COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SELENE GENERAL
I feel it is too early now to pick an organisation I would like to play in. Am I wrong?

Hello Elyrians!

I have one issue I have been struggling with for a while now and I was hoping you could help me with it.

I have a few ideas what I would like to be/do when the game is launched so I have started looking through the kingdoms/duchies/… forum posts recently. I liked a few there but as quite a shallow person I will mostly pick my character based on their appearance.

Here comes my question: How can I pick where and who with I would like to play as the world is not even generated yet? Despite all promises (e.g. “My county is going to be located near a mountain range with a strong focus on mining”) nothing is certain yet and nobody knows what their land is going to look like and what tribes are going to live there. Meaning, even if I would find my dream county/settlement on forum, the chances are that later on in-game there will live in that area only tribes I don’t like => a big no for me. Or for various reasons kings and other nobility won’t be able to get a piece of land they wanted which will spoil their plans (e.g. no sea in a fishing-oriented duchy). The last point also comes with a funny idea of e.g. pre-arranged mining county full of super-excited bearded miners ending in a flat zone because there was simply no space elsewhere.

So, back to my question: Is it pointless now to try finding somebody to play with? Should I wait at least until the world is generated and kingdoms divided? I hope I am missing something here because I would like to start socializing and making plans with people I might play with in the future.

Thanks!

TL;DL How am I supposed to group up on forum with people recruiting for their organisations as so many key elements (world generation, tribe world arranging, pre-launch events etc.) have not been decided yet. I feel like I am missing something here.

6/7/2017 6:19:21 AM #1

If the details of what tribe you're going to play and the environment you want are really important to you, it would likely be best to wait and see. Some players feel that the community building is more important than being certain about those details. It's really up to you and what you care about more.

6/7/2017 6:27:04 AM #2

MReal hit it on the head! The thing your missing is that most everyone here now places more of emphasis on community rather that biomes etc..

It looks like you've done your homework and know exactly waht you're looking for but unfortunately that something that you are looking for is not available at this time.. Soon!

Good Luck!

6/7/2017 8:14:54 AM #3

With the release of the Tribes i belive you are right . Because every Tribe as his unique traits.. you will see the map first.... then you pick a tribe and a kingdom .... and so on... You got the choise so if I were you i would wait once i can see the map

6/7/2017 8:46:26 AM #4

Many people share your concerns, and they are absolutely valid! The important thing is to know what is important to you in your domain or settlement location - pre-existing relations with your neighbours or land that suits your ideal starting conditions! There are two things that I would like to point out;

• I wouldn't be worried about running out of room, especially on the EU and APAC servers. The initial Exposition rush of players will account for less than 10% of the population potential of any given server. Plenty of land to go around for the landed elite! I dare say there will be plenty of mountainous terrain to go around for any team of miners who wants it.

• Between land selection and even the earliest alpha releases there will be plenty of time for you to network and get to know your neighbours. Even if you leave it until land selection to choose which flag to fly, you'll have so much time to learn about the others who fly the same one :)

Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.

6/7/2017 9:00:23 AM #5

I recommend taking a look at The Kingdom of Vornair. A large majority of the high teired backers in the Kingdom understand that the game is in development and have avoided making any huge promises.

Vornair, As a whole, Shares many of the same concerns. I suggest taking a look at the announcements in Vornairs discord to get a better understanding of our mentalities.

From my experience in Vornair, It appeals to a large majority of different playstyles. Although, It could just be my bias. :)

6/7/2017 10:47:25 AM #6

What MReal said + reason people state such things (land/tribe) is to attract like-minded people and build a community.

If you have set a goal for yourself or like you mentioned - tribe is a huge deal for you, look for communities who stated that they will try to be in same biome as your tribe or those who have a high chance getting it. Yes they can't guarantee that they will land with your tribe on in similar territory in the end but at least they are aiming for it.

I personally expect a lot of recruitment posts to change with time, some of them drastically, and people shifting their communities because they did not fulfill their expectations, which again in my opinion is completely reasonable.

6/7/2017 10:56:49 AM #7

Posted By Rathner at 11:00 AM - Wed Jun 07 2017

I recommend taking a look at The Kingdom of Vornair. A large majority of the high teired backers in the Kingdom understand that the game is in development and have avoided making any huge promises.

Vornair, As a whole, Shares many of the same concerns. I suggest taking a look at the announcements in Vornairs discord to get a better understanding of our mentalities.

From my experience in Vornair, It appeals to a large majority of different playstyles. Although, It could just be my bias. :)

You do know this is Selene, right? As in the EU server :D No Vorn here except those that plan to play an alt on the server.

6/7/2017 11:14:48 AM #8

Personally I go with people. I deceided on the people I want to play with.

But yes your points are valid.

Which is why as a Nomad you are more then welcome to join the unofficial EU CoE Discord

Its a place where EU players can meet up regardless of community

6/7/2017 11:21:30 AM #9

Posted By Rathner at 10:00 AM - Wed Jun 07 2017

Tbh, Vornair is on the NA-E server, and these forums are for the EU server, so as a new player looking for a home, i'd avoid that advise because if you want any random server, you wouldn't have posted your thread here :D

The main thing to ask yourself about finding a group to play with is....

"does what I want to do require something specific"

If that "specific" thing is a tribe, biome or environmental feature, then you'd be right to wait. Maybe look for a kingdom to join instead of a group because kingdoms cover a wide area (i'd recommend Nirath) and will have multiple biomes, tribes and everything else, you can then get to know people and know if the place is right for you.

If what you want to do doesn't require specifics, then find a group that does that "thing" that you want to do. You don't have to start in the same area as them, you can pick based on appearance still and travel to their location. For example, one thing I plan to have in my county is an Arena that develops into a large Stadium, that is something that doesn't depend on geological features or tribes and could easily be build next to farm land or next to a mining community.

