COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Evolution

With the introduction of tribes we learned that different biomes will determine characteristics of its inhabitants. I was wondering as time passes will the citizens of these settlements continue to be impacted by lifestyle, climate and other factors that cause species to evolve to adapt to their environment to facilitate survival? Or will the characteristics be fixed by default by the biome and remain that way forever?

Alt text -

4/28/2017 2:06:29 PM #1

Since biological evolution is a slow process that take thousands of years and CoE Storyline will only portrait some centuries of history, i belive that the traits are going to be locked. As for cultural adaptation, probably yes... i think this is one of the premises of this game. And miscegenation is a thing that is confirmed as far as i know, and this could create some intresting possibilites alied with cultural adaptation.

4/28/2017 2:55:09 PM #2

From the tribes QA we know that if a member of a tundra tribe were to settle in a desert biome they would have a difficult time adapting. However over a few generations they would be better suited than their ancestors. Genetic drift will happen but it won't be quick and won't be easy.

So to me I doubt traits will be locked forever but it will take a few RL years and several generations for any adaptation to occur.

5/7/2017 12:36:38 AM #3

This makes me think about starting a city on the sea like waterworld.

5/7/2017 2:58:49 AM #4

Just putting this out there: we did not evolve from monkeys, get that out of your head

now that i'm done reading the title lemme read the post

You may have erased my signature, but you can't corner the dorner

5/7/2017 3:27:01 AM #5

Posted By OrangeBoy at 10:58 PM - Sat May 06 2017

Just putting this out there: we did not evolve from monkeys, get that out of your head

now that i'm done reading the title lemme read the post

Of course not, we evolved from lemurs!

@Malais - Won't breeding between tribes also impact this? Might take a few tries, but I believe they talked about traits varying based on breeding?

5/7/2017 8:12:50 AM #6

I believe it was stated that tribes can interbreed. We don't know how that is coded at the moment but one possibility:

• For how you are viewed, you have 12 values indicating what percentage of each tribe your genetic composition is.

• On birth, your ideal biome is calculated based on the above just like your parental skills inheritance. Each tribe may have an ideal temp range. For example Tribe 1 thrives at 10 degrees. Tribe 2 thrives at 30 degrees. You are 50% each due to parentage. 0.5x10 plus 0.5x30 gives you a personal band of 20 degrees.

• Each tribe's other advantages are scalar. Just as above, tribe 1 might have a strength bonus which is halved for you. Your height may be averaged as per above. Another tribe may have a mining bonus etc.

Not saying this is how they will work it out, but seems to be the most logical route, calculating those stats on birth rather than repeatedly all the time.

5/7/2017 1:20:35 PM #7

Whoever said there was evolution in Elyria? or tribes evolved for their biomes? the tribes and biomes were created by the Elyrian gods as they are!!! All hail da gods!

5/7/2017 1:32:00 PM #8

Posted By SoulSpark at 09:20 AM - Sun May 07 2017

Whoever said there was evolution in Elyria? or tribes evolved for their biomes? the tribes and biomes were created by the Elyrian gods as they are!!! All hail da gods!

Which group of gods though?

Oh hey there

5/7/2017 1:39:49 PM #9

Posted By Deslyon at 2:32 PM - Sun May 07 2017

Posted By SoulSpark at 09:20 AM - Sun May 07 2017

Which group of gods though?

The true gods of course, not those false ones.

5/7/2017 1:41:31 PM #10

1 week = 1 in-game year 52 weeks in a year 10 year game

52*10= 520 years will be gone through

No where near enough time for evolution.

Friend Code: 1BD8F6

5/7/2017 3:02:38 PM #11

Anything is possible. I thought I heard them say somewhere that inbreeding for long enough would cause some interesting changes.

5/7/2017 5:10:58 PM #12

Posted By LukeSpyro at 06:41 AM - Sun May 07 2017

1 week = 1 in-game year 52 weeks in a year 10 year game

52*10= 520 years will be gone through

No where near enough time for evolution.

there's two types of evolution, micro and macro

maybe enough time for micro, but yeah no where near macro

You may have erased my signature, but you can't corner the dorner

5/7/2017 5:11:50 PM #13

Maybe SBS should hook up with the guy working on Grandroids, the game/sim based on the old Creatures games, for the genetics coding. 😀

Avid wiki editor, with a special interest in categories, navboxes, and infoboxes.

5/7/2017 6:16:58 PM #14

Posted By Malais at 3:55 PM - Fri Apr 28 2017

From the tribes QA we know that if a member of a tundra tribe were to settle in a desert biome they would have a difficult time adapting. However over a few generations they would be better suited than their ancestors. Genetic drift will happen but it won't be quick and won't be easy.

So to me I doubt traits will be locked forever but it will take a few RL years and several generations for any adaptation to occur.

Though how much of this mutation would be environmental and how much genetic ie from breeding with locals etc? Genetic mutation doesn't usually "happen" to suit a given environment. Quite the opposite. In most cases mutation is random. Those which have genes that favor their survival locally will thrive and that will become the dominant branch. Those that evolve genes that favor other environments branch out. You don't move to a different climate to "change your genes" lol.