COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
EP plots for counts?

As far as I'm aware, the answer is a resounding No, but is anyone aware of any benefit to a Count buying EP plots?

Bear in mind that though I will develop a core settlement, I'll want a little side project of my own ie a supply hamlet to manage elsewhere. Unless of course we get to design our settlements from the ground up, in which case, maybe just a little 1 plot estate somewhere as a retreat ;)

4/29/2017 7:51:45 PM #1

Well as a count you can just claim the land as yours from the land table for free...

Coming Soon(tm)

4/29/2017 7:56:44 PM #2

Especially after the last QnA, the only benefits I see to buying EP plots are that if you have spare EP it saves one from spending in game resources instead and it's the only way to purchase plots during Exposition. Bear in mind one has to travel to the plot to purchase it with EP.

Of course one has to consider the potential opportunities you may miss out on if you DON'T acquire (potentially) lucrative land during Exposition as opposed to waiting until the land management table becomes available. After all you could feasibly start developing that land early. It mainly comes down to your plans and means as to what's best for you.

4/29/2017 8:11:20 PM #3

IF you lose your county seat, do you lose ALL land within that county, or would EP plots be excluded? :)

That's the only thing that comes to mind.

If the former is the case, perhaps a precaution would be using some EP etc on an alt?

4/29/2017 8:31:57 PM #4

EP plots are your personal land thus if you lost your county seat wouldn't be seized by the system. Though an alt disguised or under a different name owning the land wouldn't be a bad precaution as if I overthrew the count, I would try to encourage his exodus from the county.

4/29/2017 10:48:50 PM #5

Posted By Oracle at 4:11 PM - Sat Apr 29 2017

IF you lose your county seat, do you lose ALL land within that county, or would EP plots be excluded? :)

That's the only thing that comes to mind.

If the former is the case, perhaps a precaution would be using some EP etc on an alt?

Good point perhaps it be a good idea to invest in some EP land in case, also EP will give your count extra wealth to work with.

Friend code: FF2B6D
4/29/2017 11:18:19 PM #6

...Or plots in another county.

4/30/2017 4:51:02 PM #7

Remember several things :

1) Ep plots are an exposition thing, a time when land management table will not be available.

2) Ep plots do not need to be inside the county of the count, it can be any where.

3) A plot of land you own you can sell it later if you want or need.

4) if you own a plot of land you prevent others from buying it and control how it can be used and by whom .

And i'm sure there are lots of other reasons just like the ones that have been presented before by others

4/30/2017 5:35:07 PM #8

Posted By Spectre 375 at 7:18 PM - Sat Apr 29 2017

...Or plots in another county.

I was thinking about something along those lines myself. Like maybe setting up a business, guild, school or whatever of some sort that has outlets in several settlements. Can you see a chain of "Friday's" like stores all across the land. LOL.

But Markoff, as to your point, "4) if you own a plot of land you prevent others from buying it and control how it can be used and by whom ."

As a Count, I control what plots of land are for sale and for how much. So I already to some extent hold control over it.

4/30/2017 5:54:38 PM #9

Counts sell land on the behalf of the King/Queen, they are the land managers. If a Count starts selling themselves land for free or on the cheap I presume this will negatively affect the counts infamy rating. The NPC's wont like it.

4/30/2017 6:55:16 PM #10

Posted By SoulSpark at 7:54 PM - Sun Apr 30 2017

Counts sell land on the behalf of the King/Queen, they are the land managers. If a Count starts selling themselves land for free or on the cheap I presume this will negatively affect the counts infamy rating. The NPC's wont like it.

that point is debatable and has been debated a lot :) and so far we do not have a final dev sanctioned answered.

@RedDoggybone yes i agree with you, once the LMT will pop we counts will have that power, but at exposition the only way to "protect" or control strategic plots is to ep buy them.

4/30/2017 6:59:05 PM #11

How would NPCs even know. That's quite the meta game and would be out of character for this game. They wouldn't know if you bought it or not.

I don't know anymore.

4/30/2017 7:16:35 PM #12

Well I think it's a fairly strange game mechanic to allow Human players to have the power to sell themselves land for free or minimum pricing. Some counts may choose to play a deviant style gameplay whereby they decide not to sell any of the land except to themselves, or choose to sell the land to others at extortionate prices that people can hardly afford and to themselves for free. It wouldn't be conducive to good gameplay. There must surely be some form of "punishment" to a count who decides to keep selling themselves free/cheap land. They could potentially sell the entire county to themselves and be the only developers of said land.

4/30/2017 7:42:49 PM #13

I actually agree with you SoulSpark. As of now they are depending on any Count selling the land cheap to himself not to happen because he won't be able to develop all the land and thus collect taxes on it. Also, I think they are depending on the Count's subjects to get upset by this practice. I don't know, to me this particular mechanic is just not fleshed out enough yet. It almost seems to me this system is sort of a place holder for something else down the line. I mean if they are going to do this this way, why not just say I own all the land to start?

Whats stopping me from selling all the land to myself for cheap a little at a time then renting the land to other players at a reasonable rate? I still own all the land and only put up more land to buy as I can afford to. Now people that couldn't afford to buy the land can now rent it from me. They get to work the land as if they own it and I collect the rent. Later, at my discretion, I can kick them off the land or if I so choose allow them to buy it from me.

Sure, let me buy the land if I wish but maybe the Duke or King has to give the Count final approval of all sales to himself. But now that presents another problem as all Dukes and Kings are Counts too unless they relinquish that tittle.

This is just me but as a Count being able to sell himself all the land for cheap just seems as a huge exploit to me. And I am sure there are many more clever ways that other people can come up with to take advantage of this system.

4/30/2017 8:14:54 PM #14

If you sell yourself all the land it means no one else can buy it, so as SBS said in one of the last Q&A you will attract only the poor NPCs and players, so you as the count will have to support all the development and your people will leave at some point, either because they finally got enough to go live in a place where they can buy land or because they are frustrated of that poor life.

Then, owning land alone is kind of useless, if you want that land to give you something you have to work it, either a field or a mine or lumbering or whatever but that needs investment and manpower. Unfortunately as you have only sold land to you for a bargain, you do not have the fund to invest into development , and the population you'll attract will mostly be untrained unskilled so it will be hard to develop things even if you manage to find funding.

4/30/2017 8:27:41 PM #15

@Soul, either way he is the sole developer. There is no way to gain land without his permission. Even adverse possession requires you to mark it on the LMT so if he want's you gone your going to be.

Even if he paid...he pays himself aka free land. Even if he payed the duke, if you have a close knit circle like alot of dukes I've seen, he would give you the money back if they changed the system. There is no way to make them pay unless they had to pay random citizens..

@RedDog, how are you getting all these houses down? How are you attracting all these people? How are you making up for all that missed out tax for land ownership?

What's stopping the player base from not renting to the count and using the already developed city? What's stopping players from using the rep/game system to coerce him to stop? What's stopping players from amassing power to get a CB? What's stopping players from hiring mercs/assassins to send a message? What's stopping the player base from not accepting contracts to develop these lands forcing him to spend extra time recruiting NPCs that have their own rates, what's stopping the player base from sabotaging construction.

not to mention....why do you give a fuck? If he is letting you buy land while he does what he is doing why do you care? Because he is gaining wealth? If that is your reasoning SBS already doesn't have a sympathy card for you. I remember the quote saying this game is "inherently unfair". So if your gonna play this game worrying about how something that doesn't impact you is giving someone wealth your not gonna have a good time.

I don't know anymore.