COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Mental state.

As I was watching the "Silver Run Mine Design Walkthrough", and saw the miners clutching their heads, I wondered if CoE will feature some sort of mental state for PCs. As seen in the video, the Silver Run Mine is the sort of place that gives you the chills, so can we expect our characters to get some debuffs that hinder movement or vision (hallucinations) or ... in stressful situations ? such as exploring places like the Silver Run Mine, battling powerful foes or encountering your first 'monster'.

4/24/2017 2:31:14 PM #1

That would be a cool addition.!

4/24/2017 3:04:36 PM #2

TBH, it's not exactly heroic to wet your panties at the first sight of a monster, or worse, walking into a scary looking place. :D :D

The hallucinations would be interesting as side effects of eating unknown plants, and perhaps trying to discover uses for them as part of a skill tree/profession.

Friend Code: 4AC3A3

4/24/2017 3:32:11 PM #3

Posted By COECipher at 01:04 AM - Tue Apr 25 2017

TBH, it's not exactly heroic to wet your panties at the first sight of a monster, or worse, walking into a scary looking place. :D :D

The hallucinations would be interesting as side effects of eating unknown plants, and perhaps trying to discover uses for them as part of a skill tree/profession.

Well that's assuming you are heroic in the first place. If you are a simple miner, you wouldn't expect to have to deal with some kind of a monster. Over a battle hard warrior.

No doubt someone will probably use some plant in a DE to give you some hallucination effects. Would be cool to see them around as well.

4/24/2017 3:35:38 PM #4

I think the team should work on the player feeling nervous instead of the character..It would suck to die in a skill base game due to something that was out of your control.If it's not out of your control it would most likely be a stat and would most likely force adventures to have this stat if they don't want debuffs...I personally, wouldn't want stats...If the devs could make the atmosphere so creepy that I don't pay attention to where I'm walking causing me to fall to my death I would like that.

4/24/2017 6:48:59 PM #5

While I certainly understand the fact that it would feel bad dying because of something out of your control, I also feel it'd be unrealistic if you saw a legendary daemon and your character wasn't awed/afraid, maybe you could stand the pressure because you are a seasoned warrior ... so it would be nice if there was a stat for stress resistance.

4/24/2017 7:46:23 PM #6

Posted By Accelert0r at 1:48 PM - Mon Apr 24 2017

While I certainly understand the fact that it would feel bad dying because of something out of your control, I also feel it'd be unrealistic if you saw a legendary daemon and your character wasn't awed/afraid, maybe you could stand the pressure because you are a seasoned warrior ... so it would be nice if there was a stat for stress resistance.

Keep in mind we as players (not NPCs) are literally immortal. Our bodies may die but we are reborn by soul jacking some poor regular person. We are not exactly a simple miner or whatever. We are immortal beings that are directly tied to the fate of the world. I would be extremely upset if my character wet himself in the face of a daemon.

4/24/2017 7:53:13 PM #7

Fear meter should only appear when in the depths or clutches of a very evil place / being . For instance , the Lich and vampires are confirmed , if I'm to guess I would say that the fear meter could be used here really well.

You find a wall inside a well known dungeon with an invisible passageway , it appeared due to some world event and you found it first . After entering the passage things could start to affect your character beyond your control , and if you play your cards right in the cave you won't be consumed by fear / evil , exiting the passageway with some good loot and an invisible curse - one which could either turn you into a lich/ vampire over time or maybe it would do a number of other things , depending on what you did afterwards .

Lots of great possibilities in this game but if we are to be subject to a fear type personality trait we damn well better get it in a place with lots of reward that everyone else who enters would get or else that's just aids . Kind of like a contamination zone , but with corrupting , evil ass power .

4/24/2017 7:54:18 PM #8

Posted By Accelert0r at 2:48 PM - Mon Apr 24 2017

I think at that point you should be scared as a player..If a game needs to tell you how to feel via your character I feel like it failed..But with perma being a thing and a super daemon has claws that look like it can slice me in half...My response will be get the fuck out..

