COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Shadow Shifter (Talent Idea)

Shadow Shifter is an ability that allows the PC to manipulate the shadows. Mostly being a movement/stealth talent, it also has some utilities such as cloning and body swapping via shadows on the ground. This talent is broken up into 5 tiers that can be gained via character age and skill use:

• Tier 1] Starts at age 15 and allows the player to speak with their shadow which, with time, forms an unbreakable bond with the PC and allows utilization of itself.

• Tier 2] Age 18 is where it gets interesting; Your shadow will begin to grow in power and (with skill progression) will gain the ability to manipulate the shadows of inanimate objects.

• Tier3] At age 20 your shadow becomes so powerful that it can control the shadows of other PC's and NPC's. It also gains a branch of skills that can be attained with progression:

• Shrouded Clone] Your shadow comes to life, taking a form similar to your own, attaining a set few of your own abilities and becoming a temporary NPC that fights your enemies by your side. This lasts 5 seconds and consumes stamina.

• Shadow Feint] For a very short period (4 seconds) you become a shadow on the ground, able to move slightly faster than a sprint and gaining the ability to move through a select few types of walls and barriers

• Shady Strings] Allows the player to directly manipulate any shadow for 2 seconds to do two different things:

• Anchor] Your shadow fuses with an enemy shadow to root it for 1.3 seconds

• Dominicide] Command an enemy shadow to materialize strike their master once to blur vision for a couple seconds.

• Blurred Motion] You, briefly, phase to the form of a shadow and teleport 2 meters in a select direction

• Tier 4] Skill progression ever improves the effectiveness of each skill in very small increments

• Shrouded Clone] Becomes more powerful, but uses more stamina

• Shadow Feint] Allows you to move slightly faster in this form, but eats life force (eats 2 minutes of PC lifespan per use).

• Shady Strings] Both abilities gain more utility

• Anchor] Allows PC to switch places with shadow, allowing for a more direct approach in combat. Consumes half a stamina bar

• Dominicide] Enemy shadow strikes the legs afterwards, applying a slow. Has a 10% chance to trip

• Blurred Motion] Distance increases 1 meter at max. Less stamina is used; trade-off is 2 minutes of lifespan lost.

• Tier 5] All skills begin to consume another minute of total lifespan past age 50 as well as 5-10% of HP per use (depending upon the skills used) turning it into black health that regenerates to green health very slowly or with potions. An ultimate skill is gained at age 30:

• Darkwave] A talent that requires all talent skills at maximum improvement to attain. This skill activates all the time the shadow has consumed to fuse with the PC and allow them to use all skills without penalty, increasing overall speed and applying DoTs to attacks. This form is a toggle and can only be used in increments of 3 minutes. It slowly burns stamina until fatal and leaves the PC in a vulnerable state but with all cooldowns, save for this skill. You are allowed to use both shadow and character skills and weapons during this period. Can only be used once per 24 hours.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ NOTE The above list of skills corresponding to tiers 1-4 are ideas that are open to interpretation. The ability in tier 5 is a staple of this talent and, thus, will remain ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Myrkul is always with us...

4/21/2017 5:55:26 AM #1

Sounds like a LoL concept champion, but this isn't LoL.

Also that concept sucks

You may have erased my signature, but you can't corner the dorner

4/21/2017 6:30:57 AM #2

Posted By OrangeBoy at 10:55 PM - Thu Apr 20 2017

Sounds like a LoL concept champion, but this isn't LoL.

Also that concept sucks

I can assure you that it isn't an LoL concept... As for your opinion, to each his own I guess

4/21/2017 6:32:26 AM #3

This is basically magic, which is a rarity in coe.

4/21/2017 5:09:36 PM #4

Edit: Delete

4/22/2017 10:25:29 PM #5

Edit: Delete

4/23/2017 12:01:34 PM #6

Not a fan tbh.

"Fire magic" works and is interesting because of its simplicity while still retaining the power to be interesting and dramatic.

"Weather control" works and is interesting because of its simplicity while retaining the power to be interesting and dramatic [especially for a Pirate king].

