COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAMILIES & NOBLE HOUSES
New Town

Hello all. I just became a mayor and while trying to come up with a name for it i thought why not ask the community and players who may wish to join it, So In asking for suggestions for the name of the town. I plan to collect a few and hopefully put it to a vote (if its possible) Also if this is wrong play for this please let me know right place.. Please keep the names reasonable

Friend Code: E0F29A Town Discord: https://discord.gg/YcSbSvD
Town looking for members, Join now for more influence and choice in the decisions of the town! We are going to be primary shipbuilding port with a few guilds Pledged to Kingdom of Ashland

5/17/2017 7:12:00 AM #1

Hey Chewychunga, congratulations on becoming a mayor. Hmm I like to make names based on the culture or feel of a settlement so do you have anything in mind that you want for your settlement whether it be biome or choice of industry? Might help people come up with more fitting names.

That being said I'll put forward the name of Basrah which comes from the Mesopotamia region cause I like how it rolls off the tongue.

5/17/2017 7:33:22 AM #2

Posted By Chewychunga at

Hello all. I just became a mayor and while trying to come up with a name for it i thought why not ask the community and players who may wish to join it, So In asking for suggestions for the name of the town. I plan to collect a few and hopefully put it to a vote (if its possible) Also if this is wrong play for this please let me know right place.. Please keep the names reasonable

What tribe?

5/17/2017 7:38:22 AM #3

If all else fails, you could just name it Kessai. It literally means settlement.

Alt text

5/17/2017 7:41:47 AM #4

what cultures inspire you? what do you invision you town being? what tribe do you wish to play as? personally i chose frank as my town name because i love German architecture and frankfurt came to mind, also the town of frank was a pioneer mining town near where i live in the rocky mountians, it was destroyed by a rockslide. also by clans name is "Get Rustled" and i didn't think Rustleburg or Rustleville was a good name =P

5/17/2017 7:50:03 AM #5

Congratulations on your Mayorship! The name of your town is definitely something that requires a lot of thought, and I commend you for deciding to consult with your potential citizens!

As Polite says, the name needs to come from the town, not necessarily the other way around. You need to think about the kind of town you want to build, and then just do a bit of word association!

Want to build a Faedin town in the heart of a deep forest, at one with nature? Maybe your town is called Chewy Grove, after her mayor, maybe it's called Littleroot.

Want to build a sprawling urban industry town? Maybe consider naming it something like Redwater, after the iron runoff in the river, or something onomatopoeic like Clank.

Want to build a small village with a tight-knit community who live off the land? Maybe you'll name it Roran's Field, maybe you'll name it Appledrop after your orchards!

Just think about the kind of town you want, the type of community you want to build and attract, and the name will come.

Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.

5/17/2017 8:01:33 AM #6

As everyone else have said, this is something that depends deeply in what cultural background your town will have.

If you find it difficult and need a "storm of ideas" i let you this link to a tool of "behind the name".

Said web page have some information about the etymological meaning of many names of different cultures. Perhaps its name generator can help you.

Random name generator

5/17/2017 8:14:22 AM #7

Lol ok well apparently i might be doing this in the wrong order :P, i was thinking about asking community for name and then ideas what to focus on and find players who might wanna join.. sounds like i wanna find players to join then decide what we wanna do? or where ya suggest i start? im trying to build this town based on what the members might want. Personally im open to just about everything and plan to tinker in everything eventually.

Friend Code: E0F29A Town Discord: https://discord.gg/YcSbSvD
Town looking for members, Join now for more influence and choice in the decisions of the town! We are going to be primary shipbuilding port with a few guilds Pledged to Kingdom of Ashland

5/17/2017 8:20:16 AM #8

I think maybe thinking about the "lore" behind your town might help. How was it founded, and why? What made people choose this exact location? It doesn't need to be something that can be shown in-game, just something that makes a good story.

There's a great example of this in Terry Pratchett's Discworld. There's a town in the mountains that was founded because someone's donkey basically decided to stop walking and refused to finish the journey. The donkey had all their stuff, so that was that - this is where the journey ended. They named the town Bad Ass.

Now that's a ridiculous name, but the way it came about was organic and believable (to an extent). Lore can (and must) be a great way to inform your naming choice!

I might write a new thread that's less specific to you, Chewy, for discussion of names, naming conventions and how people get their inspiration.

5/17/2017 9:00:06 AM #9

Chewy - this is the "Lore" of my Town. might help or not.

