COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Just Realized Math is Important

Die one death as an unknown = 2 days = 2/7 a in-game year

Max life = possibly 14 months (not really exact)

~14 months = ~60 weeks = 60 years old

Caspian said on average a person would die once a day with the champion lifestyle:

Live: 20 weeks + Lost (due to death): 20 * 2 = 60 weeks

You take over a character at minimum age 15 years old (in-game)

20 years you play + 15 where you start = 35 will be where you expect to die

Tip: Keep track of all your deaths, so that your permadeath doesn't blindside you xD

PS - This doesn't include disease, poison, or ANY other mechanics, so this is probably an optimistic view

PPS - If you play as a ward you get an additional 3 weeks to make up for the lack of family advantage

Friend Code: 1BD8F6

6/11/2017 5:52:10 AM #1

Pretty sure the die once a day example was given for illustrative purposes, not that they were guiding balance towards the desire to have champion lifestyle characters die this frequently.

Knight Chancellor of Ironholde - Servant of Serverus, Lord of Ironholde - Darkholm Dutchy - Kingdom of Blackheart

6/11/2017 6:25:51 AM #2

Your math is messed up, lifetime for all tribes is 52 weeks now.

6/11/2017 6:28:13 AM #3

He stated they changed it to 12 months ...

6/11/2017 6:40:29 AM #4

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

As stated above, a standard lifespan is now 1 year (365 days). If one were to die every day and loose 2 days per death that person would spend 1/3 of their total days alive and loose 2/3 of them.

1/3 * 365 = 121.666_, which is approximately 17 weeks or 17 Elyrian years. So the character would die at 32 (15+17).

That means the maximum number of times an average person could die (not counting nobility, etc.) would be 121. Also the minimum play time would be 121 days or 17 weeks; again roughly 1/3 of a year. (I rounded down because that's the convention in most games.)

Again if I'm wrong please correct me, it's late, I checked the math, and being me I most likely made a mistake somewhere.

It's actually a lot simpler now that I think about it.

It's okay to make mistakes. At least...that's what everyone keeps telling me.

6/11/2017 6:48:55 AM #5

If I remember correctly, we were told that a spark would get you at least three months of play time. That's meaning spirit walking once or twice a day.

6/11/2017 6:55:47 AM #6

SBS has promised that your permadeath will not blindside you. You will receive cues to tell you that your final death is nigh. your distance from your body in the spirit walk, as well as how well you can or cannot see your spirit cord and other currently unknown clues will give you a pretty good idea that should you die again you won't make it back.

~ Goody Odsbodikins, Count of the Highest State. ~
Friend Code: F41EFF

6/11/2017 7:18:29 AM #7

Posted By CezarCez at 02:28 AM - Sun Jun 11 2017

He stated they changed it to 12 months ...

Damn, I guess I'm missing stuff. Where did you hear/see this?

Friend Code: 1BD8F6

6/11/2017 8:55:50 AM #8

it was hidden at the end of one of the latist deve journals Vye Released litaly the last sentance

Click Banner To Visit County. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

6/11/2017 1:47:27 PM #9

"One important thing which is not effected by Tribe is lifespan lengths. In the early designs of the game we'd had a random lifespan between 10 and 14 months to account for differences in genetics. But we've since done away with that, and given everyone a standard 52 week lifespan, regardless of bloodline or tribe." -A tale of 12 tribes

So die daily you get 1/3 of your maximum life span. assuming you didn't die while doing a crime

Lets say you figured out how to die right after the 2.5 hour cooldown, 3 times a day. IE 7.5 hours of playtime. And you died every 2.5 hours you could lose a week (assuming you only play for 8 hours. In one play session if you are trying to die. you would have 52 days minimum, saving you don't get caught for crimes. so Almost 2 months. Down from just over 17 weeks, or just over 4 weeks.

Generally speaking, this game will be less expensive than most other sub based games, even if you die a whole lot. It only starts becoming more expensive than most other sub based games if you actively seek out death consistently.

6/20/2017 2:36:00 PM #10

Who knows how much deaths you could play given your fame?

I think I heard somewhere that after 3 deaths, someone of a king level status would permadie.

Also, would killing an OPC lead to that player losing game time as well? If not then I could see people disconnecting their internet or alt f4 when they see themselves losing a fight to avoid the spirit loss.

UDL

6/20/2017 3:15:59 PM #11

Posted By Yoruninja808 at 09:36 AM - Tue Jun 20 2017

Who knows how much deaths you could play given your fame?

I think I heard somewhere that after 3 deaths, someone of a king level status would permadie.

Also, would killing an OPC lead to that player losing game time as well? If not then I could see people disconnecting their internet or alt f4 when they see themselves losing a fight to avoid the spirit loss.

There is no difference between an opc and a player controlled avatar in terms of death penalty. Killed while behind the keyboard or not doesn't change the loss of spirit. The only difference is if killed while in OPC mode your spirit walk won't start till you log back in.

6/20/2017 4:50:51 PM #12

Posted By LukeSpyro at

Die one death as an unknown = 2 days = 2/7 a in-game year

Max life = possibly 14 months (not really exact)

~14 months = ~60 weeks = 60 years old

Caspian said on average a person would die once a day with the champion lifestyle:

Live: 20 weeks + Lost (due to death): 20 * 2 = 60 weeks

You take over a character at minimum age 15 years old (in-game)

20 years you play + 15 where you start = 35 will be where you expect to die

Tip: Keep track of all your deaths, so that your permadeath doesn't blindside you xD

PS - This doesn't include disease, poison, or ANY other mechanics, so this is probably an optimistic view

PPS - If you play as a ward you get an additional 3 weeks to make up for the lack of family advantage

Depending on how and where you die, if your fame increases the number work out different. BUT you only lose spirit if you die die, not receiving Grievous wounds. Depending on what or who you're fighting, a champion/fight may never be Cou De Grah'd. And most wild animals or NPCs won't outright kill you either. This specific instance of character lifespan is something they said would be iterated on in testing to balance spirit loss.