COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SELENE DOMAINS
[EU] Calling all Elyrian, Pioneer, Founder & Gentry!

Greetings fellow Elyrians, my name is Balem Schmoahckhrz, son of Ruben Schmoahckhrz and Mayor of Farwatch. We are a port town on the southern shore of Ash County within Dae Erath.

My father was a great architect but alas he died while I was young and travelling in Tryggr, he did however leave me some of his blueprints. All I need now is the skill and know how to realise them.

I am lucky in that inheriting this beautiful town I have more than double the EP than a Mayor would normally start with. In using this rather large stepping stone my priorities will be trades that can bring my fathers vision to reality.

The Vision of Farwatch

Ah yes, my fathers vision. It was no accident that he decided to found a town on and near so many borders; county, duchy, kingdom and biome. He told me once that he met Dragors' father, before I was an itch in his scrotum. The Duke lamented that he had terrible trouble with his borders. Bandits would use the wilderness to pillage and vanish without trace, merchants would avoid Kings road tolls and huge colony's of Kanis Rabbit would cause havoc with local farmers.

My father suggested a system of settlement expansion along the duchy border with the larger settlements linked by road back to the duchy capital but all linked by road to each other. An organisation was set forth; The Wardens, assisting residents of Farwatch to establish their own settlements along the borderlands, more on that another time.

This method of expansion was developed by my father and it has several benefits.

• Ash County is safe in the knowledge that watchful eyes protect its interests
  • A network of roads link the border towns allowing alerts to reach neighbours and reinforcements to be sent in a speedy manor.
  • In peacetime border settlements are ideal gathering and trading posts. The road network allows merchant wagons to travel the width and breadth of the county
  • It lays the foundation for an inter-Duchy and inter-Kingdom road system

While my father was a skilled architect he was unable to pass his great knowledge down to me. But since my return I have not been resting on my laurels. I've gone over his many notes and expanded on several ideas he was working on.

Below is the culmination so far of my continuation of his work. Settlement growths plans, efficient use of wells, larger than capital areas and crenelation plans for defensive walls.

But we all have to start somewhere.

Many roles to fill

So I'm looking to recruit the smartest, boldest and bawdiest of the lot of you. There will be many roles to fill and I myself do not mind rolling my sleeves up. The priority will be to bring to life these handful of old blueprints I have, they are not fancy but fully functional. By life I do not mean simply raising the structures from the ground but to restore Farwatch to it's former splendour and put a face to every doorstep.

Being something of a traveller I've spent much time around horses and living out in the wilds as we are here, far from the luxuries in the capital, so my profession will be to breed livestock. I've brought one thoroughbred horse with me and will certainly purchase another. My trison Derek on the other hand...breeding trison could be dangerous not to mention expensive. The two thoroughbred though will allow me over time to provide a mount to anyone who fills a role in our town, a small gift to say thanks.

So if border life sounds like your cup of mead, please drop me a PM or better yet drop me a villager token ;)

Who will you be?

Demalion Discord

Dae Erath Discord

[EU] The Town of Farwatch Selene (Hrothi) - Demalion/Dae Erath/Ash County - Masonry, Scouting/Cartography Animal Husbandry, Agriculture Smithing, Tailoring. Light RP, Casual & PvP Welcome.

5/26/2017 12:27:52 PM #1

Just wanted to say that I've updated the post and will now be providing a horse to anybody who takes up a profession in Farwatch.

There will be a queue as I have no idea how long you can breed off thoroughbred horses and gestation period and all that.

[EU] The Town of Farwatch Selene (Hrothi) - Demalion/Dae Erath/Ash County - Masonry, Scouting/Cartography Animal Husbandry, Agriculture Smithing, Tailoring. Light RP, Casual & PvP Welcome.

