COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
Fights after 1st death at war

How do battles at wartime proceed after people die for the first time (getting spirit loss toll capped) and leave their bodies lying at places worth retaking?

Let's say a battle takes place at a small keep during wartime. Attackers manage to break inside but lose the decisive clash, leaving themselves lying KO'd on a territory they need to capture. Setting aside a possibility to bind them to take as prisoners (using threats of spirit loss to discourage from continuing the fight), defenders decide to "let none survive" and CDG every incapacitated foe. What do they do after that? What should they do to actualy win the siege?

According to DJ #4, bodies can be stripped of any weapons and towed for some distance (if that can be done to incap'ed - should be done to the not-so-dead too) . But DJ #8 hints on an unarmed combat and one of the Q&A said you have a bit of control over your respawn position. So, when the not-so-dead attackers revive, they have nothing to lose, can somehow fight (fists or any grabbed weapon) and may get a position they could not freely get before. That looks like 10 hours of possible zombiefest inside your keep with no mentioned way to "burn the bodies". Knowledge won't help you with this, Jon Snow!

Not to mention the things like timed second wave of attack, stacks of cheap weapons prepared for the siege, delayed revive to sabotage and the worst of all - new goal to trigger spirit loss on the winning side at any cost (even a complete wipe) for the payback and draw-like result. You need no necromancy with that.

Any explanations, dev quotes on the topic and source-based speculations will be much appreciated. Thank you.

6/1/2017 2:05:16 AM #1

This is a valid question and concern. This could make or break conflicts on the battlefield. I would like a straight answer

KS Backer #44

6/1/2017 2:05:23 AM #2

Personally, I believe the answer is with a wound system. Needing time or medical attention before being able to fight to a reasonable degree.

6/1/2017 2:07:09 AM #3

They did mention that injuries would needed to be specifically fixed, so that is a possibility. and an interesting one at that.

KS Backer #44

6/1/2017 2:11:06 AM #4

The one thing you never mentioned is the survival aspect..You have to eat, get energy, sleep, and drink...When you are attacking another keep that automatically get those buff due to it being a town, you are already on a race against time. What if the defenders poison or get rid of your food supply? You'll be weaker, you be dying from not eating or drinking, and more importantly it will get boring. Try to keep of army of player together that not seeing a point in what you are doing or rather being doing something else altogether. People will leave.

Also about the spawning you can't spawn inside wall. With smart defensive placement and building this shouldn't be too much of an issue. All of the war mechanics are not set in stone either, with testing I'm sure the devs will think of something that will give a clear win condition for defenders.

6/1/2017 2:23:41 AM #5

It would be interesting to see how it all works. Going unarmed may work in your favour really. Never needing to worry about losing your weapon in combat would be huge.

I suppose it depends how long it would take to spirit walk as well. If it only takes a few minutes. You could be really locked in a never ending fight. Both sides wouldn't care about spirit loss since after the first death it won't matter for a few hours.

That be a concern. Picturing some movie now where good vs evil are locked in battle. Both sides of equal power. Never getting anywhere. Would really come down to whoever has the will to go the longest at that rate.

No doubt SBS has something better in mind.

6/1/2017 3:11:31 AM #6

Good question and one ive brought up in the past. This could be solved easily by making armor looting capable on CDG.

Nakeds pose little threat to anyone...

6/1/2017 5:52:03 AM #7

Wouldn't it be better to create special variables for wartime? Perhaps using a mechanic which does not allow you to respawn within a certain radius of your body?

Also, it is war, you die, that's it. In order to keep battles from being waged for eternity, I wonder if their could be a hard repellent to keep revenants from returning to the fight for the 7th time. A sizeable debuff or DoT effect inside the war zone for a certain period of time. The DoT would apply well for attackers, but the debuff would be better overall, discouraging defenders from returning to the aid of their town from the grave, but not penalizing them too greatly for respawning in their home. It's broad, but somewhere in that direction is where I feel an acceptable mechanic exists for war.

Again, these would only be applied to war instances, but I would not be too keen on sitting around forever with no win/loss conditions in sight.

"There is peace, even in the storm."-VVG

6/1/2017 7:12:12 AM #8

Of course players will come 2-3 times again when they die, but this will have a natural end. In other MMOs you could repeat this step the whole day and night because you usually dont lose anything (sometimes a little bit of items) and only get some debuffs. I am used to 4-5 attack runs in other games...

In CoE this will be heavily reduced. At a certain point some things will come into action:

• Dying one or two times might be okay, but you always keep loosing your lifetime. Especially the leaders (kings, lords etc.) will even loose more while dying because of their reknown. Most of wont risk loosing their character for a shiny little castle. So the rounds of attack or coming back will be reduced.

• It takes up huge amounts of ressources. Everytime they die, they spawn naked. Sure they might have backup, but even that has to be planed, transported and maybe lost again. There is no "putting 5 swords in my backpack if one brakes".

• I dont think that attacking a castle/town/whatever will be easy with some naked runs. Especially as this is no game like WoW or something with Lifecount increasing with every level. (And you still have to remember that each death reduces your characters lifetime, so that wont be a thing).

• We dont know how that respawn will work exactly and in which positions you can respawn after you character was CDG. We dont know if the systems will be aware that your home is under attack and therefore might be blocked for respawning, so it might take you some time to walk back to the battle.