The reason I say this is because they work WITH the game extremely easily, without massive amounts of complexity and reworking being needed to bring it into reality. What you're suggesting is pretty rework-intensive. It could take a long time to create something like this. Besides you have no idea how the magic will work.

If magic drains your soul, then casting a shadow spell for a shadow clone for 5 seconds is hardly worth it. But I guess it's functionality wouldn't end there. I wouldn't object to 'shadow magic' which is what you're saying put in brief terms, but the specific 'abilities' you are talking about do seem very MOBA-esq. Most likely because you've spent a significant amount of time going over this idea you've had, which I can respect. But I also think that amount of time has put you into a bubble; a seperate universe from what is real and what is possible. A talent idea should be more of a concept than a list of spell attacks.

4/23/2017 1:28:42 PM #7

How did talking to an imaginary friend give the dude powers?

Jokes aside. It's not too intensive @Sagan. You need to be able to spawn a humanoid and gain buffs while near shadows.

I don't know anymore.

4/24/2017 3:33:14 PM #8

Posted By Sagan at 05:01 AM - Sun Apr 23 2017

Most likely because you've spent a significant amount of time going over this idea you've had, which I can respect. But I also think that amount of time has put you into a bubble; a seperate universe from what is real and what is possible.

I mean, I put up ideas that came to mind and basically invented a list of what I thought would make an idea like this work. Nothing's ever set in stone, but it's always nice to have an idea of how something would work. Otherwise I'd have just thrown that out there as a vague idea.

A talent idea should be more of a concept than a list of spell attacks.

Think of this from the developer's standpoint: given such a vague idea with maybe a small description of how it works, I would be less inclined to look into something someone simply put down. Someone who's put a lot of thought into an idea gains more consideration and more recognition. Being so conservative about putting an idea down can only prove to have an opposite effect, but that's just my opinion. I, honestly, wanted this to stand out and get people talking; it's been slow but it's gotten something of a conversation started so far, I guess.

If magic drains your soul, then casting a shadow spell for a shadow clone for 5 seconds is hardly worth it. But I guess it's functionality wouldn't end there.

The idea that it drains your soul is meant to be a counterbalance of sorts. It also drains stamina. It makes it worth it to use it in certain combat situations but discourages the user from abusing such an ability. Tbh, I think it should drain more time 1 minute seems a bit too leniant in this case.

I wouldn't object to 'shadow magic' which is what you're saying put in brief terms, but the specific 'abilities' you are talking about do seem very MOBA-esq.

I agree with this statement! It may be because I spend a lot of my time in mobas. The difference being that instead of levels gained by grinding, you gain abilities as your character matures and achieves combat expertise (though I guess that does sound similar to the idea of a MOBA's system of levels and abilities). Although, I cannot ignore the fact that talents would probably use a system similar to this. It would make sense as CoE isn't a typical mmo and everything has a story; in this case the story is that your shadow becomes a partner who matures alongside you and gains abilities that it shares with its host. It's like having a twin bound to your shadow.

"Fire magic" works and is interesting because of its simplicity while still retaining the power to be interesting and dramatic.

"Weather control" works and is interesting because of its simplicity while retaining the power to be interesting and dramatic [especially for a Pirate king].

The reason I say this is because they work WITH the game extremely easily, without massive amounts of complexity and reworking being needed to bring it into reality. What you're suggesting is pretty rework-intensive. It could take a long time to create something like this. Besides you have no idea how the magic will work.

That being said, I gave an idea of how this concept would work rather than leave it entirely to everyone's imagination which, in turn, helps people pick things apart better and apply their own logic to it. I do believe that something similar to this could easily function in a game like CoE. Remember this: CoE is a sandbox game with MANY possibilities as well as functionalities and has room for just about any idea. It's not like I'm posting this a week before release haha. I'm sure if this idea is considered they'll put their own spin on it. As for having no idea how the magic will work? No one does just yet but, with all due respect sir, I don't know what makes you more knowledgeable on how a game like this would work magic in - given that you gave examples of what would work in a game like this. Weather control magic could easily be just as difficult to program as shadow magic would. It all depends on how the devs handle their game. Nothing's set in stone on either side as of yet, so please don't be so fast to shun my idea. Apologies, that statement irked me and I just wanted it to be known that no one knows better just yet. Thanks for the feedback, nevertheless

4/24/2017 5:01:38 PM #9

Interesting idea.

