COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Gameplay mechanics next?

Dear Soulbound Studios,

Lately, I've been thinking. Right now we're getting a lot of tribes content.
I get it, there are 12 tribes that are all very unique in their own way, but it seems more focused on pushing content than anything else. Personally I get the feeling we're focusing more on content (5.5 Q&A's on tribes including the exclusive one) and not on mechanics.

Now, I don't know how many people are like this, but personally I like to "discover" content. Find out their unique traits by playing them or encountering them ingame. (Which is personally why I'm avoiding most of the topics on them)

However, personally I'm more interested in mechanics rather than content. Which is why I'm creating this topic.

So after all the tribes content has settled down, could we perhaps take a more mechanics-based direction in terms of information being released? Think of things like this;

• Farming
    • How do crops work? How do we need to take care of them? Like, is it minecraft style? Plant + water nearby + time = success? Some more in-depth content would be appreciated here.
    • Breeding. It's mentioned before even during the KS, but I think there's a lot more information to be found on what exactly goes on in the process.
  • Crafting
    • We've already seen screenshots where we shape materials in a mold. Is there any more on this? Do we have to melt stuff first (in the case of smithing)? Will different materials make a difference?
    • How much freedom will we get in our own creations? How would tailors make unique content? Do we upload PNGs? Do we get an ingame pixel editor?
    • In case of alchemy, how would we discover what plants/herbs to in a potion context? Do we eat them skyrim-style, and if someone drops dead it's probably suitable for a poison?
    • The resources, stuff like ore probably come from caves with workers. How will mining work? How will woodcutting work? Do we click a tree? Do we have to use our agility to cut the tree in the best way?
  • NPCs
    • How do we interact with NPCs? Do they have some kind of smart algorithm behind them to interpret everything we say? Will we get some kind of UI to select dialogue options?
    • How independent will NPCs be? Let's say a player got a King pledge but never got any members. Would NPCs be able to start a coup?

Ofcourse these are only examples, but lately I've obtained a newfound interest in actually playing the game. What do we generally do while playing? Personally I think the scope of this subject is too big for a single question in an open Q&A so perhaps this would be an idea for an upcoming Q&A?

The parkour video for PAX not too long ago was a video I personally really enjoyed as it showed progress in actual mechanics. I'd love to see more of that kind of content.

To conclude, I've probably said this more often but I personally really appreciate what you guys are doing in developing the game. Despite all disagreements we still love you guys <3

tl;dr - gief mechanic vids pl0x

Yours sincerely,
Ikkerens

6/9/2017 1:24:32 PM #1

I agree wholeheartedly. There's too many questions left unanswered in the department of gameplay, which far more players seem interested in. Getting caught up in tribes is cool and all, but if there's not much of a demand for it, why spend so much time on it?

I understand that there is definitely a player group who has a major interest in this, but it's a shame to "starve" the rest of us for almost two months.

6/9/2017 1:27:12 PM #2

I would love to have a Q&A on guilds, schools and professions.

6/9/2017 1:42:12 PM #3

Yes please. I have an alchemy guild with nothing to discuss about, because we know nothing about even the basics of crafting.

6/9/2017 2:11:01 PM #4

Posted By Draigh at 3:42 PM - Fri Jun 09 2017

Yes please. I have an alchemy guild with nothing to discuss about, because we know nothing about even the basics of crafting.

Idem dito for our merchant guild. I'd love to learn more about the in-game economy, like how trading, especially with NPCs, will function and if and how we can employ NPCs.

Alt text

6/9/2017 2:24:24 PM #5

While I would love to learn more about the mechanics of the game it is to be expected that they want to tell us as much about the world and how it works (lorewise) first. Land selection, KoE and ElyriaMUD are just around the corner and this is the information that could influence the choices we will make in there. Things like crafting will come after that so it isn't really a priority right now.

6/9/2017 2:26:26 PM #6

I agree with you to an extent, but I also understand the "timeline" they are choosing to use.

Yes, you could define tribe information as "content", however, given that domain selection is coming "soon", we need this information, or "content", to assist in those decisions.

I appreciate the order in which they are doing things - they appear to be focusing on providing information in the order in which it is relevant.

