COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Will there ever be a world boss fight?

Could there or will there ever be an event where maybe an entire nation, or maybe even the entire world has to come together to take down one evil force? This also brings me to another question. Could this evil force be a player who may have triggered an event to turn him into an evil ruler or something like that?

xd

4/20/2017 2:48:49 AM #1

There appears to already be plans for the possibility of a Lich, which would allow something like this to occur. Further, any king could potentially go evil, and dependent on politics, a full fledged server war is a possibility. There IS a deamonic force in this game, so something scare crazy happening requiring everyone, especially near the end of the 10 year story is possible.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

4/20/2017 2:49:46 AM #2

Player-liches are confirmed, so essentially world-bosses are a thing, at least as far as those are concerned.

4/20/2017 4:04:03 AM #3

Posted By Khruul at

Could there or will there ever be an event where maybe an entire nation, or maybe even the entire world has to come together to take down one evil force?

There could be.

This also brings me to another question. Could this evil force be a player who may have triggered an event to turn him into an evil ruler or something like that?

It could be.

4/20/2017 4:38:14 AM #4

lich king incoming :3

" Death is only the beginning ! "

Friend Code: 488BBA

4/20/2017 5:26:42 AM #5

Posted By Caspian at 8:04 PM - Wed Apr 19 2017

Posted By Khruul at

Could there or will there ever be an event where maybe an entire nation, or maybe even the entire world has to come together to take down one evil force?

There could be.

This also brings me to another question. Could this evil force be a player who may have triggered an event to turn him into an evil ruler or something like that?

It could be.

Hrmmm the Vagueness is strong in this one, yes!

4/20/2017 5:55:16 AM #6

Posted By Caspian at 9:04 PM - Wed Apr 19 2017

Posted By Khruul at

There could be.

It could be.

4/20/2017 7:23:59 AM #7

Also it was specifically a design experience to create a world boss. Though I have a feeling each king just bought themselves castles so they don't lose their titles.

4/20/2017 8:55:10 AM #8

Posted By Brynath at 10:26 PM - Wed Apr 19 2017

Posted By Caspian at 8:04 PM - Wed Apr 19 2017

Posted By Khruul at

There could be.

It could be.

Hrmmm the Vagueness is strong in this one, yes!

Let the snark flow through you, perfect.

Also, don't the Kickstarter royals (if not all king/queens??) get to help design a world event? The concept of a world boss being part and parcel of a world event would not seem so far fetched.

~ Goody Odsbodikins, Count of the Highest State. ~
Friend Code: F41EFF

4/20/2017 11:22:39 AM #9

Posted By Caspian at 06:04 AM - Thu Apr 20 2017

Posted By Khruul at

There could be.

It could be.

i love this response so much i find it hard to close this browsertab...

4/20/2017 11:25:59 AM #10

I think something to just tuck away at the back of one's mind when talking about stuff like this is that it would be unlike a world boss in most MMOs, respawning every 5, 10, 15 minutes or whatever. I'd expect it to be far more one-off and if you missed it, you missed it. That's the kind of world I think Elyria will be.

FWIW, I was KS Backer #21 and wanted nothing but the best for this game.

4/20/2017 11:54:27 AM #11

Low key excited for a giant beast to come kill everybody. Would be a fun time

United we stand. Divided we fall. Friend Code: ABF605 Click my Banner to find out more

4/20/2017 8:05:12 PM #12

Posted By Flashman at 08:25 AM - Thu Apr 20 2017

I think something to just tuck away at the back of one's mind when talking about stuff like this is that it would be unlike a world boss in most MMOs, respawning every 5, 10, 15 minutes or whatever. I'd expect it to be far more one-off and if you missed it, you missed it. That's the kind of world I think Elyria will be.

I partialy agree, sinnce this goes along with the philosophy of the game, unique things... non repeatable quests that open narrative possibilities. But i bet that we will indeed see repeatable quests, bosses etc... but not with a X minutes respawn or as easely trigered event.

Coss if you design; model; texture; rig; animate and script a "generic evil boss" that will apear only 1x in each server, during a 10 years storyline, you're throwing away work and budget if you don't have a very very strong narrative behind it... i think that In fact we may even see 1x and 1x only bosses/events but the bulk will be somehow repeatable.