4/24/2017 8:55:45 PM #9

Posted By Deftly at 2:54 PM - Mon Apr 24 2017

I think at that point you should be scared as a player..If a game needs to tell you how to feel via your character I feel like it failed..But with perma being a thing and a super daemon has claws that look like it can slice me in half...My response will be get the fuck out..

That may be but human reactions to things like fear when you aren't used to feeling it is often a paralyzing event, however, no matter how hard they try SBS cannot make you so physically scared by anything in a game that you will cease to control your character out of fear. You simply cannot be immersed enough.

It would be interesting to have some sort of stat that can affect your character based on fear in intense situations that may give you a better edge next time you face something else that is fear inducing.

Join Freeport County, we like boats. And dogs.

4/24/2017 9:44:34 PM #10

Posted By Malais at 7:46 PM - Mon Apr 24 2017

Keep in mind we as players (not NPCs) are literally immortal. Our bodies may die but we are reborn by soul jacking some poor regular person. We are not exactly a simple miner or whatever. We are immortal beings that are directly tied to the fate of the world. I would be extremely upset if my character wet himself in the face of a daemon.

Of course, but how about your first life ? Unless you start for the first time with a powerful soul or incarnate a powerful NPC, you would be a fledgling immortal who has yet to discover what the world has to offer, hence the idea for the stress resistance stat, while you die and reincarnate, you accumulate actual experience and perks that are being carried with you, one of them being a certain amount of tolerance for stress.

4/24/2017 9:48:37 PM #11

Brings to mind the madness mechanics from the Call of Cthulhu tabletop RPG. It could be an interesting system to add. But IMO unless an emotion/sanity system has a use more broadly (i.e. in settlements, daily life, not just unexplored scary places), I can live without it so that SBS can spend time on other things.

Avid wiki editor, with a special interest in categories, navboxes, and infoboxes.

4/24/2017 9:57:42 PM #12

Posted By Accelert0r at 4:44 PM - Mon Apr 24 2017

Posted By Malais at 7:46 PM - Mon Apr 24 2017

Of course, but how about your first life ? Unless you start for the first time with a powerful soul or incarnate a powerful NPC, you would be a fledgling immortal who has yet to discover what the world has to offer, hence the idea for the stress resistance stat, while you die and reincarnate, you accumulate actual experience and perks that are being carried with you, one of them being a certain amount of tolerance for stress.

To me his mechanic offers very little "fun" for the amount of work needed to make it work realistically. I.e. Warriors don't frighten as easily as a chef ect. Especially when you can easily explain it via lore during the cinematic opening in the Akasha Records library (or whatever it's actually called).

Nice idea but way to much to easy for it to go sideways for me.

4/24/2017 10:16:38 PM #13

as fun as this sounds it would be silly to force a character emotions you as a player should feel it not your character . so no i dont think adding something like fear is a good idea well thats only my opinion

" Death is only the beginning ! "

Friend Code: 488BBA

4/24/2017 11:11:13 PM #14

Posted By COECipher at 10:04 AM - Mon Apr 24 2017

This isn't a game where everyone is a hero.

However, I don't think it's fair to leave it up to RNG when the risks of heroism are already high. Not only do you have to risk your character, but the game has to allow you to be able to risk your character.

4/25/2017 1:37:47 AM #15

Posted By Deftly at 9:54 PM - Mon Apr 24 2017

This^ Miguel actually talks about this in that video. When the music changes from heroic to horror. I believe CoE will set the mood for horror (when it warrants it) as equally as setting the mood for calm in a serene meadow with a minor graphics and music changes.

But I don't agree that we should have a fear meter, because it may not apply to the gatherer and producers of the game. It's an unnecessary mechanic, when all you need is low lighting, and scary music (the barebones of horror).

https://discord.gg/esT7wMN