COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
Pavlovian needs (Elyrian Psychology)

I've seen/heard a lot of talk about Maslows hierarchy of needs in the dev journals and Q&A sessions, but each time its mentioned its been briefly and the only needs mentioned are the basic needs spoken of by Maslow. My question is what about the less physical needs in the hierarchy (love/acceptance, esteem, and self actualization)? Will these be in the game, if so will player characters have psychological needs they need to take care of in order to stay mentally healthy in order to avoid debuffs or some other kind of penalty, or will it only be for npc's? What kind of effects would these be? I believe that if this is a mechanic in the game it would help to provide a reason, as well as make it more financially viable for certain players to choose to be entertainers (bards, artists, etc) as their career. I'd love to hear other peoples opinions on this, as well as answers to my questions.

6/3/2017 1:32:27 PM #1

It's Maslow, partner! :)

Pavlov was the guy with poor dog...

P.S. I wish I could answer your question, but I'm waiting for news, too! If you're interested in a related discussion: https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/18646/socioeconomics-and-npcs

DPBoD2.jpg

6/3/2017 1:38:53 PM #2

Thanks haha, I had just woken up when I posted this I'll change it.

6/3/2017 2:14:29 PM #3

I don't know that anything has been said specifically about Maslows psychological needs. I know the personality of NPC's will be based on the OCEAN Personality theory. It has been mentioned in relation to taverns that you will get a morale buff from listening to bards that will help you recover vitality more quickly. I believe Caspian has a degree in psychology, so I'm sure he's put some thought into psychological needs of NPC's, but I don't know what his thoughts on the subject are at this point in time.

Shieldwall Strong!