COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAMILIES & NOBLE HOUSES
What happens if a Bloodline dies out?

Hi all!

See subject line - I'm just wondering what you all think might happen if the last surviving man or woman bearing the name of a Bloodline dies. Is the name lost forever? Any custom crests built during Expo (or before) that people with Bloodline pledge packages have built, do they disappear?

Conversely, will new families and bloodlines be founded in the course of the game, or will we just be seeing generation on generation of the family names founded this in the opening weeks?

For example - a ward of the state or someone born to a bloodline but disowned; can those characters go on to found their own bloodline and dynasty with a unique name and crest?

On a personal level, I intend to found a family and bloodline with my pledge package, but I'm not an enormous fan of the massive sprawling family tree kick. I intend only to have a small family, especially in the beginning, and populate the characters with my friends. If, in the first few months of Elyria, by misfortune or design are wiped out without leaving any more children, will I no longer be able to play with my custom surname and family crest?

Let me know your thoughts and concerns!

Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.

5/11/2017 3:27:38 PM #1

I'm not sure how the crest will work, but I have heard it said that you will be able to change your name using a contract with the "government" at some level. So even if your family dies off you should be able to pick up a new name. I would imagine that a good blacksmith or someone will be able to make crests and a coat of arms. The danger with a limited size family is losing your inheritance. Adding on to your question, can you change your name to an existing (or previously existing) family name?

5/11/2017 3:30:26 PM #2

5/11/2017 3:32:53 PM #3

Kelipski, that raises another question altogether! If you can change your family name, does that automatically make you ineligible to inherit from your original family? If you change your name to an existing family name, I'm sure all sorts of legal and ethical issues arise.

5/11/2017 3:34:47 PM #4

About the Crests - are they simply items that have no bearing on the actual family itself, or is your family's crest "registered" to the Kingdom? I would imagine the latter, but I never considered that a Crest might just be a decorative item. I presumed you'd see your custom crest on anything related to your family name, in character creation, looking at bloodlines, all that sort of thing.

EDIT: typo

5/11/2017 3:38:00 PM #5

Caelestius, personally if one of my children changed their names I would assumed they are disowning the family and therefore forfeit any claim to family wealth.

So the question for that is, are contracts enforceable if one of the parties changes their name from the one listed in a contract?

5/11/2017 3:43:26 PM #6

It would have to be. Legally changing your name in real life is an extremely complex process, and it certainly doesn't free you from any preexisting legal agreements or documents. I'd imagine it's much the same in Elyria.

5/17/2017 3:34:29 PM #7

I would like to see an answer to this question. I do not plan to nor have I pledged to a bloodline package, but I do, eventually, plan to change my surname legally in-game to start my own family line eventually. I'm sure the devs/mods know the answer to said questions.

Any Devs or Mods out there wanna help this poor man out?

Myrkul is always with us...

5/17/2017 4:51:52 PM #8

It has been said that there will be opportunities to change your surname in game but usually by deed. For example; kill all the sheep in a county and you have earnt the right to call yourself Grim Sheepbane.

Or a more likely one would be Smith for progressing to some level of Blacksmithing.

[EU] The Town of Farwatch Selene (Hrothi) - Demalion/Dae Erath/Ash County - Masonry, Scouting/Cartography Animal Husbandry, Agriculture Smithing, Tailoring. Light RP, Casual & PvP Welcome.

5/17/2017 7:01:49 PM #9

Posted By ZeroCool at 5:51 PM - Wed May 17 2017

It has been said that there will be opportunities to change your surname in game but usually by deed. For example; kill all the sheep in a county and you have earnt the right to call yourself Grim Sheepbane.

Or a more likely one would be Smith for progressing to some level of Blacksmithing.

I pity the farmer who manages to spread nightsoil over every field in the county.