COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAMILIES & NOBLE HOUSES
About Freedom, City States and Government

So, we have all the issue of tax free, city states and freedom..but in the end, i think the question is:

so, any King (or Duke from npc's kingdoms), will grant power to city-states? Any kind of permission, like "you answer to me if you pay more double taxes'' or ''my dukedom will be a free place for free cities, you pay more here, but every city will be free, under my crown''.

5/8/2017 2:34:00 AM #1

I feel like you need to clarify what exactly you are talking about.

5/8/2017 3:46:11 AM #2

That makes no sense at all.

KS Backer 750 Friend Code: 8FF2A7

5/8/2017 6:52:21 AM #3

Hey Everyone!, "a guy walks in the park", "he told the crow to stop".

5/8/2017 6:53:00 AM #4

Posted By Barleyman at 11:34 PM - Sun May 07 2017

Asking if any King or Duke (NPC Kingdom) have plans for independent cities, like ''if you pay the taxes, you can make your laws and avoid conscription''.

5/9/2017 1:42:36 PM #5

Posted By Desdark at 12:53 AM - Mon May 08 2017

Posted By Barleyman at 11:34 PM - Sun May 07 2017

Asking if any King or Duke (NPC Kingdom) have plans for independent cities, like ''if you pay the taxes, you can make your laws and avoid conscription''.

That doesn't sound like being independent at all.

A Free City is a city in which economic transactions are tax free. This is usually done in order to promote economic development and focus economic energy.

A city-state is an entirely different state, as in a completely different government. Exactly no one has ever deliberately created a full fledged city-state out of a city they already controlled. If you already control the city why would you give it independence? If the city is paying extra taxes to avoid conscription or gain some measure of autonomy that still doesn't mean they are independent. If they are being taxed by someone else they're not independent, and therefore they don't technically qualify as a city-state.

But, to answer your question. I don't think anyone is planning on creating a city-state out of one of their own cities. However, there are people who plan on creating free cities. Such as this one, https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/8013/na-city-seeks-citizens-guilds-no-county-tax.

However, that being said there is nothing stopping a city from attempting to become independent from their lord and become a city-state by force.

5/10/2017 2:27:02 PM #6

What you are thinking of sounds more like a dominion, a self-governing state but must still answer to a king

5/10/2017 2:47:48 PM #7

Or a principality.