If we consider that the time will pass, characters will grow old and things will not be permanent, the space is perfectly open for things like "the spirit that comes back every X years to take a child from the vilage" a.k.a respawned boss... if you respawn it every XRL months, i bet that every time it shows up the vilage will face it in a slightly diferent way. Its a diferent narrative, and in this case; a narrative that can tie up a group of players (the vilage) for RL months/years.

Other thinng to take in account is that the same event/boss could be spawned in diferent places at diferent times, taking the boss above as example: you spawn X of these bosses in the server, each time it is expeled from one vilage, it moves to another; being spawned after XRL months. Make it a hard quest to deal with the spirit, like "you must make a potion from these 3 rare ingredients and kill it during a full moon" and you have a narrative that helps to shape the culture of one region. (Yeah, i'm playing the withcer : ] )

Voila, a boss that is somehow repeatable, but adds narrative to a vilage. The problem isn't that it's repeatable, the problem is that there's no narrative behind the fact that it is repeatable. And i'm not saying that my example is good, just that there is room for good writen repeatable content. If coe manages to have both, non repeatable and good writen repeatable quests/boses/events, i think that will be a great step. How many farmers around the world know +- when the river will flood? they need this "repeatable event".

4/20/2017 8:21:41 PM #13

Posted By Eurickdm at 3:05 PM - Thu Apr 20 2017

Posted By Flashman at 08:25 AM - Thu Apr 20 2017

I partialy agree, sinnce this goes along with the philosophy of the game, unique things... non repeatable quests that open narrative possibilities. But i bet that we will indeed see repeatable quests, bosses etc... but not with a X minutes respawn or as easely trigered event.

Coss if you design; model; texture; rig; animate and script a "generic evil boss" that will apear only 1x in each server, during a 10 years storyline, you're throwing away work and budget if you don't have a very very strong narrative behind it... i think that In fact we may even see 1x and 1x only bosses/events but the bulk will be somehow repeatable.

If we consider that the time will pass, characters will grow old and things will not be permanent, the space is perfectly open for things like "the spirit that comes back every X years to take a child from the vilage" a.k.a respawned boss... if you respawn it every XRL months, i bet that every time it shows up the vilage will face it in a slightly diferent way. Its a diferent narrative, and in this case; a narrative that can tie up a group of players (the vilage) for RL months/years.

Other thinng to take in account is that the same event/boss could be spawned in diferent places at diferent times, taking the boss above as example: you spawn X of these bosses in the server, each time it is expeled from one vilage, it moves to another; being spawned after XRL months. Make it a hard quest to deal with the spirit, like "you must make a potion from these 3 rare ingredients and kill it during a full moon" and you have a narrative that helps to shape the culture of one region. (Yeah, i'm playing the withcer : ] )

Voila, a boss that is somehow repeatable, but adds narrative to a vilage. The problem isn't that it's repeatable, the problem is that there's no narrative behind the fact that it is repeatable. And i'm not saying that my example is good, just that there is room for good writen repeatable content. If coe manages to have both, non repeatable and good writen repeatable quests/boses/events, i think that will be a great step. How many farmers around the world know +- when the river will flood? they need this "repeatable event".

Except you expect the boss to be an NPC... most likely raid or word bosses will likely be Players who are on the far end of the alignment spectrum. Either becoming virtues or vices themselves. Or to a lessor extent liches/or the as yet unnamed light side variant.

The game seems to be designed with players as the actual enemy and the environment itself helping to kill you.

4/20/2017 8:27:41 PM #14

Posted By Malais at 4/20/2017 8:21:41 PM

Except you expect the boss to be an NPC... most likely raid or word bosses will likely be Players who are on the far end of the alignment spectrum. Either becoming virtues or vices themselves. Or to a lessor extent liches/or the as yet unnamed light side variant.

The game seems to be designed with players as the actual enemy and the environment itself helping to kill you.

Yeah, i was exemplifying with a boss, but it could be a event like a mistical fog/plague/curse that needs some sort of "quest" to be dispelled. Repeatable, but adds narrative.

4/20/2017 9:59:06 PM #15

We need loTs of dynamic events including world bosses , both player and non player controlled !! Gonna love the shit out of that when we finally Get in and see it in game XD