COMMUNITY - FORUMS - REPORT A BUG
Issue with Like\Dislike

First report here, hoping for a smidgen of IP, but it doesn't appear to be anything major. But sometimes something seemingly minor can have other consequences.

I read pretty much this whole thread and at the end I gave a like to Casp's locking post. It was currently rated at +4 but when I added my like it went to +1.

Like I said it's probably nothing but just thought I'd mention it.

Running Win 10 Pro 64bit and using Firefox 53.0.2 (32-bit)

[EU] The Town of Farwatch Selene (Hrothi) - Demalion/Dae Erath/Ash County - Masonry, Scouting/Cartography Animal Husbandry, Agriculture Smithing, Tailoring. Light RP, Casual & PvP Welcome.

5/11/2017 9:40:25 AM #1

My like put it to +2 now;)

Brash

5/11/2017 10:05:53 AM #2

It's not a bug, it just doesn't have live updates to the rating. It only updates after you click it.

So what that means is, in between you loading up the page and the moment you click the Like button, at least 4 people clicked Dislike, for whatever reason.... it has no effect on anything so some people just click Dislike cos they think it's funny i guess.

Anyway, so when you actually clicked "Like" the database had been taken back down to "0" Likes and you caused it to go back to +1

If it were live updating you would technically be able to sit there and watch the numbers change without doing anything, but you can't.... they could code that into the website but it'll take up some extra processing power and add extra load to the web server for very little return.

5/11/2017 10:37:39 AM #3

I find it extemely unlikely that 4 people clicked dislike on a 12 month old thread in the 60 seconds it took me to read the last page.

[EU] The Town of Farwatch Selene (Hrothi) - Demalion/Dae Erath/Ash County - Masonry, Scouting/Cartography Animal Husbandry, Agriculture Smithing, Tailoring. Light RP, Casual & PvP Welcome.

5/11/2017 11:11:06 AM #4

Back to +4 guys!

5/11/2017 11:19:24 AM #5

Actually, since this is a thread about an issue with likes / dislikes, might as well use it and not create a new thread for something else I've found about that.

The current way the like / dislike buttons are done, once you press on for example like, you give +1 to a thread and the like button disappears, leaving only the dislike button, which if you click will give a -1 and make dislike disappear / like reappear. In other words, there's no way to un-like or un-dislike, basically no option to cancel your choice and ever come back to the zero situation once you've clicked any of them. If any of the two buttons are pressed by accident, say, by trying to quote a post, there's no coming back from it, you've got to stick with one or the other.

Norhurst, County of Opportunity

5/11/2017 1:23:28 PM #6

Nooooo why couldn't you guys just leave it as it was! Nah jk, I'm sure they have an audit trail, maybe.

True CerebralDaemon, I had also noticed that. More of a feature request than a bug though. Think before click!

5/12/2017 10:18:07 AM #7

Posted By ZeroCool at 11:37 AM - Thu May 11 2017

I find it extemely unlikely that 4 people clicked dislike on a 12 month old thread in the 60 seconds it took me to read the last page.

unlikely sure, impossible no. I mean, you found a 12 month old thread right? why can't others?

I'm not saying there isn't a potential issue, i'm just saying how the system works.

5/12/2017 11:01:17 PM #8

The age of the thread is irrelevant; the age of the latest comment is what determines the activity. How did you find the thread?..

Anyway, I agree people must've unliked it in the time you liked it, yourself.

EDIT-

The REAL issue with dislikes are the massive amounts of people making it a thing to swarm all of a certain persons' posts with dislikes out of ridicule.

My ongoing biography, as written by the community:

Posted By annfrank at 04:15 AM - Tue Apr 11 2017

I'm woke AF

Posted By Apaukolypse at 05:31 AM - Fri Apr 21 2017

I like memes

¯_(ツ)_/¯

5/14/2017 12:48:32 PM #9

This is definitely a BUG. The same thing just happened to me with an old post of Caspian's which had +48 and instantly went down to +1. Since the OP bug was with another of Caspian's old posts from 2016, maybe the bug is due to the change in the like/dislike system and whenever the new system is first applied to an old post it resets.

Why has a legitimate BUG report been locked?

Without apparently even being looked into.

This bug affects all posts made before this year.....

It RESETS any old Post's like/dislike COUNTER.

Those who fail to learn the historical maneuvers of the Great Dance are doomed to repeating a classic misstep. -- FC--96C878

5/14/2017 1:35:11 PM #10

Yeah, noticed some strange jumps in likes, too often for it to be a coincident with others voting just before you.