COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Tribal Relationships

Hi, everyone! I'm sure all of you are following the new Tribe info dumps closely, and some of you may have noticed that I've been working on creating graphics to help visualize the friendships and rivalries that exist between the twelve Tribes. I've been posting them in the past few Tribe threads, but I decided that it's worth having a dedicated thread to discuss how the tribes view each other, since it will presumably play a considerable role in in-game diplomacy.

Tribal Relationships

Tribal Relationships (EDIT: Updated to v4)

Observations

• Of the eight starting tribes, all eight are either friends or enemies with their closest neighbors.
  • The Polar and Temperate regions tend to get along well with their neighbors, and, with the exception of the Kypiq, actually get along great in general.
  • On the other hand, the Tropical and Equatorial regions seem to be made up of two discrete alliances pitted against each other; the Two-fold Queen tribes (The Waerd and the Dras) vs. the To'resk and Janoa. All four of these tribes are enemies with the two from the opposite alliance.
  • The two Virtori Tribes (Hrothi and Neran) are allies, as are the two TFQ tribes (The Waerd and Dras,) but surprisingly the Faedin don't get along well. The Kypiq are rivals with both other Faedin Tribes (Brudvir and Janoa,) and the Brudvir and Janoa have no relationship with each other at all.

Awards

• The Homecoming King award goes to the Neran, who are actively liked by a stunning five out of the other seven tribes.
  • The Most Loathed award, on the other hand, is a three-way tie! The Kypiq, Janoa, and Dras are all disliked by three of the other seven tribes, while only being liked by one.
  • The Just Leave Me Alone award goes to the Hrothi, who have three unreciprocated rivalries (with the Kypiq, Dras, and The Waerd). Two out of these three tribes actually like them in return!
  • If you have any ideas for other awards, let me know :P

So what do you guys think about how the politics of Elyria are shaping up? I'm interested to hear what you all think! :D

6/19/2017 7:19:24 PM #16

Yeah, I intentionally placed the Tribes in order of latitude to try to keep the lines neat and organized, since I saw that most of the relationships (both positive and negative) were relatively short-distance, geographically. You can sort of see the pattern being formed; aside from the Hrothi/Dras/Waerd triangle, most of the connections are around the edges of the circle. I'm interested to see whether that pattern continues and we get a sort of "wreath" effect in the finished map, although probably with a gap between the Yoru and Erishé.

6/19/2017 7:56:57 PM #17

Posted By Imshada at 06:34 AM - Mon Jun 19 2017

Posted By Caelestius at 04:53 AM - Mon Jun 19 2017

Have you considered adding some sort of overlay or additional indicator for religion? The relationships between tribes of the same religion so far seem to be quite interesting!

I've actually wanted to do that since the beginning, but I haven't quite come up with a good way to represent it. I thought about adding little icons next to each circle, but I don't really know what imagery would be recognizable, especially at such a tiny scale. Color-coding isn't really a great option since I'm already using color-coding for the climate regions... I'll give it some more thought and see what I come up with.

It is a wonderful piece of creative work you have made for us to track this. The icon representing each tribe has a halo behind it with the Bio zones it's in. I noticed that you had placed a symbol on the name bar showing their religious belief. Maybe changing the Name bar's color to match a set religion might make it easier to notice. you then could also connect groups with a second line showing their religious interactions. Just a suggestion.

Governor of Fararo, In service to Duchess Hela and Duke Nimb Zephyr of The Anemoi and their TRM King Evelake Rhyne and Queen Lagertha Rhyne of Vornair. Join the Dance of Destiny because 'Winter is Coming.' Friend code: 3F53D0

6/19/2017 9:15:36 PM #18

Well done!

Just a idea, could you makes a color blind adapitation? On the lines a icone.

Hey, Hey, você quer comprar bolo de fuba?

6/19/2017 9:21:23 PM #19

What will you do now with the recent tribe update on the four other tribes?

-MX

Alt text - can be left blank

6/19/2017 9:25:25 PM #20

enemy is a harsh word. I wouldnt say we hrothi actually have enemies. Its just, that there are disliked tribes, as we dont like being outbid on our monopoly. I'd not call them enemies. Otherwise, every country worldwide is surrounded by enemies, because there always is something to envy. While I'd agree on calling parts of the 'unfriendly' relations enemybehaviour, I dont see this in case of Hrothi (till now). And even if we dont like everyone, we wont harm them either as we are fine with our caves in the mountains. Not like some others that want to invade everywhere and kill everything on sight. Thats not virtuous!

