COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAN MEDIA
Bagpipes - A Guide

An Introductory Guide on Bagpipes

And why they should be important to you

A typical modern pipe-band, during a Highland Games festival

A Brief History

Bagpipes, despite popular opinion, are not in origin a Scottish instrument. In fact, their history goes significantly further back. Historical carvings have dated them all the way back thousands of years; where they were used by the Hittites. Much as other instruments evolved, so did the bagpipes. Their next prominent rise was during the Roman times, under the name tibia utricularis.

Some rumors are so bold as to claim that Caesar himself used such an instrument while invading Britain, both terrifying and inspiring the locals with the powerful presence behind the pipes. This had allegedly caused the early introduction of bagpipes to the Celtic peoples. The claim lacks solid evidence, yet the legend is still told throughout Italy to the local pipers, who have played there for countless generations.

During the medieval and renaissance times, bagpipes began to take the form we recognize them in today. Larger bags, more complex chanters, and the addition of side pipes, or drones. The French developed the Musette de Cour, and the Irish developed the Uilleann, among countless others.

Construction of a Bagpipe

Ambiguous responses are better than no response!

Many of you have probably seen this message, or thought so yourselves that the creation of a bagpipe is too complex, or difficult to manage so early game. This is not necessarily the case; the construction is simple and divided up into four basic parts, as follows.

The Air Supply

In it's most basic form, the air supply is a standard mouthpiece of which you blow into to fill the bag. More complex and advanced pipes may include a bellow, similar to an Accordion; but that's a long ways off.

The Chanter

Anyone who's played any pipe instrument at all will immediately recognize this part; it's the part you actually play. Like a flute or a recorder, the chanter produces different notes the same as any wind instrument.

The Drone

Easily the most recognizable second only to the bag, the drones are the extra pipes on the side. They produce a constant tone by letting out air from the bag, which can be adjusted to change the tone. This is the part of the bagpipe that makes the notes long lasting. Historically, these are a later addition to bagpipes.

The Bag

The one, the only - the bag. Air is held within the bag to supply the chanter and any drones. Typically, the bag is leather, and detachable for easy cleaning.

Usage

Bagpipes are by far one of the most versatile instruments. Whether you're inspiring your troops as they march onwards to battle, celebrating a merry festival, or even a solemn funeral ceremony; bagpipes work for any occasion.

Wartime

Here's a good example, for reference.

I can't think of a single instrument that can compare when it comes to pumping you up. Increased tempo, uplifting tones; and an accompanying drumbeat can get your heart racing in a moment. Morale soars in the ranks with pipers around, and there's some fantastic historical examples of this effect. An army that marches in silence, dies in silence.

Everyday

Every day's a good day with bagpipes

Every instrument has a place around the fire at your local tavern, but the bagpipes take it one step above. Festivals, games, tournaments; a good pipe band can liven up even the most somber of crowds.

Funerals & Solemn Affairs

Another example, one I'm sure you've all heard before

Whether it be a tribute to the lives lost to the wars of yesteryear, or a final send-off for an old friend, a heartfelt performance can grip those present, and help ease the otherwise painful silence.

In Summary

Bagpipes are cool. They're relatively easy to make, and have existed for millennia, with even more still yet to come. Music is a powerful tool, and when utilized correctly, can empower anyone. Wars won with vigor, and friends brought closer by the merriment of song. Music is a cornerstone of culture, and to leave out such a key part of it would be a travesty. To me, nothing embodies the spirit of this quite like the bagpipes. So as a closing statement, I'd like to say just a few more words directed to the kind folks at Soulbould Studios;

Can we please have bagpipes?

6/11/2017 7:49:44 AM #1

Reserved for future ramblings

6/11/2017 8:36:41 AM #2

This is really cool. Lots of info here! Bagpipes seem easy to construct but I've seen them IRL and they look like a pain in the dick to play!

Friend code: 2D42A1

6/11/2017 8:52:36 AM #3

Click Banner To Visit town. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

6/11/2017 1:18:36 PM #4

Those and some bodhrans are HAVE TO's for CoE. And I will have the Reed flutes ready!

6/11/2017 1:42:53 PM #5

Single handedly delivered upon one of the greatest questions of all Elyrian time.

The sound so beautiful in its own way, a sound that could carry your soul from the heavens and back.