Peridexion Legend: Peridexia - so named, as it is the home of the last fabled Peridexion Tree. Legend has it that in days long past, when dragons roamed the lands & skies of Elyria, all the animals & birds lived in fear of them. The "Spirit of Life" (Ao) took pity on the creatures, & used his skill & arts to create the Peridexion Trees. Ao the "Spirit of Life" then summoned all the creatures of Elyria & told them of the safety guaranteed by the Peridexion Trees. Ao carefully scattered Peridexion Trees throughout the land. They offered a refuge & safe haven for all creatures, great & small. For all the creatures of the land & all the creatures of the air. For as long as they dallied near the trees, they were safe from dragons. For dragons could not touch a Peridexion Tree, nor bear to be within its shade, nor even to tolerate the scent of its flowers & fruits. Slowly over the ages as the world changed & the dragons entered their slow decline, the trees also withered & died. Leaving magnificent dried husks of what were once trees of such grandeur. But the Peridexion Trees are all long dead now, all that remains are the legends & a dead tree in the middle of a small town. (based on medieval writings with added liberties) Cadno Penddraig

5/17/2017 9:17:29 AM #10

Posted By Penddraig at 10:00 AM - Wed May 17 2017

Chewy - this is the "Lore" of my Town. might help or not.

Peridexion Legend: Peridexia - so named, as it is the home of the last fabled Peridexion Tree. Legend has it that in days long past, when dragons roamed the lands & skies of Elyria, all the animals & birds lived in fear of them. The "Spirit of Life" (Ao) took pity on the creatures, & used his skill & arts to create the Peridexion Trees. Ao the "Spirit of Life" then summoned all the creatures of Elyria & told them of the safety guaranteed by the Peridexion Trees. Ao carefully scattered Peridexion Trees throughout the land. They offered a refuge & safe haven for all creatures, great & small. For all the creatures of the land & all the creatures of the air. For as long as they dallied near the trees, they were safe from dragons. For dragons could not touch a Peridexion Tree, nor bear to be within its shade, nor even to tolerate the scent of its flowers & fruits. Slowly over the ages as the world changed & the dragons entered their slow decline, the trees also withered & died. Leaving magnificent dried husks of what were once trees of such grandeur. But the Peridexion Trees are all long dead now, all that remains are the legends & a dead tree in the middle of a small town. (based on medieval writings with added liberties) Cadno Penddraig

Now THAT'S a name! That backstory and name are going to inspire so many players to flock to the town and make it grow. And who knows? In a game like CoE, as the fame of your town grows, the engine (or devs) may make it that Peridaxia really DOES prevent dragons from crossing into the town borders!

5/17/2017 9:28:08 AM #11

thank-you Caelestus. It was always a favourite legend of mine - with a few embellishments.

5/17/2017 9:29:10 AM #12

p.s. you can find us in the Kingdom of Lor Voskara (APAC)

5/17/2017 9:42:38 AM #13

Hey, since we are sharing, my town at present (subject to change since I change every week)

New Ordan

Settled by a group of escaped slaves following the destruction of a decadent city by a deranged mage.

The slaves were led by a massive axeman and one of the last members of the Ordan tribe.

I had a full story written but I just hadn't had time to post it....

5/17/2017 9:46:45 AM #14

Posted By DavanOrdanska at 10:42 AM - Wed May 17 2017

Hey, since we are sharing, my town at present (subject to change since I change every week)

New Ordan

Settled by a group of escaped slaves following the destruction of a decadent city by a deranged mage.

The slaves were led by a massive axeman and one of the last members of the Ordan tribe.

I had a full story written but I just hadn't had time to post it....

Amazing backstory. Every town's backstory needs to take into account where the people who settled came from - people don't just pop into the world and suddenly settle where they find themselves! Journeys to founding a town have a beginning and and end, and we need to know what those are to inform the naming process.

5/17/2017 11:25:20 AM #15

In my experience, most players are drawn to a town because it offers something unique that appeals to them. Sometimes it's location, sometimes it's a focus that supports their preferred playstyle, sometimes it's the people.

The opportunity to share their input in each stage of the town's development may be enough of a draw for some players, but if you find that isn't enough to attract players you might want to decide what server, kingdom, duchy, and possibly even county you will play in to give players a more concrete idea of what to expect from your town. You should definitely at least choose a server since many citizens have stronger opinions about that than about domains at this point. The other option would be to wait a few days, since the Dev Journal on tribes should be released this week, and choose a tribe/biome that strongly appeals to you, and design your town based on that choice.

If your town doesn't have any focus, players are less likely to find something to get excited about, so they will keep looking until they find a mayor with a vision that inspires them, at least at this stage. Since there is no game to play yet, it's all about the ideas. Once ElyriaMud and Kingdoms of Elyria come out, that might start to change, but by that time you'll already have chosen the location of your town.

Shieldwall Strong!