Friend Code: 30EF47

6/19/2017 9:36:28 PM #21

Posted By MayorFreyrDonovan at 2:56 PM - Mon Jun 19 2017

I noticed that you had placed a symbol on the name bar showing their religious belief. Maybe changing the Name bar's color to match a set religion might make it easier to notice. you then could also connect groups with a second line showing their religious interactions. Just a suggestion.

That's an interesting idea, have the circle's color represent the biome and the label bar's color represent the religion? I'm not sure how that would look, but I'll try it out and see if it makes things easier or harder to see.

Posted By Nitropingo at 4:15 PM - Mon Jun 19 2017

Well done!

Just a idea, could you makes a color blind adapitation? On the lines a icone.

D'oh. I didn't think about that. I tried to pick colors for the outer arcs that would be easier for colorblind people to see, but I didn't think about the lines. Red and green is a pretty bad combination, I'll try to mess with the value of the colors to make them stand out more, or add some sort of subtle pattern or something.

Posted By Lech at 4:21 PM - Mon Jun 19 2017

What will you do now with the recent tribe update on the four other tribes?

-MX

Not entirely sure. I imagine we'll still get concept art for the last four, and there might still be a relationships section in their write-ups, so we'll see. I might not have to change anything.

6/20/2017 1:42:10 AM #22

Love the chart for the most part, but why only the male faces?

2A4E09

6/20/2017 1:54:36 AM #23

Posted By Slaine at 8:42 PM - Mon Jun 19 2017

Love the chart for the most part, but why only the male faces?

Honestly, I just picked whichever one I thought looked better for each, and it happened to be the male one for all 6 of them... I did like the female Brudvir concept, especially her hair, but using the male Brudvir just seemed appropriate somehow. When we get the rest of the concept art I'll be sure to include a couple female characters, too. I'd put both on all of them, but space is fairly limited and I don't want to make the faces too small.

6/20/2017 2:36:09 AM #24

Of course we are the most hated tribe, because it is not us they hate... it is themselves they hate the most! Other tribes believe the death and slaughter of innocent animals is perfectly fine for their "diets". We are all about the respect for living breathing sentient beings. Good day and great work Imshada! Fantastic organization on the diagram. :)

Yours Sincerely, Verde the Zealous Kypiq

6/20/2017 5:42:49 AM #25

Any chance of a larger resolution image to keep on our computers/desktop backgrounds? It's a super awesome and useful image!

Death is just another path, one we all must take

Friend Code: C8DF9C

6/20/2017 6:07:17 AM #26

Posted By BioRules at 12:42 AM - Tue Jun 20 2017

Any chance of a larger resolution image to keep on our computers/desktop backgrounds? It's a super awesome and useful image!

Sure! Here it is in 4000x4000 high-res. You should be able to scale that to whatever size you need. If you remind me, I can update this one as well when new info comes out.

6/20/2017 9:07:23 PM #27

Bravo! Added:

-Link- How does my tribe relate to other tribes?

to [Sticky] Read First General FAQ's

6/20/2017 9:14:30 PM #28

Maybe convey that the Hrothi - Kypiq relationship is non mutual as well,

The Kypiq like the hrothi, but the hrothi don't like the Kypiq.

6/20/2017 9:50:32 PM #29

Posted By Kyxsune at 5:14 PM - Tue Jun 20 2017

Maybe convey that the Hrothi - Kypiq relationship is non mutual as well,

The Kypiq like the hrothi, but the hrothi don't like the Kypiq.

The Hrothi are under unfriendly for the Kypiq, so no.

Hrothi - The Hrothi harbor a distrust of the Kypiq, due to their propensity for gathering items of visual interest, as well the Kypiq's ability to navigate their normally impassable tunnels. The Kypiq really have no idea about this, finding endless interest in the underground passageways they are constantly being prevented from entering and illuminated manuscripts they apparently weren't given permission to pick up. They share a love of knowledge and a faith-bound duty to protect, which should bring them together. The Hrothi disagree with the experimental and oftentimes chaotic approach the Kypiq take, often bringing up the old saying, "Even a chisel can fell the mountain."

-MX

Alt text - can be left blank

6/20/2017 11:22:24 PM #30

Very well done! Have you considered including a legend for the meaning of lines? It would save you a few bullet points.

As for the comment about faces, why not do a half and half face? Male/Female have one half?