COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
Keeping yourself anonymous

So by doing epic things I could become famous, but if my focus is being the greatest assassin then it's kinda counterintuitive to have my real identity known for that.

Will the system let us use nicknames to be known by instead of our character names in situations like that? Or would we be able to defer that fame to an organization/guild/kingdom we are part of?

Likewise, say we have an ambush on a trade caravan as our example. If I wanted to put some friction between two kingdoms could I plant false evidence to misdirect investigators in the hopes to create conflict?

UDL

5/25/2017 3:06:38 PM #1

Disguising oneself is a skill that lets you make a new identity or even impersonate someone. So yes, as long as you don't get caught or someone you know sees through your disguise, it's possible.

5/25/2017 3:15:44 PM #2

My idea was the ability to create a "calling card" of sorts. If someone would carve/mint an emblem on say a cheap ring; someone could draw the emblem on a sheet of paper; something that will be found, can't easily be replicated; then the "rose and lion" (random example) assassin will be known.

So if you could be known by your "calling card", whatever it is, you won't have to be known as "bob the killer".

5/25/2017 3:21:25 PM #3

Posted By Linglosh at 05:06 AM - Thu May 25 2017

Disguising oneself is a skill that lets you make a new identity or even impersonate someone. So yes, as long as you don't get caught or someone you know sees through your disguise, it's possible.

Okay, but would you become more notorious though if you got away with it? Cause with more notoriety you lose more spirit with each death.

If we were to compare say a warrior who held a crucial pass while reinforcements arrived vs an assassin who killed a king and got away with it you'd know the name of the warrior but you wouldn't/shouldn't know the name of the assassin... unless they were to write a biography on it.

UDL

5/25/2017 3:23:47 PM #4

As a player will need to specify their name to another player before it magically appears floating above their head, ala traditionally MMO, it is possible to create an "Alias" through, as Linglosh stated, disguise oriented skills.

But that's a wonderful concept, Kelipski. Very tactful.

Tartarus

5/25/2017 3:24:53 PM #5

So you want to play a large part in the story, but don't want the down side of being well known or having a higher death penalty. It doesn't work that way. The engine always knows what you did.

5/25/2017 3:25:37 PM #6

To continue since I hit submit to early...

It would be understandable if the famous warrior experienced permadeath sooner due to the spirit loss attributed to fame but when the fruit vendor perma-dies around the same time for no other explainable reason it really makes you question how much you know about the people in your area.

UDL

5/25/2017 3:27:19 PM #7

The engine may know, but I think the idea behind it is that the story knows what you did but your neighbor may not. You want to get story points without everyone hunting you down.

5/25/2017 3:29:35 PM #8

Posted By Kaynadin at 05:24 AM - Thu May 25 2017

So you want to play a large part in the story, but don't want the down side of being well known or having a higher death penalty. It doesn't work that way. The engine always knows what you did.

Right the engine knows what I did, but the NPCs or other players shouldn't know.

But again could we defer that suspicion to another group like in the calling card example but say instead leave another kingdoms broken banner among the bodies?

UDL

5/25/2017 3:30:50 PM #9

If you're an assassin who killed a King, the game will recognize you as a famous individual with increased spirit loss. In the case no one knows the identity of that high-profiler killer however, you wouldn't have the npc and player notoriety that would allow people to recognize you though.

It should be noted that fame is attached to your character, but the recognition of that fame is tied to your alias, if at all.

Tartarus

5/25/2017 4:15:46 PM #10

Posted By Japninja808 at 11:29 AM - Thu May 25 2017

Posted By Kaynadin at 05:24 AM - Thu May 25 2017

Right the engine knows what I did, but the NPCs or other players shouldn't know.

But again could we defer that suspicion to another group like in the calling card example but say instead leave another kingdoms broken banner among the bodies?

Now you're getting into some convoluted war mongering actions. I like it. Yeah, perhaps you could leave an indicator that an (action) was perpetrated by another kingdom, have an alt account in that kingdom to push the story around in both kingdoms. Then find a way to profit off the war.

5/25/2017 4:43:46 PM #11

I've wondered this myself! I would presume that your alias or alternate identity could have a separately tracked fame of its own. Say, your primary (legal) alias is Fred Wilson, cabbage seller, but at night you are Il Mostro, Terror of Arkadia!

Fred and Il Mostro are both famous - but for different reasons, and in different amounts. NPCs and PCs discuss them as different entities, up until the point where, potentially, the disguise is seen through.

Additionally, one thing that can't be split is the alignment of Fred's soul - it has been revealed that the more one performs deviant or immoral deeds, the more one's soul darkens, and the opposite is also true.

What I also presume is the following - that if the Il Mostro disguise is broken, that Fred's fame as a world standard cabbage hawker and Il Mostro's as an indiscriminate murderer merge, and Fred gains the combined fame and notoriety of both aliases. Or all three, if he also has a disguise he wears when he goes out whoring.

Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.

5/25/2017 4:52:58 PM #12

I wondered on the criminal investigation side how you would ever catch someone wearing a disguise. It was said if you murder someone the evidence left over leads you to the disguise. So if you toss the disguise you are safe. I'm hoping the disguise leads to the person wearing it if you can get multiple of them.

5/25/2017 4:56:19 PM #13

Posted By Deftly at 5:52 PM - Thu May 25 2017

I wondered on the criminal investigation side how you would ever catch someone wearing a disguise. It was said if you murder someone the evidence left over leads you to the disguise. So if you toss the disguise you are safe. I'm hoping the disguise leads to the person wearing it if you can get multiple of them.

It is possible to see through a disguise. Family members will ALWAYS see through a disguise. Meeting someone in disguise multiple times and meeting them out of disguise multiple times ups the chance of seeing through the disguise. The devs have also hinted at the possibility of a "forensics" skill, which allows a skilled individual to examine a person in disguise and see through it.

I would also presume that if Il Mostro in my example above was arrested, the guards could remove his disguise and reveal that it was Fred! The Cabbage seller! All along. And he would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for those meddling kypiq and their stupid trison.

Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.

5/25/2017 5:02:56 PM #14

Become a known and feared assassin. A name that's more like a symbol and people hear tall tales of the deeds you've done. Being unknown is safer, but being known and the best would be way more fun ;)

Everyone wants to be a beast, until it's time to do what beasts do.

5/25/2017 5:06:38 PM #15

Posted By Caelestius at 12:56 PM - Thu May 25 2017

Posted By Deftly at 5:52 PM - Thu May 25 2017

It is possible to see through a disguise. Family members will ALWAYS see through a disguise. Meeting someone in disguise multiple times and meeting them out of disguise multiple times ups the chance of seeing through the disguise. The devs have also hinted at the possibility of a "forensics" skill, which allows a skilled individual to examine a person in disguise and see through it.

I would also presume that if Il Mostro in my example above was arrested, the guards could remove his disguise and reveal that it was Fred! The Cabbage seller! All along. And he would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for those meddling kypiq and their stupid trison.

I'm thinking of what's really the odds of meeting someone multiple times in and out of a disguise if you are the person with the investigation skill. Normally you would be called in after the crime took place unless you are lucky enough to be right there when it happens. For someone to rip off a disguise and call them guilty they would have to know the persona under the disguise too. Say, if someone is going around robbing different towns. People noticed they been robbed. Call in an investigator and the clues just leads to the disguise.