COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Dwarves?

I asked the question during kickstarter and was told by the devs that there are going to be different biomes which players live in.

This really never answered my question.

Will this game have dwarves as a player race?

I am just looking for a really good mmo that does dwarves right. LOTRO is getting a bit dated now and with its free to play model is plagued with cash grabs by the publisher.

Would love to have some kind of runesmith (magic using dwarf) or a psychotic zerker like Boïndil from the books written by Markus Heitz.

4/30/2017 8:21:17 AM #1

CoE isn't buying into the old fantasy tropes. Will some races in the game be shorter than others? Sure. Will some be stockier? Absolutely. Are they dwarves? Nope.

I actually find that quite refreshing, myself.

FWIW, I was KS Backer #21 and wanted nothing but the best for this game.

4/30/2017 8:46:59 AM #2

As flashman said there no "Dwarfs" however if you want to be "dwarfish" the Hrothi are the tribe for you.

4/30/2017 9:01:07 AM #3

While the Hrothi are not technically dwarves, they basically resemble them in all but name. They are short, stocky, and reside in the mountains. We don't know enough about the tribes just yet to say more than that, but I think that if you enjoy the trope of the "Dwarf" then you will very likely be drawn to the Hrothi.

More information about the tribes is set to be revealed soon, so it won't be long before we can learn about the Hrothi and others.

4/30/2017 3:09:44 PM #4

Who the hell wants to play a dwarf when you could be a elf? Just kidding. Yeah, there will be dwarf like toons in stature with a dwarf like culture and I think they are leaving it up to us to create the rest.

4/30/2017 4:10:07 PM #5

There are small ppl but i dont think there will be "dwarves"

4/30/2017 5:03:42 PM #6

Read this dev journal: https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/18362/The-Game-Garden-Grows

I think it will answer your doubts.

5/11/2017 4:50:15 AM #7

I will certainly be Hrothi, live in a mountain side tunnel and guzzle ale all day. I invite my dwarven brethren to help me find the most Dwarven settlement in the land and Dwarf out with our Beards out.

Seneschal for the Hrothi County of Iskar, Recruiter for the Duchy of Aritaur

https://discord.gg/qRQ3Zj6

5/11/2017 4:53:16 AM #8

Posted By MReal at 7:01 PM - Sun Apr 30 2017

While the Hrothi are not technically dwarves, they basically resemble them in all but name. They are short, stocky, and reside in the mountains.

Correct, but because they aren't dwarves, and because this is Elyria, they don't have to conform to any/all of the old fantasy tropes associated with dwarves, either.

FWIW, I was KS Backer #21 and wanted nothing but the best for this game.

5/11/2017 5:06:57 AM #9

What's in a name?

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

A dwarf, though he be called Hrothi, is no more or less himself.

~ Goody Odsbodikins, Count of the Highest State. ~
Friend Code: F41EFF

5/11/2017 6:58:14 AM #10

Posted By Flashman at 05:53 AM - Thu May 11 2017

Posted By MReal at 7:01 PM - Sun Apr 30 2017

While the Hrothi are not technically dwarves, they basically resemble them in all but name. They are short, stocky, and reside in the mountains.

Correct, but because they aren't dwarves, and because this is Elyria, they don't have to conform to any/all of the old fantasy tropes associated with dwarves, either.

The Hrothi might not be beer guzzling wisecrack making cave nuts, but when a sufficient number of Roleplayers fully plan to play them that way... well... lol

I guess what we all most want to know is if we can start with a settlment mostly underground, or positioned against the side of a hill/mountain and ready to turn into "Ironforge" lol.

Even older titles like Wurm have had that capacity- I've been helping my brother to excavate on sklo for a work in progress :)

For the RPers, a mostly underground city would be heartwarming lol.

5/11/2017 7:27:20 AM #11

Check out this picture and click it for the actual developer post regarding it.

Tribes of Mann

Guild Master

5/11/2017 10:40:35 AM #12

stay tuned for the developer Q&A and dev journal coming up about races at the end of this month, that is when we will be receiving more information on tribes besides the silhouette and names, i suspect a decent amount of the concept art and lore around specific tribes will be released prior to the Q&A so keep your eyes peeled for that dev update.

5/11/2017 1:13:24 PM #13

I'm just hoping that all CoE tribes stay away from as many fantasy tropes as possible. Or it would feel like "we don't have dwarves/elves/orcs in this setting, we have diferent tribes of mann... that are basically dwarves/elves/orcs"... lame. Also, hoping that they adjust all tribes proportions to a more "everybody is average size" approach.