In conclusion: Yes for very important objects, there might be 2-3 waves of respawn, but in the long run it will get to expansive (lifetime and material) to spawn over and over again.

6/1/2017 7:22:41 AM #9

Posted By Corfax at 5:12 PM - Thu Jun 01 2017

• Dying one or two times might be okay, but you always keep loosing your lifetime. Especially the leaders (kings, lords etc.) will even loose more while dying because of their reknown. Most of wont risk loosing their character for a shiny little castle. So the rounds of attack or coming back will be reduced.

This one would be incorrect. Your first death has spirit loss, then you can't get anymore spirit loss for 2 hours. SBS basically put that in so if you were getting spawned camped. You don't get utterly screwed over by it. That counts for everyone as well.

I do mostly agree with your other points though. People will probably have 2-3 weapon/armour sets, backed up. Doubtful they would really have many more.

For me it would depend how good at unarmed combat one could get. But then you would have to be hell skilled to be naked and win a fight against someone in gear with weapons.

6/1/2017 7:33:36 AM #10

Posted By TLALOC at 07:52 AM - Thu Jun 01 2017

(...) it is war, you die, that's it. (...)

(...) discouraging defenders from returning to the aid of their town from the grave (...)

great! and you will loose all what you brought to the battlefield, when someone takes it. You can loose arms and legs and even survive with other cruel injures at a war. That's life and that's death. No artificial attraction to war!

House Pyrros

6/1/2017 8:22:10 AM #11

Posted By Corfax at 08:12 AM - Thu Jun 01 2017

Of course players will come 2-3 times again when they die, but this will have a natural end. In other MMOs you could repeat this step the whole day and night because you usually dont lose anything (sometimes a little bit of items) and only get some debuffs. I am used to 4-5 attack runs in other games...

In CoE this will be heavily reduced. At a certain point some things will come into action:

• It takes up huge amounts of ressources. Everytime they die, they spawn naked. Sure they might have backup, but even that has to be planed, transported and maybe lost again. There is no "putting 5 swords in my backpack if one brakes".

• I dont think that attacking a castle/town/whatever will be easy with some naked runs. Especially as this is no game like WoW or something with Lifecount increasing with every level. (And you still have to remember that each death reduces your characters lifetime, so that wont be a thing).

• We dont know how that respawn will work exactly and in which positions you can respawn after you character was CDG. We dont know if the systems will be aware that your home is under attack and therefore might be blocked for respawning, so it might take you some time to walk back to the battle.

In conclusion: Yes for very important objects, there might be 2-3 waves of respawn, but in the long run it will get to expansive (lifetime and material) to spawn over and over again.

Hi Corfax! I think there's some crucial information you're missing here.

• In a battle featuring many people, you only have spirit loss on the first death. If you die multiple times, you still only lose spirit once. That's the whole premise of this thread and the concern that OP has.

• You can't strip armor off a body until the person is perma-dead. If someone has to spirit walk, they wake up in their fully-armored body. They likely won't have a weapon, but they're not naked.

• Attacking a town at all won't be easy, let alone naked - but again, you only lose spirit once per large battle.

• We have a fairly good idea of how you respawn. You don't spawn at your "home" after a spirit walk - you spawn somewhere in the vicinity of your corpse, I think the figure was around 30 feet or so.

Your points were well-made, but unfortunately relied on somewhat inaccurate information.

Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.

6/1/2017 8:30:56 AM #12

Thanks for the clarifications, i indeed missed some of those points.

Then the question will be: How are battles defined, where do they begin, where do they end. (Regarding different attack waves, are those one battle or more as there will be breaks between attacks).

And yes, no i do agree that this might be some problem.

6/1/2017 8:35:38 AM #13

Posted By Corfax at 09:30 AM - Thu Jun 01 2017

Thanks for the clarifications, i indeed missed some of those points.

Then the question will be: How are battles defined, where do they begin, where do they end. (Regarding different attack waves, are those one battle or more as there will be breaks between attacks).

And yes, no i do agree that this might be some problem.

Sorry Corfax, I think I phrased my post poorly - it's not a "when you're in battle" thing, it's a time thing. Like, you can only lose spirit once every 2 hours or so, to prevent spawn-killing and griefing.

6/1/2017 9:36:00 AM #14

Pretty sure it's; While being knocked out, you can only remove the belongings that are easily accessible. Purse, sword, etc.

When CDG'd and you're spirit walking, armor and hidden belongings can be removed. CDG and perma death is not exactly the same, since you will be coming back.

That's been my interpretation of it, has there been dev journals or Q&A's saying differently?

6/1/2017 9:46:01 AM #15

Posted By Jinxklown at 10:36 AM - Thu Jun 01 2017

Pretty sure it's; While being knocked out, you can only remove the belongings that are easily accessible. Purse, sword, etc.

When CDG'd and you're spirit walking, armor and hidden belongings can be removed. CDG and perma death is not exactly the same, since you will be coming back.

That's been my interpretation of it, has there been dev journals or Q&A's saying differently?

I don't have the time to find the DJ right now, but I'm fairly certain that when you're in CDG your weapon and anything in your bag can be looted but not the clothes you're wearing. When you're knocked out, all they can take is anything you were holding in your hands, including your weapon or the reigns of a mount.