It would be a travesty to not include such a wonderful instrument.

I'm so happy our Scottish ancestry is shining bright right now!

Bagpipe4CoE

6/11/2017 1:46:05 PM #6

Eww

6/11/2017 2:02:43 PM #7

The bagpipes are definitely a good instrument to have in CoE for, if no other reason, their ability to produce a large amount of sound which is important for outdoor performance. And the cool thing about them is that they really don't need to be accompanied by other instruments so independent musicians could have the bagpipes as a solo instrument.

There are other instruments that would also be great for loud performances such as the various brass wind instruments, bowed and non-bowed string instruments-which aren't as loud but still resonant if they have a hollowed out body, and percussion instruments-weather they be suck like drums or shaken as tambourines. These would be the staple instruments along with voice if that is even a thing.

As for the complexity, any tonal instrument would have its challenges in producing because of the math involved to get the instrument to produce the tones you want. For this reason, instrument players and producers should come up with a set to system for creating the instruments. This way, we can avoid the need to transcribe as with irl instruments and it would be less of a hassle to learn multiple instruments. In a nutshell, running everything to concert pitch C.

For those who prefer simpler instruments, I'd say percussion would be your best bet. Non-tonal percussion, that is, percussion instruments that don't play multiple notes. They would be easier to produce without having to worry about much tuning and more straightforward to play, learn, and teach.

I don't know how the game will be set up for the music related things yet so these are just my general thoughts.

~Swamp

6/11/2017 3:43:03 PM #8

I love it! Nice work on the writeup, and I agree on the inspiring and mournful character of the pipes.

6/11/2017 5:50:42 PM #9

Posted By Huntsmaster at 09:43 AM - Sun Jun 11 2017

I love it! Nice work on the writeup, and I agree on the inspiring and mournful character of the pipes.

I'd be lying if I said your posts weren't a big influence on how this one turned out, glad to hear you liked it!

6/11/2017 6:16:00 PM #10

Bards are some off my favorite people

Battlefield Bagpipes

+1 Energy Regen

6/11/2017 7:32:11 PM #11

Now there is a useful idea for a design experience. Keep up the good work, laddie

We Are The Many... We Are The One... We Are THE WAERD !!!

6/11/2017 8:35:26 PM #12

Tha gu dearbh! This post should be stickied. I've already seen in one of the DJs, the mention of kilts in game. This made me smile. Now we need to have something to play while wearing said kilts. We need bagpipes! I've been playing for about 25 years, so if you need any sound bites or tracks, SBS, let me know ;)

Thank you, Yorick, was much needed!

Alba gu brath

6/11/2017 11:15:21 PM #13

We def need bagpipes. But we also need the 50+ instruments I play too lol

I dislike melons reasonably

6/11/2017 11:25:59 PM #14

Posted By Just Swamp at 3:02 PM - Sun Jun 11 2017

The bagpipes are definitely a good instrument to have in CoE for, if no other reason, their ability to produce a large amount of sound which is important for outdoor performance. And the cool thing about them is that they really don't need to be accompanied by other instruments so independent musicians could have the bagpipes as a solo instrument.

There are other instruments that would also be great for loud performances such as the various brass wind instruments, bowed and non-bowed string instruments-which aren't as loud but still resonant if they have a hollowed out body, and percussion instruments-weather they be suck like drums or shaken as tambourines. These would be the staple instruments along with voice if that is even a thing.

As for the complexity, any tonal instrument would have its challenges in producing because of the math involved to get the instrument to produce the tones you want. For this reason, instrument players and producers should come up with a set to system for creating the instruments. This way, we can avoid the need to transcribe as with irl instruments and it would be less of a hassle to learn multiple instruments. In a nutshell, running everything to concert pitch C.

For those who prefer simpler instruments, I'd say percussion would be your best bet. Non-tonal percussion, that is, percussion instruments that don't play multiple notes. They would be easier to produce without having to worry about much tuning and more straightforward to play, learn, and teach.

I don't know how the game will be set up for the music related things yet so these are just my general thoughts.

People are going to troll with bagpipes get 6 guys with bagpipes in a crowded area lol.

6/11/2017 11:43:09 PM #15

thank you for bringing one of - if not THE most - important questions to be answered. bagpipes are obviously the backbone of any civilization worth mentioning and should definitely be brought to CoE.

Great Writeup btw.