COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Survival

If someone is in the wilderness alone will he level up survival skills faster than if he is in a group. Being alone he in more dependent on only his own skills so i could see it raising faster. Going in a group sounds like a better idea with more protection and supplies, but I want to be able to survive alone if need be.

Everyone wants to be a beast, until it's time to do what beasts do.

4/29/2017 1:34:40 AM #1

Survival skills? Not sure what you mean by that.

4/29/2017 1:54:20 AM #2

I would assume it depends on what you're doing, and not who you're with (unless you're with a mentor)

You're not going to gain experience just by not being dead, you'll gain experience by being productive. If you find an edible plant, that's your experience, not the experience of that guy 10 feet away.

4/29/2017 1:54:52 AM #3

Posted By Whayel at 8:34 PM - Fri Apr 28 2017

Survival skills? Not sure what you mean by that.

Finding food, improvising clothing and shelters, etc.

4/29/2017 7:32:52 AM #4

Posted By Duyo at

If someone is in the wilderness alone will he level up survival skills faster than if he is in a group. Being alone he in more dependent on only his own skills so i could see it raising faster. Going in a group sounds like a better idea with more protection and supplies, but I want to be able to survive alone if need be.

Your pov looks like a misconception between hardening oneself to be on one's own in the wild and actively learning survival skills, which will more likely have a cost. Hence such a cost will be easily to fulfill thanks to the help of a group or a guild, like a nomadic guild (ex : real ancient amerindians kind of way of life).

"Anything, from the malicious hummingbird to the stately dryas elk leaves a trail to the skilled eye, but master hunters. Only way for a fool to find them is to stalk the silence, but only a legend can truely merge with the wild up to become a relentless nature spirit." Shrike the stuffer.

4/29/2017 12:25:32 PM #5

Keep in mind you will get skill leveling bonuses for doing stuff with your family, so if you're with randos, then maybe it'll be slower going because they actually made the fire and you didn't, but if you're with your family then you may only make half the fires yourself but gain a good bit more xp.

And I think solo wilderness play will be a lot more dangerous than people expect. More 2-3 minimum parties depending on biome and the kinds of creatures you're likely to run into.

Been here too long.

4/29/2017 3:57:01 PM #6

I think the more you use a skill the better you become at it? So unless one is a mentor of some kind I imagine not.

4/29/2017 5:50:48 PM #7

Posted By RedDoggybone at 10:57 AM - Sat Apr 29 2017

I think the more you use a skill the better you become at it? So unless one is a mentor of some kind I imagine not.

Right. You learn by doing and by mentors teaching you specific recipes and such not by just hanging out in the woods by yourself.

I also wouldn't expect to survive in the woods overnight (irl) until you reach higher level skills. It will be a progression away from relying on a town.