COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Questions about being a mayor.

My friends and I are excited for this game to come out so we can start our adventure together. I'm thinking about purchasing the mayoral package to start the game however, my major concern is How much free time would i have to adventure and actually play with my friends outside of trying to run a town and ensure its success and growth.

4/20/2017 5:06:24 AM #31

Look mate, Im gonna be a count, and you better believe I'll know ever inch of my land. But it has to be balanced with your duties over your subordinates. you owe them that much.

Count of Raberre's Rest

4/20/2017 7:05:56 AM #32

Posted By Takeda_Shinukage at 7:02 PM - Wed Apr 19 2017

Posted By Ravenlute at 5:06 PM - Wed Apr 19 2017

From the DJ: "The person "in charge" of the town is the Mayor and everyone else are members of the Town Council."

It doesn't say that they are removed either. A Council would be needed for votes or there wouldn't even be a Mayor.

Your taking that sentence out of context. Like I said (double checked), that sentence comes from a paragraph about ESTABLISHING towns from existing hamlets. In that system, a council is needed. Why? In a hamlet no one is mayor. Land owners are elders and make mutual decisions. So when it becomes a town ONE elder becomes mayor. What happens to the elders? It's only fair that they are council.

It says nothing about existing towns selected during land selection that have already existed for in-game decades. Also what do you mean the council is needed for votes? The mayor isn't elected and we have no information on in-game voting or law/policy making. Not to mention you aren't forced to choose a democratic government so in that case voting wouldn't even be a thing. Not sure where you connecting the dots on that one.

Why would there ever be a Council in the first place then? What is their purpose? What do they do? Would they continue to help make decisions about the settlement like they did when they were all Elders? Why would this change as time goes on?

4/20/2017 2:01:33 PM #33

Because as a game mechanic they serve entirely different purposes? The council acts as a fair distribution of power between community leaders that built a town together. Having random players and npcs trying to govern your town each having their own vision is detrimental to the overall system.

Gotta love being a count.

I don't know anymore.

4/20/2017 4:32:49 PM #34

I actually think there is perhaps more mayors then there needs to be. Most peoples ideas for running a town are not unique meaning there are other people wanting to build what they want, yet so many will struggle and wonder why no one is joining their town. Not saying dont get mayor package but good to connect with people a bit to know where is best to fit in and if you can benefit from pulling resources.

4/20/2017 4:56:47 PM #35

You'll be pleased to know there is a degree of flexibility ie for delegation. You might add a mate you play with to your in game family, and on top of that, you may decide to give him the same degree of authority within your town as yourself.

I've not yet seen a breakdown of how much delegation power we will have, but there certainly have been hints at it. In some cases, I've seen it suggested that Marriage can offer the same potential benefits if wanted.

As such, if you free time fluctuates, you can rely on those around you to keep things ticking over smoothly.

If you'd rather go for a smaller project, perhaps ask to run a village or even a tiny hamlet instead. The EP value of a mayoral title might enable to you secure 4 plots and a few buildings, to build something from the ground up as an alternative mini-project that has the potential to bring a deal of personal satisfaction too ;)

Based on the massive potential variation in county sizes, this might leave you with a great deal of flexibility too.

In short, go for it and grab a mayor tier, or grab some EP bundles and craft your own place ;)

4/20/2017 7:06:23 PM #36

Posted By Takeda_Shinukage at 07:01 AM - Thu Apr 20 2017

Because as a game mechanic they serve entirely different purposes? The council acts as a fair distribution of power between community leaders that built a town together. Having random players and npcs trying to govern your town each having their own vision is detrimental to the overall system.

That's where the votes come in, but that idea, like what you've said above, is pure speculation.

Fact is, at some point there is a Council involved in a Town. There is no proof anywhere that says it is ever disbanded.

4/20/2017 11:22:20 PM #37

Posted By Ravenlute at 3:06 PM - Thu Apr 20 2017

Posted By Takeda_Shinukage at 07:01 AM - Thu Apr 20 2017

That's where the votes come in, but that idea, like what you've said above, is pure speculation.

Fact is, at some point there is a Council involved in a Town. There is no proof anywhere that says it is ever disbanded.

The quoted has no speculation in it? Having a council thrown at you vs having the council you worked with is going to serve a different purpose. Not speculation. The council system enables fair distribution. Not speculation. Having people that want to build their own version of your town is detrimental. Not speculation. If you've ever played a team game where you need to decide on an objective and everyone goes their own way you would know that portion.

