COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAN FICTION & ROLEPLAYING
Happier days- Lucien Vargheste

(full disclosure the prologue is pretty slow- most of the action starts at part 1)

Prologue:

Lucien Vargheste sat at a long mahogany table, in a candlelit room. Opposite him sat his wife, handsome but with a face hardened by years of sorrow. She didn't look it, but was several years his junior. With a clap of his hands servants stepped forward and placed the platters of expensive foods in front of the couple. They weren't nobility but their wealth afforded them a lifestyle was close enough to be near indistinguishable. Lucien immediately began to eat but looked up to find his wife's tray untouched, yet again.

"You must eat dear," he said, gently yet insistently.

"Of course my lord," she said bitterly, so faintly he almost didn't catch it. He winced at this. He was no lord and they both knew it. She reached for her fork and knife and began to cut the meat on her plate.

"What are you waiting for, an invitation?" he snapped at the servants, "Help her!"

She dropped the fork and knife as the servant obediently stepped forward to cut her meat for her. His wife kept her gaze down at the plate, murmuring her thanks to the servant once he finished. She hadn't looked at him for the entire meal. Come to think of it, Lucien couldn't recall when the last time she'd looked at him was. This fact pained him quite a bit more than he cared to admit.

"Do you remember the tavern?" he was surprised to hear his wife ask, seemingly out of nowhere. Her voice had a hint of wistfulness that he hadn't heard in some time.

"The one that we bought after the war? What was it called?" she asked, with more life in her voice than he'd heard in years. He knew it's name but almost didn't want to tell her so she would keep talking. The memory brought a small smile to his face. A few moments passed before she remembered.

"We named it the Drunken Lordling, darling. Do you remember?" she said. She finally looked up at him and smiled at the memory. He cherished the smile but also saw the pain on her face and tears in her eyes. He gave a single nod.

"Times were so simple back then," she continued, "You poured the drinks, I danced-"

"And we both made good coin from the secrets that fall from drunken soldiers lips." he finished with a smile.

She laughed at this and he had to as well. It had been too long since he'd heard that sound. He felt her hesitation and braced himself for the question that was to come.

"What ever happened to the tavern, love?" she asked, now thoroughly in the past.

"I believe Durgess runs it now," he said with a sigh, "though I do still own the place."

And with that the spell was broken. Her gaze returned to her plate and her face lost all of its former color. With those few words he had returned them both to the present. The present in which their oldest son was long dead. The present in which he was responsible for it. And the present in which they had enough wealth to last lifetimes but could hardly bear to look at one another because of that fact.

She arose from her seat and walked around the long table towards the door to her room right behind him. Lucien felt her hand lightly touch his shoulder as she walked behind his seat. He reached up to his shoulder and took her hand into his, giving it a kiss. She stopped and stood still for a moment. Then Lucien felt her hand slip out of his grasp as she resumed her walk out of the room. He felt tears running down his face and hated himself for it.

"Belledonis," he called out, saying his wife's name for the first time in what felt like years. It had used to be just Belle in happier times, but those times had come to past, and they were both aware of this. He could sense that she had stopped, that she was still in the room.

"Everything I have done, every good and evil deed, it's all been for us. You know that, don't you?" he asked, fighting to keep his voice steady. After a long moment of silence he heard his wife's voice.

"Of course dear," she murmured. And he heard the door close behind him. He slammed his fist into the table and was rewarded with a searing pain in his ring finger. He felt the tears running freely down his face now.

For the first time he remembered that the servants were still standing at their positions staring straight ahead awkwardly. No matter, he paid them well enough for their discretion, and they knew the consequences for them and their families if they dare spoke of what occurred tonight. He stared at his bleeding hand and wondered how much more blood was on it that only the gods could see.

"I am what I must be for my family," he thought to himself, though he wondered if it truly was worth it.

"Roses are red, violets are blue; sometimes it don't be like that, sometimes it just do" -the G.O.A.T.

friend code-B0945E

5/15/2017 5:08:44 PM #1

*Apologies for the blocky format, was originally typed out on my phone in paragraph form but the forum condensed it when I posted.

Would love feedback on the first part and maybe will continue depending on response and/or how lazy I'm feeling

"Roses are red, violets are blue; sometimes it don't be like that, sometimes it just do" -the G.O.A.T.

friend code-B0945E

5/15/2017 6:33:34 PM #2

Part 1.

Lucien stood alone in his thoughts as his hand still bled. The dark mahogany hardwood table alone had cost more than the entire tavern that he used to run. He’d made a point of buying the table solely because of its outrageous price. He didn’t even like the color. It was for the prestige. He remembered his wife’s face when he’d had it brought in to their house. She gazed in wonder at its beauty and craftsmanship, but when she looked at him, he had seen something in her eyes, like she almost didn’t recognize him.

A servant stepped forward with a flask of ale. Lucien had never been one for fine wines, he liked to think he was still a sellsword at heart in that way. He took it without a word and drank deeply. He saw the door to the hall open slightly and a nervous looking man poke his head inside. He recognized him as Wagner, one of his eyes. He motioned the man to enter and held out the flask in silent offer. Wagner carefully glanced all around the room and sniffed the flask before taking a shallow swig. He was a cautious man, but one did not make it to his age in their line of work alive by being overly reckless.

“What do you have for me?” Lucien asked shortly, tonight had been rough and he was impatient to resume drinking himself into a stupor. Wagner nervously stroked his wispy beard and took a deep breath before replying. Lucien saw that the lanky man had been careful to stand just outside of his arm’s reach. This meant he’d brought bad news.

“Tovall Fairchild is here in town sir,” said Wagner, “he arrived earlier this evening.” Lucien knew there was more. There was always more, and he wagered he wouldn’t like this next bit. He put down the flask and waited for the man to continue.

