COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
Post 10 year story

I know it's extremely early to think of this now but come on community let's hear your thoughts...

What do you think will happen after the 10 year story that SBS has planned?

I'm thinking that the servers restart allowing a fresh start all over again with players keeping all skill ramps/achievements while being compensated for any items that can't be transferred for technological reasons with lower tech equivalents.

UDL

5/29/2017 11:40:17 PM #1

I envision the Devs coming up with some ways to keep the story going. New events/tasks/technologies that enable a person to always find something exciting to do. I doubt the servers would reset, or at least I wouldn't want them to. But new servers for players that enjoyed building a life from nothing.

Perhaps along with events on anniversaries, there could be a major reveal at the 10 year mark. New skills would be a great way to get people to push into new lives. Perhaps an update that reveals a "new land" an uninhabited continent full of dangers and wilderness BUT open for settlers to fight over new power.

5/30/2017 12:29:12 AM #2

COE 2

5/30/2017 12:34:46 AM #3

I think, depending on the ongoing interest with CoE, the devs would consider expanding the duration of the story for another 5 years or so.

I highly doubt there would be a server reset or similar after the 10 year story as a large number of people would see that as all their hard work being for naught, especially as this is a game specifically focusing on world development by the player.

The Adventurer's Guild of Vornair

5/30/2017 1:20:32 AM #4

One of the things I thought would be cool is if around year 8-10 a talent could be implemented in creating cross-server portals "planes-walking" that allowed players to interact between servers temporarily allowing cross server raids and wars under the guise of traveling between dimensions.

UDL

5/30/2017 4:57:25 AM #5

I really like the manga ID_Entity, which is about an MMO called Lost Saga.

They had a huge world ending at the end of the storyline with an apocalyptic scale monster. Afterwards everyone that survived or managed to kill the beast got carried into the next storyline. Everyone else got reset.

The new storyline was a whole new world

This would be really cool.

5/30/2017 5:07:47 AM #6

From the January 11, 2016 QnA:

So there will be something after that, we have a 10-year story in mind, we’re obviously talking to several story directors, I’m talking to one in particular right now who I’m so very excited about working with. I haven’t got confirmation yet from the person.

There is this idea of having a 10-year dynamic story with a beginning and end, beyond that we might find halfway through the project that we like the current world and we want to do more with that story and kind of continue to expand it and kind of have a Chronicles of Elyria 2, which is starting off at the same place as this one ends and just continues after that. That’s a very likely possibility of it happening, and what’s going to happen is somewhere in the process of this is we’ll be working on resources to work on another game in another world parallel universe, different genre, maybe sci-fi or something like that. So a lot of our focus will be on that, and what will happen at that point is after the 10-year story ends the world will continue on and the personal stories that exist, that the Soulborn engine creates would still be there, but there wouldn’t be a kind of long-term overarching story that’s been driven at that point. Obviously we don’t want to just leave it in that state, the best thing I can tell you is we’ll probably plan to develop a sequel but like any project, we have to have a beginning and an end at least from the outset. So from the start we have to have a beginning and an end, and that’s what the scope of the story is and in all likelihood there will be a sequel.

Those who fail to learn the historical maneuvers of the Great Dance are doomed to repeating a classic misstep. -- FC--96C878

5/30/2017 6:09:46 AM #7

I'll put in my thoughts to maybe inspire the team at SBS for the future. Depending on the success of CoE in the long term, I'd like to see them develop on whatever the current graphics will be available in the next 10 years with a whole new look.
Elyria: The New World would involve a time jump of a few hundred years. If we end the first story with the beginning of the industrial age, let CoE 2 be after the fall of modern civilization. Our souls could be locked in the Akashic records until this new era where artifacts are the remains of a modern society. It could take hundreds of years for our souls to put the pieces together of the lost civilization of our modern times. Kind of like Shenarra Chronicles in design.

5/30/2017 6:38:16 AM #8

I think a reset would be great. But not a normal server reset, but some big catastrophic event that destroys 95% of the world.

Then there is only certain few technologies and buildings that exist and people can rebuild again.

5/30/2017 8:21:55 AM #9

Posted By HouseOfAmberly at 11:09 PM - Mon May 29 2017

I'll put in my thoughts to maybe inspire the team at SBS for the future. Depending on the success of CoE in the long term, I'd like to see them develop on whatever the current graphics will be available in the next 10 years with a whole new look.
Elyria: The New World would involve a time jump of a few hundred years. If we end the first story with the beginning of the industrial age, let CoE 2 be after the fall of modern civilization. Our souls could be locked in the Akashic records until this new era where artifacts are the remains of a modern society. It could take hundreds of years for our souls to put the pieces together of the lost civilization of our modern times. Kind of like Shenarra Chronicles in design.

Posted By Reikan at 11:38 PM - Mon May 29 2017

I think a reset would be great. But not a normal server reset, but some big catastrophic event that destroys 95% of the world.

Then there is only certain few technologies and buildings that exist and people can rebuild again.

This is actually the story behind COE... There was a great highly advanced/magical civilization which was destroyed by the catastrophic event called "The Burning".

As mentioned in the last open QnA, COE was originally designed to be The Wheel of Time Online. That book series takes place thousands of years after the collapse of Earth's type 3 - 4 civilization due to accidentally boring a hole into Dark One's [Devil's] prison while trying to find a new source of energy. The planet was nearly destroyed in "The Breaking" which followed the partially successful resealing of the prison. There are several references mentioned in the series about our own time as "the [industrial/information] age before the [highly advanced/magical] Age of Legends".

Elyrian relics equate with the WOT objects of power from the Age of Legends [like finding a genesis device from Star Trek]. Eyrian legendary artifacts are common items which have unique stories on how they came to survive into the present. This is similar to the WOT's Sword of the Malkier Kings originally being a common soldier's sword from the Age of Legends.

Those who fail to learn the historical maneuvers of the Great Dance are doomed to repeating a classic misstep. -- FC--96C878

5/31/2017 7:00:12 PM #10

If I am still playing the same type of MMO's on PCs in 10 years, I will be VERY disappointed in our technological advancements...

Imgur