Fact is, the only place it talks about a council is when your town is a promoted from a village and no where does it imply that it exists in the towns/cities that are already formed nor does it imply a council is required to run a town. The fact that you tried to use an out of context quote as evidence further devalues your argument.

I'm not sure what your arguing at this point. My original response still stands correct. Reviewing what it said:

• The council system is for making towns

Correct, as described in the DJ the council system is for making towns.

• It doesn't say that they are required or needed in existing towns.

Correct again. It doesn't.

• SBS will not answer questions related to this at this point.

Correct....

Those were the 3 points in my original response so please pick which one is incorrect so I can understand what your arguing because it sounds like your trying to argue that they are 100% in every town and that isn't in the above list of points and is technically a strawman if I have been following right. I never said that they aren't, I said that we don't know and nothing says otherwise. Which is true...

I don't know anymore.

4/21/2017 7:52:02 AM #38

Posted By Takeda_Shinukage at 4:22 PM - Thu Apr 20 2017

I'm not sure what your arguing at this point. My original response still stands correct. Reviewing what it said:

• The council system is for making towns

Correct, as described in the DJ the council system is for making towns.

Nope, it doesn't describe what the Council is actually for, only that it exists. Not enough info.

• It doesn't say that they are required or needed in existing towns.

Correct again. It doesn't.

It also doesn't say that they are NOT required. Again, no info. You are assuming that they are not needed but nothing backs that up. Stating it doesn't make it so.

• SBS will not answer questions related to this at this point.

Correct....

Not correct, just unknown, despite your previous efforts. The next Q&A is an open one for all topics.

Those were the 3 points in my original response so please pick which one is incorrect so I can understand what your arguing because it sounds like your trying to argue that they are 100% in every town and that isn't in the above list of points and is technically a strawman if I have been following right. I never said that they aren't, I said that we don't know and nothing says otherwise. Which is true...

You are the one that came in swinging on how a Council wouldn't be around later, without having anything to back up that claim. This is the first time you said that we don't know and I agree with that. All we know is that a new Town starts with a Mayor and a Council which "is similar to Guild Leaders and Officers in other games." After that point, what happens to the Council is unknown, regardless of what might make sense to you or me, because of lack of info, and stating otherwise IS speculation.

Now that we've just been going around in circles about it for the past few posts, I'll make this my last in this thread. I've posted a question on the reddit for the upcoming Q&A simply asking, "What is the purpose of a Town Council?" Any answer should alleviate most of our argument. So if you want a shot at getting it finally answered, go upvote it.

4/21/2017 10:23:15 AM #39

I don't know what you two are arguing about. WHOEVER owns land in your settlement has a seat on the Council. If you built your settlement by scratch all by yourself, with only you owning EVERY parcel of land in that settlement, then you'd have a Town Council of One - You. And that is only while you manage to prevent others from buying land adding onto your settlement, which at present we do not know is even possible or not. Which is all besides the point, because all of us Baron+ backers are only getting a minor majority possession of the land plots in our towns. Which means all of us will be starting the game with a settlement that has other landowners in it, albeit NPCs, and these landowners will form your settlement's Town Council. There's no avoiding it.

Imgur Imgur

4/21/2017 10:42:19 AM #40

not sure why you guys are arguing about the time. what the devs says now might not even be true at launch. everyone fresh not knowing shit. it might also depends on were your located how many villages and how much teamwork you got in the village/domain

day one to 1 month might change the avg by Hours

What goes up must come down. Make something idiot-proof, and they will build a better idiot. If a plan is stupid, and it works, it isn't stupid.

4/21/2017 5:34:22 PM #41

The council system as described is used for when making towns lute.... I'm not gonna speculate and assume like you. I'm using the known info.

Your argument to all 3 points are you assuming things that aren't said. So using KNOWN INFO they are correct at this point in time..... Now if you wanna speculate that's cool but I never intended to argue fictional information as it is very much pointless.

Not to mention i never said they wouldn't....we don't know. Again ur assuming and basically admitted to strawman.

your assumption could or could not be right. could

I don't know anymore.

4/21/2017 6:59:53 PM #42

Sounds like a point to clarify in the next q&a session. Everyone go upvote questions related to it and the debate can be concluded once and for all. If the system functions like it did in a feudal system once one family is the aristocrat family there is no voting them out like it is a democracy where a land owner can call a flash election. But we don't know that this will be the case in COE yet.