“Given the fact the he arrived alone, and made his presence known to none, we think he’s in some sort of danger,” Wagner continued, “he may be here to see you.”

Lucien wondered what, Tovall Fairchild, Grandmaster of the Knights of the Rose could possibly want with him. The two were old friends from his days as a mercenary, but they hadn’t spoken in years. Tovall had never approved of him changing from selling his sword to selling others’ secrets. It had driven a rift between them that never really healed. If he was in town to see him it must be serious. But he knew there was still bad news or Wagner wouldn’t still be quite so jumpy.

“What else?” asked Lucien, and he saw the older man flinch.

“Fairchild was arrested shortly after entering the town,” said Wagner, “there were no charges made against him.”

This disturbed Lucien quite a bit. The arrest itself was inconsequential, someone had slipped the city watch some extra coin to grab him. But who could have known of Fairchild’s presence before him? He knew of every network operating in the kingdom. His was the best. That wasn’t pride, it was a fact. He’d spent years and a veritable fortune making it so. The fact that someone beat him to this information, it worried him. No wonder even Wagner seemed a bit more excitable than usual. Just what had Tovall gotten himself into?

“Where is he being held?” He knew that once the question was asked there was no turning back. He was involved now.

“The old guard post at the shanties.” answered Wagner. This was another red flag, and they both knew it, that guard post hadn’t been used in years.

“Very well,” Lucien replied, “Come with me. We have a long night ahead of us.”

friend code-B0945E

5/16/2017 12:21:36 AM #3

Part 2

(thanks to the kind folks at the Duchy of Seidrellia for their help with the setting of this part, I hope to incorporate more people and places in game in the future)

Lucien walked through the manor grabbing everything he thought he might need. He had on his customary black cloak but under it he wore a thin, tightly woven leather cuirass. He offered up a quick prayer to the gods that he wouldn’t need it. He grabbed his longsword and checked its sharpness before sliding it in its scabbard. He offered up another prayer that he wouldn’t need that either. Then he grabbed all of his daggers, and put them in the various concealed spots on his person. Wagner stood behind him looking on nervously.

“Sir, surely all this isn’t necessary,” he said. “We don’t even know what we’re dealing with.” Lucien paused for a moment and looked up at the man.

“No. We don’t,” was his reply.

He then grabbed his flask and drank deeply before stashing it in his cloak as well.

“Where are you going?” a soft voice asked. Both men jumped and turned to see Belledonis Vargheste standing in the doorway with a quizzical expression on her face.

“Out.” was all Lucien said. She pursed her lips at this and the two stared at each other for a long moment in a tense silence. Wagner stood there uneasily, stroking his thin beard. She looked her husband up and down, gave a single nod, and turned and walked out of the room. Wagner looked visibly relieved.

The two men walked outside the manor. It was a warm summer night. The air was peaceful and the streets of the town were all but deserted. A few souls shambled along here and there and a drunk laid propped up against a fountain, but all was quiet.

“Aren’t we bringing any of your guards sir?” asked Wagner, but he already knew the answer. He just didn’t like it.

“Guards attract attention,” Lucien said, bringing up his hood to cover his face. Wagner glanced around apprehensively.

They started the walk to the shanties in silence. Any unsavory characters who saw them took one look at Lucien’s steel and decided they weren’t worth the trouble. The pair moved quickly and inconspicuously and within half an hour they arrived at the rundown guard post. He studied the area while Wagner waited behind him patiently. Then he nodded to his companion and began to walk towards the door, where two city guards stood watch. As he expected they stepped forward to stop him.

“Stop right there,” the one on the left commanded, an older man. “Who are you? What is your business here?” the one on the right asked, trying his best to sound intimidating. He couldn’t have been older than twenty. Lucien removed his hood and smiled as the recognition washed over the two guards’ faces.

“I’m here at the behest of the duke to see this prisoner,” he answered, a small lie but a necessary one.

“Your prisoner is of noble station and Duke Karmine would not see him mistreated under his watch. I am here to assess his conditions.” he continued, not giving the two time to contradict him. The younger man frowned and looked to the older one questioningly.

“You must be mistaken, sire, I assure you. We aren’t keeping nobody here,” said the older guard, ignoring his partner’s gaze. Lucien smiled at this. A feral smile, like a cat that was playing with its prey before killing it. He had them.

“What is your name, guard?” Lucien asked sharply, “for that is the name that I will bring before the duke, when he asks me who prevented me from carrying out my duty! You dare contradict not only myself but Duke Karmine himself. The nerve! I could slay you both where you stand and I would get a medal for it.”

The older man paled and the younger was looked as if he were about to faint. The old man stuttered and mumbled for a few moments before offering his name.

“G-Goren, milord. M-My names Goren,” he finally managed to get out.

“Well Goren, I’m going to ask again to see the prisoner. I will not ask a third time.” said Lucien, his voice deathly calm. The younger man was already opening the door for him.

“Of course milord,” he said, “apologies for the misunderstanding.” Goren did his best at an elaborate bow. Lucien motioned for Wagner to follow and they both stepped inside.

To say the room was in disrepair would be an understatement. It was draped in cobwebs and a thick layer of dust covered almost everything. In the corner a man sat in a chair, his hands bound behind his back like a common criminal. Upon their entry he looked up, resignation written across his face. When Lucien stepped closer the man squinted to get a better look, before recognizing him and giving a hoarse laugh.

“Hello Tovall,” Lucien said with a smile, “it appears we have much to discuss.”

friend code-B0945E

5/29/2017 4:35:09 AM #4

I am curious to see why I or one of my spouses had your friend arrested.