5/26/2017 2:18:27 PM #2

sounds kewl tbh :D, i kinda like how you started your post in character but then broke the 4th wall by mentioning EP :D

I'm currently a Count in Nirath, haven't recently decided to switch from NA-W to EU, and tbh, your plans sound similar to mine, I'd rather place my county based on geography more than anything else, and i'm not opposed to going into an NPC Duchy to get the right place. Also one of my main professions I plan to be (game mechanics pending) is Architect ;) so i could fit quite well into your story :D

I'm in the process of restructuring what my County is about, and I don't mind working with others to decide what that'll be about, so if you want to take me into consideration, here's a Discord Link help with communication etc. It's still setup for the old NA-W county, but it's there for anyone to openly discuss plans etc :D

5/26/2017 2:51:21 PM #3

I hope you don't mind a couple of (maybe stupid) questions, but considering some of your other posts on the forum, I know you're a very smart person who likely planned ahead.

How do you intend to organize law-enforcement (guards)? People often state that they are going to have guards patrolling and trailing down criminals, but barely ever get into details on how they envision to create this standing army. We know the figures ( roughly 11.5k players on 24 kingdoms, 288 duchies and 6912 countries, not to mention settlements) and people certainly won't be doing guard duty 24 hours a day. Even more so when you consider the possibility of joining an NPC duchy. Do you plan to ask people for their online-timeframes and how they guesstimate their PvP proficiency? How are you going to compensate for times when there are only OPC/NPC guards around?

You mention that geography is one of your main selection criteria, but you're not going into detail as to your preferred biomes (since I plan on being a gatherer, what could I hope to find)?

What are your plans to increase your area during KoE (likely the only way to gain a considerable and sustainable amount of human players, though erasing competing NPC settlements in your vicinity)?

How do you plan to handle people who're going to try and replace existing crafters (e.g. somebody buys 125 'crafting material packs' during exposition with the discounted $200 EP deal, basically leaving the competition without a chance)?

What sort of law and tax are you looking for in the duchy/kingdom you're joining?

Thank you in advance!

Sage willing to help with Purity (if you spot me on Discord and have some Plague on your account that could be nullified with a trade, drop me a message on Discord)

5/26/2017 4:05:08 PM #4

Honestly I'm pretty much planning on winging it. I know I made the post in RP fashion but I don't plan on being a heavy RP player myself. Light roleplay maybe in terms of contracts etc.

But as for the organisation of the town, well I'm going to spend my 2100 to put in enough to cover some core trades. The rest can be built up during exposition. I'll take candidates for professions on a first come, first serve basis, although those with exposition access will be preferred.

Handling crime etc, I'm not really sure, just see how it goes really. I'm a father of three and work full time so don't expect me to be on 10hrs a day. That said when I find a game I like I usually make the time, CoD zombies, Minecraft, Destiny and recently Civ5 I have sunk 100's of hours into.

If somebody steps up and wants to take some responsibility from me I'm likely to oblige.

What I haven't got round to doing is my idea for a guild\group, intimately linked to Farwatch; The Wardens.

The idea is that I want to really promote settlement expansion along the Kingdom\Duchy border and Farwatch and The Wardens will help with that.

If I manage to get a healthy player population post launch then I want to assist folks in starting their own settlement. After domain selection I will draft a PM to my Duke\Duchess asking them to be lenient with adverse possession requests along the Duchy border.

I think they will go for it since they will get lots in return. Those branching out from their hometown of Farwatch, in return for our assistance (road, materials, adverse possession defence in the case of NPC Duchy) will follow our same values and help their citizens fledge.

Another tenant of The Wardens will be to map the neighbouring Kingdom and I think it might be this the Dukes value more than anything. I'll be requesting Cartographers (who can be members of The Wardens, it's optional) make two copies of every map. The second copies will be sent by wagon along the road the Duke kindly put in.

So that's it, in fairly wordy nutshell.

5/26/2017 4:23:46 PM #5

Posted By Logain at 3:51 PM - Fri May 26 2017

I hope you don't mind a couple of (maybe stupid) questions, but considering some of your other posts on the forum, I know you're a very smart person who likely planned ahead.

