COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Assassin Gameplay

Excuse me if this is already a topic spoken about, but i am curious about Assassin type game play and would like to know if anyone had any ideas. I read a little on how pvp was going to work and it has me worried about playing an assassin or hit man type of character.

i dont want to go into detail of the ways i was looking to play as it may sound silly but that could affect my game play during actual launch. But as an assassin your biggest advantage would be no one would know you were an assassin. Now i may be wrong but from what ive heard/read if you kill a pc not flagged for pvp (or somthing along that line) while you can do it, you will be flagged as a criminal type. This would then have you flagged as a killer...instantly. This defeats the purpose of an assassin whos job is to get in and out with no one knowing. Your best friend could have been the assassin but no one knows, however if you are instantly tagged it means people will know.

Now i get if there was not any repercussions every one would run around killing people for no reason. But does anyone know if thought has been put into guidelines or certain way to kill targets without being marked (like if no one sees you do it or points out what youve done with some sort of proof then you are not marked as a criminal)

Example Some one puts a target on Kings head. Kings hard to kill Some one poisons kings glass or food with no one noticing Will he instantly be labled a criminal if the king injests it and dies?

4/28/2017 10:23:37 AM #1

first of all, im not sure how much of this would work out. part of it is likely that you are "flagged" if you are seen by a group of people in a town and then you are "flagged" in that town. this is also likely tied to your current identity and you can have false ones. your identity is tied to the information you give out and your appearance. this is true for other crimes as well. if no one notices i doubt you would be labeled a criminal becasue it would make certain aspects of the criminal tree that they mentioned somewhat pointless. to completely hide your identity though you will probably need to have both a full false identity and something to obscure information (a mask, etc).

4/28/2017 11:50:44 AM #2

I would recommend reading:

http://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/15891/should-we-be-able-to-knock-out-people-from-stealth?page=1#post167028

http://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/11645/assassination-the-final-blow?page=1#16

So flagging won't really work like that unless reported, the guards won't know instantly that you committed a murder unless you're literally doing it infront of them etc. But there'll always be 1 witness to a murder that'll be able to report it.

You also can't flag yourself for pvp, flagging yourself for things like that isn't a thing. You can attack and be attacked by anyone, also names won't automatically be displayed over people's head.

Also I don't know if poison will be instant (within 6 seconds and you're dead) or if you'll need to continually poison them over a period of a time, or if they need to digest x amount of poison. But I'll suggest reading at least the two threads I linked.

4/28/2017 1:00:42 PM #3

Flagging doesn't work exactly like wow where if you engage in PvP everyone know it..Flagging as a criminal just means that the system knows you committed a crime.. If people see you do it, that's different...

One thing SBS always says is that "there is always one witness to a murder" so even if you shoot some that's totally a lone in the back of the head you'll drop evidence that can be used to find you...The evidence would be so little that the criminal investigation skills to even find it would have to be really high though.

4/28/2017 1:08:15 PM #4

the OP raises an interesting point...will important pc's have to employ food tasters???

4/28/2017 1:20:02 PM #5

Posted By Elfseeker at 08:08 AM - Fri Apr 28 2017

the OP raises an interesting point...will important pc's have to employ food tasters???

Yeah probably. Or develop the skills themselves to detect poisons and other forensic like skills. I think the top skills any leader will need are: detection of forged documents, diplomacy, and detection of false identities. Then either employ a food taster or learn to spot poison yourself.

4/28/2017 1:50:37 PM #6

So what happens if the server population winds up being 80%+ assassin? Hell on Elyria. Get those 2nd lives ready.

Friend Code: 4AC3A3

4/28/2017 2:30:27 PM #7

Posted By COECipher at 08:50 AM - Fri Apr 28 2017

So what happens if the server population winds up being 80%+ assassin? Hell on Elyria. Get those 2nd lives ready.

Everyone starves to death is what happens

4/28/2017 2:33:13 PM #8

I doubt 80% will be assassins, you have to actually have skills not to get caught and when you do get caught for murder you take a big hit to your overall life...People disliking you in this game mean much more than people just not liking gankers...

