COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Combatsystem

The Combatsystem seems to be quiete static and boring at the moment. It isn´t even possible to swing your sword while moving... Don´t seems fun to me... Hopefully at least the craftingsystem will be fun to play..

6/11/2017 1:15:40 PM #1

the combat system that was on show in any video you seen was a very basic one they made for demos of there product. the overall combat will be different as it is being currently overhauled from what i can gather from dev posts.

the game is not in A1 yet thats when we can test the combat system and where they will refine it more.

till then its hard to make a judgement

Click Banner To Visit County. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

6/11/2017 5:18:44 PM #2

Yep another combat system is in the works but I really hope they make it fluid , directional based and mostly skill based - I can't wait to see their take on archery as they said it was supposedly going to be very skill based .

6/19/2017 12:37:35 AM #3

assassin's creed origin have really nice combat. they could do something like that . looks a bit simple tho

6/19/2017 12:48:28 AM #4

I am hoping for something similar to mount and blade combat. However one issue i foresee with that, is character skills would not matter at all. A player with experience on it could be naked using a stick and totally destroy a full armour two handed knight with maxed out combat skills.

Although I want the combat to be player skill, it will have to have a balance that probably leans toward character skill, if it's all player skill it creates issues and makes combat skills less worthwhile.

6/19/2017 6:10:24 AM #5

Mount and blade Warband combat would be perfect. Player skill should be of main focus here. If a naked barbarian kills a full plate Knight because he's of higher skill than good for him and the knight needs to train.

6/19/2017 6:17:09 AM #6

Why do people make a complain about combat when the game is still in pre-alpha. The game in general is not even close to it's final product.

6/19/2017 6:18:13 AM #7

Elhamer, although on paper that sounds fine, it would result in 12 year old characters (Who should be effectively useless) battering to death full plate mail players because he's played a similar other game.

In addition, levelling combat skills would be completely pointless.

There has to be a good balance between player skill and character skill.

I've played Mount and Blade sinse release and still do, if someone comes onto here and plays the game for 6 months training up their combat, it wouldn't be a fair system if I could join in and kill him as a fresh spawn with no stats.

One potential way of combining the two, would be to use the Mount and blade style directional attacking/blocking but things like the speed of your swing, and the chance of succeeding to block would depend on stats. So an experienced player with no skills would likely still lose to someone with a high skills character purely off of ineffective blocking and slow counter attacks. However two more evenly matched players the player skill would be a much bigger factor.

I feel that'd be a good and fair balance.

6/19/2017 6:37:41 AM #8

It's an RPG Character skills should always be the deciding factor, not someones ping or how fast they can mash a keyboard.

Click Banner To Visit town. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

6/19/2017 7:10:21 AM #9

From what I gather, it will be similar to stats in a pen/paper game. So having high strength will make your hits do more damage. The player skill is a big factor, though, because that damage is useless if you can't hit your target due to their speed and agility. Realistically, someone "naked and with only a stick" could beat aj armored knight, if the knight didn't ever hit him, but then you know, one hit fron the knight would pretty much end the fight.

kypiq

6/19/2017 8:33:58 PM #10

@SIlkybazaar although I partially agree, I also don't want to see the standard MMO of just clicking on an enemy and waiting for your player to kill them. One hit at a time. With no player interaction.

6/20/2017 12:42:33 AM #11

Posted By SilkyBazaar at 11:37 PM - Sun Jun 18 2017

It's an RPG Character skills should always be the deciding factor, not someones ping or how fast they can mash a keyboard.

There are ways to make it skill based without keyboard mashing, by making a system that relies on footwork, timing,dodging and tricking the opponent without allowing attack canceling. And like I said on the other thread, the more skill based the combat system is, the longer people are going to want to play it.