Thanks for the compliment :D

How do you intend to organize law-enforcement (guards)?

Farwatch is not going to be one of those super rigid societies. We are a border town after all, far from the capital. Law will be imposed by all or not at all. See how it goes and the types of folks we have. Maybe we'll have a Dennis from The Holy Grail;

Dennis: I told you, we're an anarcho-syndicalist commune. We take it in turns to act as sort of executive officer for the week...
King Arthur: Yes...
Dennis: ...but all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting...
King Arthur: Yes I see...
Dennis:...by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs...
King Arthur: Be quiet!
Dennis:...but by a two thirds majority in the case of more...
King Arthur: Be quiet! I order you to be quiet!
Peasant Woman: "Order", eh? Who does he think he is?
King Arthur: I am your king.
Peasant Woman: Well, I didn't vote for you.
King Arthur: You don't vote for kings.
Peasant Woman: Well, how'd you become king, then?
[Angelic music plays...].
King Arthur: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. That is why I am your king.
Dennis: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
Arthur: Be quiet!
Dennis: You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!
Arthur: Shut up!
Dennis: I mean, if I went around saying I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!
Arthur: [grabs Dennis] Shut up! Will you shut up?!
Dennis: Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system!
Arthur: [shakes Dennis] Shut up!
Dennis: Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help, help, I'm being repressed!
Arthur: Bloody Peasant!
Dennis: Ooh, what a giveaway! Did you hear that? Did you hear that, eh? That's what I'm on about! Did you see him repressing me? You saw it, didn't you?

How are you going to compensate for times when there are only OPC/NPC guards around?

Don't know.

You mention that geography is one of your main selection criteria, but you're not going into detail as to your preferred biomes (since I plan on being a gatherer, what could I hope to find)?

I'll know it when I see it ;)

What are your plans to increase your area during KoE (likely the only way to gain a considerable and sustainable amount of human players, though erasing competing NPC settlements in your vicinity)?

Play lots.

How do you plan to handle people who're going to try and replace existing crafters (e.g. somebody buys 125 'crafting material packs' during exposition with the discounted $200 EP deal, basically leaving the competition without a chance)?

No idea.

What sort of law and tax are you looking for in the duchy/kingdom you're joining?

Hadn't thought that far ahead!

Thank you in advance!

You are most welcome.

5/27/2017 12:15:42 AM #6

Posted By Nagash at 3:18 PM - Fri May 26 2017

sounds kewl tbh :D, i kinda like how you started your post in character but then broke the 4th wall by mentioning EP :D

Yeah the 4th wall breaks were totally intended. I will certainly keep you in mind, as like you I'm keeping my options open. Although geography matters, if there's two choices and one is an NPC county within a player duchy, that I will prefer.

No offense but I plan to be a count myself and grow Farwatch into a stronghold. Pledging to a Duke\Duchess is key to my plans with the roads and sending back maps to them.

But if I have to go NPC Duchy, maybe I'd need to curry favour before they let me pledge. More likely it won't remain an NPC Duchy for long.

That will be odd, living under one rule for so long, then a new boss comes in and change in power.

5/28/2017 9:06:24 AM #7

Please move to Selene Domain

5/28/2017 1:38:04 PM #8

If you're still looking for a duchy drop me a line. I really quite like your border town plans. Unfortunately, I can't promise you anything in regards to biomes since we haven't even seen the map we will pick from but I can promise you a border duchy with the best defensive terrain my place in the pick order can get us.

Coming Soon(tm)

5/30/2017 10:24:50 PM #9

Posted By chipla at 2:38 PM - Sun May 28 2017

If you're still looking for a duchy drop me a line. I really quite like your border town plans. Unfortunately, I can't promise you anything in regards to biomes since we haven't even seen the map we will pick from but I can promise you a border duchy with the best defensive terrain my place in the pick order can get us.

Hey man, still looking but just window shopping really. I don't want to commit till I've seen the map. But peeps that have reached out to me or that I get on with in discord may help me decide between multiple choice locations.