Also, if you make joining a kingdom your first priority, it'll help you to narrow down your choices later on :D

6/7/2017 11:33:23 AM #10

Just a little caveat as well as a quick look at what my own process is going to be;

The physical topography and landscape of where I'll be developing my town is of utmost importance to me. I want to build a really nice place to live that adheres - to a reasonable extent - to my vision of what the town is going to be like. Of secondary consideration is the county, duchy and kingdom in which the settlement will sit. However, those things are a consideration, and I'd like to just quickly run through how I think the process will go for me personally:

Pre-Domain Selection

• Prior to land and domain selection, I'll be educating myself to the best of my ability on the politics, ambitions and general "vibe" of the various pledged holdings in Elyria. Maybe I'll make notes on it all, maybe I'll just take it in, but hopefully before domain selection I'll have an okay idea of how each Kingdom, Duchy and (potentially) county wants to conduct themselves and a general idea of their policies.

• I'll decide the general idea of how I'm going to run my own settlement. The direction I hope to take it in, the goals I'm setting for myself and my town. This will include goal population in the first year or so, economic considerations, and, importantly, the biome I wish to place it in and the geographical features I would like nearby.

Domain Selection

• Once those of higher rank and IP have selected their domains and settlements, I'll have a look and see what potential settlements suits my particular desires on the map. To be quite honest, on the EU server, I don't expect Domain Selection to be an extremely competitive time - the server is relatively quiet. So ultimately I'm anticipating there being several locations that fit in the sweet spot of what I'm looking for, geographically and topographically.

• Once I have a short list, I'll compare the settlements against the political locations they are located in. I'll weed out the locations in counties, duchies and kingdoms whose policies or general vibe I fundamentally disagree with. Of those remaining, I'll have a closer look at the communities I'm considering, and then choose the one who appeals the most. At that point, the decision is made - I have my settlement, county, duchy, and kingdom.

Post-Domain Selection

• Once I know exactly where I'll be and who my neighbours are, it's time to officially join those communities and really get to know them. In my pre-domain selection research, I'll have identified those communities I know I'd enjoy being a part of, so this is the time to enjoy them!

• In particular, I'll make contact with the Mayors and Barons who are my direct neighbours, as well as the Count / Countess of my county, and make sure I'm known to them and they to me.

Hopefully, my (planned) process helps you to inform your own! Personally, I think what I have planned is pretty solid in terms of my own priorities and goals, and hopefully you'll be able to adopt it or use it to develop your own plan!

Edit: typo

Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.

6/7/2017 11:45:26 AM #11

Hey Tigan,

There are currently two main streams of thought on your question.

1) I want to select a fitting character appearance.

2) I want to be part of a certain type of community

If your preference is the second option, you can already explore the different groups that are around. Be very suspicious of any group that claims promises like "we are going to be in the mountains" or "we are playing Brudvir" until after land selection and actually knowing where they are located on the map.

You can also combine both options in a possible epic adventure start for your character. If there is no option for your preferred character tribe near the place where your friends are starting, you could make a character far away and migrate across the map towards the location where your friends are. It will take effort and be a challenge. But I also think certain people would love to support you for it. I have already heard people talking about breeding programs, requiring members of foreign tribes in their area.

If you want to fully go for the first option, you should wait until after land selection. Then you can get a better view on which tribes there are, where they are located, and which kingdoms/guilds are active in that area.

6/7/2017 1:12:34 PM #12

My personal take on the matter is, well, it depends on your pledge. If you are an individual or a lower land owner then it won't really matter where you end up. You can either make a choice by Biome/Tribe, by Friends, or by Kingdom. However as your pledge rises in importance the you might consider following a Kingdom or Group of players rather than a person preference such as a biome/tribe. As a Count or Duke I feel the Kingdom and the Players in that kingdom outweigh your personal choice in Biome or what Tribe you belong to, you tend to locate where you King goes. If you are a Mayor, Baron, or just a individual player then you can pretty much locate anywhere you want and start to make friends there. Or if you are joining with friends, you can all decide together.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

6/11/2017 10:33:11 AM #13

What Caelestius said.

In the same boat you see and his decision making process is nigh on identical to mine.

[EU] The Town of Farwatch Selene (Hrothi) - Demalion/Dae Erath/Ash County - Masonry, Scouting/Cartography Animal Husbandry, Agriculture Smithing, Tailoring. Light RP, Casual & PvP Welcome.

6/12/2017 10:11:01 AM #14

overall its what you want to do is the most important.

1st do you want to plan get to know people in your town when you start the game or know them before.

2nd is Biom and tribe the most important for you?

3rd are you willing to change your plans and do something else.

this is some points you should take in consideration. if you playing solo want specific biom and tribe and not willing to do something else.

Picking a kingdom is the worst you can do.

if you want to know people before game is out, dont care to much about biom and are willing to change what you will do depending on biom and tribe.

Then a Kingdom is something you should think of.

since your not to high pledge picking a kingdom isnt that bad unless you will have problem with leaving them and joining some other kingdom to get what you want.

What goes up must come down. Make something idiot-proof, and they will build a better idiot. If a plan is stupid, and it works, it isn't stupid.

6/12/2017 7:15:45 PM #15

Posted By eltaninsroses at 12:14 PM - Wed Jun 07 2017

Personally I go with people. I deceided on the people I want to play with.

But yes your points are valid.

Which is why as a Nomad you are more then welcome to join the unofficial EU CoE Discord

Its a place where EU players can meet up regardless of community

i'll take you up on that offer to join the discord too

Friend Code: 5C6A1F The Sleeper Must Awaken