COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
Tribal leadership dynamics

So, having now read two different tribe write ups, I noticed what I assume will be a pattern among them that will actually define some of their biggest differences, as far as leadership goes. This is theory crafting.

So, it seems that while a title will generally pass from the current holder to their named heir, in the event that one does not exist, the qualities/conditions on which a casus belli depend on varying cultural conditions. So far we know that these are prestige and wisdom/age for the Neran and Hrothi respectively.

Personally, I think this is a really nice touch. I know I saw someone mention with worry that their heir might not be able to take their title because of these differences in leadership dynamics.

That won't be the case, it seems, with these dynamics coming into play more in the maneuvering side of politics. This brings up interesting questions like 'will it be easier for a wise, old Hrothi duke to gather support to overthrow a young king who has recently come into their title. I would guess yes, but I can't say for sure, obviously. What's everyone else think of this dynamic?

⛵️❓💰

6/8/2017 5:13:45 AM #1

Posted By Ihathis at

So, having now read two different tribe write ups, I noticed what I assume will be a pattern among them that will actually define some of their biggest differences, as far as leadership goes. This is theory crafting.

So, it seems that while a title will generally pass from the current holder to their named heir, in the event that one does not exist, the qualities/conditions on which a casus belli depend on varying cultural conditions. So far we know that these are prestige and wisdom/age for the Neran and Hrothi respectively.

Personally, I think this is a really nice touch. I know I saw someone mention with worry that their heir might not be able to take their title because of these differences in leadership dynamics.

That won't be the case, it seems, with these dynamics coming into play more in the maneuvering side of politics. This brings up interesting questions like 'will it be easier for a wise, old Hrothi duke to gather support to overthrow a young king who has recently come into their title. I would guess yes, but I can't say for sure, obviously. What's everyone else think of this dynamic?

I like it, adds story hooks and flavor. Plus it means the NPCs will have some motive to arbitrarily liking or disliking a famous player. Also adds a layer of intrigue to the typical political BS (read dance).

6/8/2017 12:04:35 PM #2

Posted By Ihathis at

This brings up interesting questions like 'will it be easier for a wise, old Hrothi duke to gather support to overthrow a young king who has recently come into their title. I would guess yes, but I can't say for sure, obviously.

Ooo I like it! Could lead to a great story.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14112/naeast-vornair-v%C3%B6lsung-county

6/8/2017 1:15:35 PM #3

Posted By Captain Taylor the Sandy Sailor at 08:04 AM - Thu Jun 08 2017

Posted By Ihathis at

This brings up interesting questions like 'will it be easier for a wise, old Hrothi duke to gather support to overthrow a young king who has recently come into their title. I would guess yes, but I can't say for sure, obviously.

Ooo I like it! Could lead to a great story.

Since the number of kingdoms would be less than the number of tribes, I expect there would be a struggle between tribes within the kingdom for that to happen.

6/8/2017 1:58:35 PM #4

I wonder what people would think about a tribe that were to determine a leader by combat. Potentially with a cooldown and/or requirements for if/when you can challenge the chief.

6/8/2017 2:02:49 PM #5

If anyone is going to be like that MoonChaser, I would expect it to be either the Brudvir, or maybe the Yoru, and we should be finding out about the Brudvir any time now, hopefully.

6/8/2017 3:21:11 PM #6

Posted By Ersatz at 08:15 AM - Thu Jun 08 2017

Since the number of kingdoms would be less than the number of tribes, I expect there would be a struggle between tribes within the kingdom for that to happen.

Good point. I guess I could reword that to, "would someone who is old and wise have an easier time gathering the support of Hrothi nobility for a casus belli?" Players will do what they want, of course, so I guess this would apply more to NPCs.

Having multiple tribes in the same kingdom could potentially make this dynamic even more interesting, with the nobility of each tribe supporting different aspirants.

⛵️❓💰