For instance if you are trying to be an assassin/bandit by yourself, you kill someone in the neighboring town or on the road to rob them and you get caught. The merchant complains to the mayor of your town, the mayor outlaws you from the town, the npcs gossip about you being a killer and that spreads to places in walking/cart distance...The neighboring towns rather not accept you because of that and turn you away..You have low survival skills due to you working on combat and deviant skill and this leads to you dying a lot in the wilds..You are getting frustrated and annoyed, at this point you rather just do something else beside being an assassin/ganker...I feel like this is going to be what happens to most of the assassins at start..

4/28/2017 3:03:22 PM #9

Thanks guys, super helpful.

Im reading the links now and knowing you can have false identities is a relief, kinda goes along with what i was thinking!

The idea of having a false identity and systematically placing "assassins" in positions with favour seems awesome to me.

Im definitely thinking less stealth and more super discrete.

I.E The Lords personal doctor serves as his doctor, but is an assassin first for a cult or w.e that got him the position of power. Lord gets a hit put on him, doctor poisons him and no one knows.

This game just gets me so excited haha

The possibilities!!!!

i guess sleeper agent would be a better term then Assassin.

4/28/2017 4:37:24 PM #10

Posted By Deftly at 10:33 AM - Fri Apr 28 2017

I doubt 80% will be assassins, you have to actually have skills not to get caught and when you do get caught for murder you take a big hit to your overall life...People disliking you in this game mean much more than people just not liking gankers...

For instance if you are trying to be an assassin/bandit by yourself, you kill someone in the neighboring town or on the road to rob them and you get caught. The merchant complains to the mayor of your town, the mayor outlaws you from the town, the npcs gossip about you being a killer and that spreads to places in walking/cart distance...The neighboring towns rather not accept you because of that and turn you away..You have low survival skills due to you working on combat and deviant skill and this leads to you dying a lot in the wilds..You are getting frustrated and annoyed, at this point you rather just do something else beside being an assassin/ganker...I feel like this is going to be what happens to most of the assassins at start..

Yup the devs just have to make random killing somewhat pointless (for lack of A better term) . In other games it's too easy to kill someone innocent and take all their loots , it's a great and free system that I would never take away but we need a little bit of balance because in real life people care about living and dying but in game people can just throw money at the screen and live again after a bad decision .

So in other words being a deviant that can effectively evade the law should take a smart criminal , someone who researches constant new disguises , someone who seeks out ancient trainers in the art of pickpocketing or thievery . Killing and not being noticed should be an earned privelige , not a right that anyone can indulge in and run away for two minutes to become innocent again (mortal Onlines terrible flagging system in action that punished lawful players and encourages consequence free noob ganking).

4/28/2017 5:18:09 PM #11

Posted By Grapefruitkush at 11:37 AM - Fri Apr 28 2017

Posted By Deftly at 10:33 AM - Fri Apr 28 2017

Yup the devs just have to make random killing somewhat pointless (for lack of A better term) . In other games it's too easy to kill someone innocent and take all their loots , it's a great and free system that I would never take away but we need a little bit of balance because in real life people care about living and dying but in game people can just throw money at the screen and live again after a bad decision .

So in other words being a deviant that can effectively evade the law should take a smart criminal , someone who researches constant new disguises , someone who seeks out ancient trainers in the art of pickpocketing or thievery . Killing and not being noticed should be an earned privelige , not a right that anyone can indulge in and run away for two minutes to become innocent again (mortal Onlines terrible flagging system in action that punished lawful players and encourages consequence free noob ganking).

There is a downside to having many disguises/personas. The engine recognizes you as playing a role in the story for each persona you have. And when you die you will take the death penalty for each persona combined.

4/28/2017 5:44:35 PM #12

Posted By Deftly at 09:33 AM - Fri Apr 28 2017

For instance if you are trying to be an assassin/bandit by yourself, you kill someone in the neighboring town or on the road to rob them and you get caught. The merchant complains to the mayor of your town, the mayor outlaws you from the town, the npcs gossip about you being a killer and that spreads to places in walking/cart distance...The neighboring towns rather not accept you because of that and turn you away..

But since there are no names and CoE is going (admirably) for full immersion, there are practical limits to this cause-effect chain. Minimally, people will have to pay close attention to player appearances and character creation will need to be capable of sufficient uniqueness or randomness for this to work at all. Everyone can't look and/or dress the same.

Friend Code: 4AC3A3