At this point, while we would all love to have specifics on "mechanics" (I know I have my own list I would like to see), the "mechanics" aren't really relevant, since we are so long from actually be able to make use of them.

I imagine we will get a few more "content" or informational sessions before we start getting to the mechanics - both for reasons of relevance, and because they probably aren't "done" yet. ;)

Imgur

6/9/2017 2:51:38 PM #7

Though I get what you are meaning. I agree with Greenhill. How crafting/pvp etc work aren't going to have any effect on me over how tribes/biomes will with where I am picking.

6/9/2017 2:55:21 PM #8

Posted By Marovec at 4:26 PM - Fri Jun 09 2017

Yes, you could define tribe information as "content", however, given that domain selection is coming "soon", we need this information, or "content", to assist in those decisions.

Posted By Gunnlang at 4:51 PM - Fri Jun 09 2017

Though I get what you are meaning. I agree with Greenhill. How crafting/pvp etc work aren't going to have any effect on me over how tribes/biomes will with where I am picking.

I definitely agree with the both of you, right now the subject of mechanics is of slightly lower priority as we're working towards domain selection and the variables required to make an informed decision. But what about biomes? What are their triats in CoE's context? Personally I don't need several information sources on one single subject even if they are relevant to an upcoming decision.

Regardless, my post is mostly for "after" this. I don't know what SbS has planned for us in the future but I'm just here to express that I'd love to see more mechanics.

6/9/2017 3:23:07 PM #9

Mechanics are nice and all but...

We technically need to know more about to tribes and less about mechanics right now in order to participate in land selection - I think this is one of the main reasons they are releasing this information this month as selection isn't too far away.

I don't think SbS wants anyone blindly picking a biome without first knowing what tribe they are signing up to be.

6/9/2017 3:30:06 PM #10

Yes, I would love loads of game play mechanics described too. I am with the OP in that I "thought" I would find the game mechanics far more interesting than the tribes and tribe related things. But considering the land selection is just around the corner it just isn't as important as this tribe and biome info as far as land selection goes.

And I am actually surprised how interesting and informative I am finding the tribe write ups. Way more so than I thought I would for the simple reason in previous games, it mattered so little what you picked other than how your characters and starting area looked after a few levels that I had no interest in it for this game.

I find these write up drawing me into wanting to "be the character" in the game over wanting to "play" the character more and more.

6/10/2017 12:30:57 PM #11

The tribes definitely have their place, I just wish we didn't spend the entirety of two months (in a row) on them.

Why not present them in more bitesized bits? Split them up and add other stuff inbetween?

6/10/2017 9:50:53 PM #12

Everything in OP, including Guilds and Combat would be a worth while information for all of us before land-selection begins.

6/10/2017 10:52:39 PM #13

Like to see a Combat (skills) and PVP Q&A,

But realize that everything getting setup now is for Domain & Land selection. So I would expect Q&A's that will help in making these choices (Tribes, Biome, Map, Resources),

What else would you need to pick a domain, Land, we should know what tribes are within the lands? will we know if there will be multiple tribes at land selection? Will we know how many settlements are within each county? or will this all come later?

6/11/2017 12:52:32 AM #14

Posted By Iccubus at 6:52 PM - Sat Jun 10 2017

Like to see a Combat (skills) and PVP Q&A,

But realize that everything getting setup now is for Domain & Land selection. So I would expect Q&A's that will help in making these choices (Tribes, Biome, Map, Resources),

What else would you need to pick a domain, Land, we should know what tribes are within the lands? will we know if there will be multiple tribes at land selection? Will we know how many settlements are within each county? or will this all come later?

From my understanding, the tribes available in any particular areas should be able to be determined by the biome(s) present. Settlements/resources per county will likely depend quite a bit on how things turn out in procedural generation, though I expect there will be some indication about these when people are actually selecting areas.

Knight Chancellor of Ironholde - Servant of Serverus, Lord of Ironholde - Darkholm Dutchy - Kingdom of Blackheart

6/11/2017 10:03:53 PM #15

I understand SbS spent most of last year and this one working on back-end stuff related to SpatialOS. But we need some more love, so I agree with this, we need to see some mechanics coming to life, the front-end of things, if possible. It'll keep the community hooked and entertained more. Especially for people that have been waiting for a long time.