COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAMILIES & NOBLE HOUSES
Super Important Question

I've been aware of CoE since kickstarter and I'm considering backing. I have a question that may affect the level to which I back and how I intend to play.

Say I were to be a mayor, count, duke, or king and I somehow became a vampire, lich, or some other evil creature. Would my new condition be cause enough to be stripped of my lands and title or would there be a means to keep my condition secret to retain my power? Moreover, could my people potentially be persuaded to accept me in my new state?

I ask because I am interested in the idea of nobility as well as the challenge of becoming a lich or vampire but I don't know if the two would be mutually exclusive.

5/5/2017 2:04:39 PM #1

Posted By CrowSplat at

I've been aware of CoE since kickstarter and I'm considering backing. I have a question that may affect the level to which I back and how I intend to play.

Say I were to be a mayor, count, duke, or king and I somehow became a vampire, lich, or some other evil creature. Would my new condition be cause enough to be stripped of my lands and title or would there be a means to keep my condition secret to retain my power? Moreover, could my people potentially be persuaded to accept me in my new state?

I ask because I am interested in the idea of nobility as well as the challenge of becoming a lich or vampire but I don't know if the two would be mutually exclusive.

Have you heard of a Count Vladimir Dracula.

KS Backer 750 Friend Code: 8FF2A7

5/5/2017 2:07:04 PM #2

My guess would be, if you have 3 souls you could be a King, lich and peasant all at the same time.. just not in the same body.

5/5/2017 2:10:45 PM #3

Posted By Count_Emiya at 07:04 AM - Fri May 05 2017

Have you heard of a Count Vladimir Dracula.

5/5/2017 2:19:23 PM #4

I would guess the real concern here is if my fellow nobles would have to do some investigation to find out what I am or would they just automatically know by some in-game mechanic?

And would that knowledge, once learned, be a cause for my removal on its own, like a war to remove the abomination? I would assume probably so.

5/5/2017 2:44:54 PM #5

For all we know, Vampires in Elyria can't pass for living and are horribly monstrous.

We'll have to wait and see.

5/5/2017 2:44:58 PM #6

Becoming one of those, would not immediately cause you to be stripped of your position. Your actions since being turned when they are discovered along with your transformation and how people (both PCs and NPCs)react to both sets of information is what may start the process of you losing your title. I say may start because if you live in a border town next to a kingdom that is at war with yours, your people may just decide they like having a mayor/baron/count/etc... who literally feasts on their enemies. 😎

Count Ruthgar Rugharin, County of Bragen Veld, Duchy - Conclave of Aritaur, Kingdom of Vornair.

5/5/2017 3:03:46 PM #7

Better the devil you know.....

I mean sure a vagrant or two disappears every now and then, but the streets are really safe at night for the law abiding citizens. There have been some murmurs floating about wondering why the Duke hasn't been seen in months, but the government seems to be running fine.

Or, sure the Duke leans a little towards savagery, but only to criminals and our enemies. If he weren't so brutal the other nobles wouldn't be so hesitant to march against us.

People are malleable enough to go with either one of those.

5/5/2017 3:45:36 PM #8

It is reasonable to say that you could figure out a way to hide/disguise your true nature. You have to remember that no one has names above their heads, and it's not like there's a global chat or something. Unless people physically lay eyes on you and you are not wearing a disguise there's no reason why they would know.

Even if you were found out it depends on who your liege-lord is. If your Duke or King doesn't care then you're fine whether they know or not.

5/5/2017 4:05:36 PM #9

Yes, you definitely could lose your title, or maybe you won't. That is the exciting part of the game, the thrill of the unknown. It is all about how you play the game as to where you might end up.

If your concern lies in losing everything, well then start stockpiling your wealth outside of your domain just in case the shit hits the fan. Sly smile

5/5/2017 4:30:56 PM #10

Posted By mystichaze at 11:05 AM - Fri May 05 2017

Yes, you definitely could lose your title, or maybe you won't. That is the exciting part of the game, the thrill of the unknown. It is all about how you play the game as to where you might end up.

If your concern lies in losing everything, well then start stockpiling your wealth outside of your domain just in case the shit hits the fan. Sly smile

Well what kind of evil overlords would I be if I didn't have a secret lair or 5?

5/5/2017 4:34:04 PM #11

Posted By CrowSplat at 10:30 AM - Fri May 05 2017

Posted By mystichaze at 11:05 AM - Fri May 05 2017

Well what kind of evil overlords would I be if I didn't have a secret lair or 5?

Hehe.. My point exactly!

5/8/2017 7:45:26 AM #12

I recommend you stay secluded inside your Keep (except when coming out to FEED) from the very start of the game and hire a trusted thrall to act as your body-double and walk around and be your public 'face' as you pull all the strings from behind the scenes. As no one will have ever learned what you look like no one will ever see through this as no disguise is actually being used, only your inner circle need ever know. Downside is you need to give your unique noble swag to the double.

Seneschal for the Hrothi County of Iskar, Recruiter for the Duchy of Aritaur

https://discord.gg/qRQ3Zj6

5/8/2017 4:56:31 PM #13

Alternatively you could cultivate a reputation as a bit of an eccentric recluse.

Stay locked in a tower for days. Only take audiences irregularly.

Or rule by proxy through your heir. Have them claim that you're negotiating with someone in another kingdom or something.

5/8/2017 6:08:56 PM #14

The thing is... we know very little about vampires, lich, etc, and considering the low-mid fantasy direction from CoE these creatures will be difficult to find and probably not even be already added in game after the release. I believe it will take time and involvement in the story (or exploring, who knows?) before the first vampire or the "curse of eternal life" (lich) is found.

Imagining how it would be, theory crafting and so is always fun, of course, but I don't think you will be able to find anything conclusive for now... So, if you want to be a noble who has the dream of becoming a monster, go for it! Just don't stop yourself from getting the pledge you want because of the vampire/lich thing, I think it is not guaranteed you will have it in the future D=

5/9/2017 3:57:25 AM #15

I would base things on how people would react pre-modern to the supernatural: freak out and attack.

1. You would first must qualify to become a lich, vampire, etc. which means being evil due to how these beings are on that side of the spectrum.

2. It would prob take a LONG time to achieve these goals (maybe several lifetimes)

3. You would need sufficient ability and funds to craft disguises and etc. to hide your secret.

My view on your goals :D

Friend Code: 1BD8F6