Once in a while I'd love to see shadow people exploring at night. Would be pretty cool, though that sort of thing creeps some people out lol.

Perhaps your rare talent might start by making your character unafraid and able to freely interact with them.

A shadow projection ability sounds like a simple scouting trick too :) A master might spot shadows and instantly know their source, perhaps adopt some lol.

4/24/2017 6:17:37 PM #10

Posted By Oracle at 10:01 AM - Mon Apr 24 2017

Interesting idea.

Once in a while I'd love to see shadow people exploring at night. Would be pretty cool, though that sort of thing creeps some people out lol.

Perhaps your rare talent might start by making your character unafraid and able to freely interact with them.

A shadow projection ability sounds like a simple scouting trick too :) A master might spot shadows and instantly know their source, perhaps adopt some lol.

I feel as though this skill needs to be bound to some lore, although haha. Maybe a questline to go along with it? I could probably whip something up and have it coincide with some of the lore associated with our lord Myrkul. The point of this skill was that I thought it would go well with an assassin playstyle, which is what I'm going for. I could also see this work for a mage and maybe even a support player. But it would, obviously, have to be classified as a dark/shadow magic just for consistency's sake

4/24/2017 6:24:37 PM #11

How would this idea work if you didn't trigger your talent till you were older? Would you skip all the starter steps and just start more powerful? Not that I think any talent should have that many different spells anyway. Seems like many talents all within one.

4/24/2017 7:05:50 PM #12

Posted By Gunnlang at 11:24 AM - Mon Apr 24 2017

How would this idea work if you didn't trigger your talent till you were older? Would you skip all the starter steps and just start more powerful? Not that I think any talent should have that many different spells anyway. Seems like many talents all within one.

So, basically, you spawn in game with this ability. Typically you'd start at age 15 and, from here, you begin noticing that your shadow speaks. It startles you, at first (as it would anyone) but you eventually get used to it and begin developing a relationship with it. It grows as you do like an identical twin would. Only difference is your twin is also your shadow and has powers that, you too, can tap into. The first step is building the relationship and trust with your counterpart. As you grow older and more experienced, so does your shadow which grants more abilities overtime. In real life, people who turn 30 are seen as "in their prime" meaning they've finished growing and have a much better understanding of the world as well as more experience with everything. This is your shadows pique and will grant the final ability. It seems to be a series of separate abilities but the actual talent is utilizing your shadow which, in turn, can serve many different functions. The abilities listed are what I'd view as ideal but are, in fact, subject to interpretation :) hope this answers your question sir.

4/24/2017 7:13:38 PM #13

I feel that many talents, especially magic talents, would have more than just one spell, ability, trigger, attack, etc. For instance the ability to use fire magic would be more than simply throwing around fire. Maybe you could summon fire from the ground or utilize body heat or even breathe fire! There's always more than one way to do something which is why we have more than one skill to use in MMOs. Or it could just as easily be a simple thermal utilization that allows you to make fire much easier and faster than normal means like a conveniance talent? Who knows? Now, obviously, not all talents are made for combat; for instance, I imagine this talent as a utilitarian talent and can be used to coincide with combat. Same with utilizing weather or shapeshifting. They can be interpreted differently but nothing is ever set in stone until Soulbound Studios and the CoE team decides how things are going to work in their game's engine.

4/24/2017 8:50:22 PM #14

It's odd I've never heard the name Myrkul. Makes for a good read though. It's a used name though. Would be a successor :)

4/24/2017 11:35:50 PM #15

Posted By Panzer at 03:56 AM - Fri Apr 07 2017

Your worship is duly noted,

Myrkul does not determine our path, Myrkul is always with us.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/18364/nae-undead-lords-kingdom-of-kairos