dunn Ägnar