COMMUNITY - FORUMS - THE TAVERN
APAC Promotion

Hello, I was just wondering if there was some kind of competition to pull new APAC players to the game by gifting copies of game as prizes do people think they would contribute to the prizes?

I think Australia does have enough of a player base to have a decent server but there has been next to no marketing in Australia which I think is the main issue.

I personally would try to do this, but with no way to gift anything at the moment its quite tricky. So that is why I am posting this to see how much of a need for gifting there is.

I feel like I am missing opportunities at the moment I know some groups of Larp players will be finishing sessions during our holidays and looking for somewhere to get a RPing fix while they are still buzzed.

The more people that know earlier the more of a chance for word to spread by game launch, I suspect will be a lot of missed revenue if marketing doesn't start till after launch with people no longer able to make bigger pledges.

It could make sense if SBS did some youtube stream with an Australian Youtuber to generate some interest. I don't really watch 'youtubers' much but I am sure there must be some people in here that know a few popular Australians streamers etc.

4/22/2017 5:41:59 AM #1

While I am all for more people from our area of the globe being exposed to CoE, I think you believe marketing to be more localised than it actually is. I personally watch a fair amount of youtube content, and I don't think I watch a single Australian, for two reasons.

The first being there are basically no Australian youtubers, because our internet is mostly terrible, which makes streaming difficult, and constantly uploading videos and downloading new games a bit of a chore. The second being I personally don't really care if the person I watch content from lives in the same country as I do.

There are more complicated points to this issue. Australia's population is smaller, and we have less of a density of MMO players, partly because most games don't have Australian servers. There are probably other reasons, but basically none of my friends play MMO's, yet I know plenty who play the churned out console trash franchises.

Word of mouth is great for marketing, and I would happily try to convince my friends to play with me, but none of them play MMO's. Other than that, the people out here who do play MMO's will have no trouble at all finding out about CoE by looking on youtube and other places like game news sites, having an Australian person promoting it has basically nothing to do with it.

If you are new to the community, the Design Journals will answer a lot of your questions.

4/22/2017 5:45:01 AM #2

At the moment, I think it is just word of mouth. I tell a lot of people about it, but they plan to wait until launch. Like me, they don't really like to preorder a terrible lot (however I did pledge to this game for the potential).

Maybe closer to launch date they'll do some marketing with EB Games?

Also, getting to the game cons like PAX Australia would also be a novel idea.

Jamais Arrière

4/22/2017 6:33:02 AM #3

If the person doing the recruiting was big into CoE already (and you'd assume so, if they were recruiting for it), why would they need a free copy of the game as incentive?

Wouldn't they already have one?

FWIW, I was KS Backer #21 and wanted nothing but the best for this game.

4/22/2017 6:58:36 AM #4

Just get Ozzy Man to do a review about anything. Sure people will laugh their ass off more than anything else. But enough people will see it then.

But join some form of an Aussie page on facebook and share it around there or in Aussie gaming groups would do more. But the fact is not a whole lot of people in general like to back games this early. We have a pretty high number (for us) already backed. Just you are comparing it to US numbers.

4/22/2017 7:12:02 AM #5

i would join apac if it becomes a thing i mean im from the same side of the world

" Death is only the beginning ! "

Friend Code: 488BBA

4/22/2017 8:06:15 AM #6

I was thinking if say i went to some other community and said "Hey here is a competition for a free thing" would have a more positive association than "Hey come join me in this game".

I don't think doing nothing is the answer.

I think local source of information does make a difference, like I think PAX East would have a bigger impact on East US than anywhere else.

It is early and I know the population is small but still I think its maybe at about half or less of what it could be. Its not the server population that needs to be pulled in but the influential members. I want APAC to succeed so just trying to think of what can be done to build up its hopes.

4/22/2017 9:13:39 AM #7

I think the size of the Australian community in CoE is pretty significant when you consider you guys have half the population of little old England.

It'll grow with time, but for now it seems like it's doing just fine when you consider demographics. If anything I think SBS should try to tap into the Asian market as that would really fill out the APAC servers.

4/22/2017 10:13:26 AM #8

Posted By Reikan at 6:06 PM - Sat Apr 22 2017

I was thinking if say i went to some other community and said "Hey here is a competition for a free thing" would have a more positive association than "Hey come join me in this game".

Having personally handled competitions like this, it is honestly not as good for community growth as you would think. You mostly just get a flood of fake emails from people wanting free stuff not really caring what it is. You would do far better to write a informative post in such communities explaining what drew you into CoE than just saying "hey there is a competition for free copies", because anyone who doesn't win does not hang around.

I don't think doing nothing is the answer.

I am not suggesting nothing be done, I just don't think the things you are suggesting are really that effective personally.

I think local source of information does make a difference, like I think PAX East would have a bigger impact on East US than anywhere else.

I agree, but setting up a booth at a local convention is far different to specifically seeking out Australian youtubers over any other nationality.

It is early and I know the population is small but still I think its maybe at about half or less of what it could be. Its not the server population that needs to be pulled in but the influential members. I want APAC to succeed so just trying to think of what can be done to build up its hopes.

I think that considering our population will (hopefully and likely) be boosted by South East Asia (the server is APAC after all, not Australia), our numbers should be fine. I raised the question in another thread about whether SBS are taking our unique population into consideration, and I was pretty satisfied with the info I received. They are aware that numbers will be important for us, and are ready to create unique conditions on our server.

As a brief note, they have mentioned that overseas conventions are not on the table at the moment, as the costs just outweigh the benefits too much. In the future it might be a thing, or if they can't make it themselves, then this is where I would say making a partnership with local individuals would make sense.

If you are new to the community, the Design Journals will answer a lot of your questions.

4/29/2017 7:22:27 AM #9

I don't think outreach like this really going to be a priority for them until they have a playable game, if I had to guess.

ayy lmao