Posted By Josseline at
My questions for that sort of situation are:
1) Is that sort of scenario even possible outside of heavy dedication to RP, say, with game mechanics?
IIRC; this sort of situation is completely possible and probably happens often. This is a world of conflicts and resolution after all :D
2) With magic in this world strongly hinted at, can we expect divine blessings and curses?
I remember it being mentioned somewhere that you can receive benefits if you are devout in your religion. But like Karik said, "Devs are intentionally vague on it for likely the same reasons they are mum on magic, they want us to find out."
3) Will religious orders be allowed to grow and spread their influence organically, assuming there are any at all?
The ones that devs have release or player made ones?
4) Can a governmental body become a theocracy?
In one of the Q&A the question was asked if we can change the government after launch and the answer was yes. Longer answer is we can research or write laws that allow us to institute other types of government. (Found at CoE Q&A)
5) Can new religions created by players threaten to usurp the long-standing religion(s) of a tribe?
This answer also relates to question 3. Religions created by players will not have any religious benefits. So any religion that is player made will be a cult. (See next answer)
That being said, there is nothing, mechanics wise, that would prevent you from attempting to convert the populous of a tribe. We are still waiting to hear more on how this will work.
6) How will cults be handled?
Depends on the players. I'm sure that something will happen, NPC wise, to avoid conversion to a religion that they are not familiar with but, again, we are waiting to hear more from devs :)
7*) Through extremely rare, unusual, highly unlikely circumstances, can a character become a god (even if that player is then forced to start their next character)?
I don't believe that they have said anything on this topic yet and would be a great question for either the Religion or Open Topic Q&As.
8) Will there be rare but sometimes tangible results for dedicated followers, perhaps less potent but no less desirable than magic?
This is a good question to ask in it's own post IMO to get a feel for desirability from the player base.
(internally prepares for flame) In my humble opinion, there should be no magic and no benefits from religion. You would survive wholly on your skills as a player. Not based on "Talents" or "Magic" or anything supernatural... I know that I'm in the minority here.
9) Will there be a framework for religious institutions, much like there will be for businesses and governmental bodies?
I would assume so based on information they have released regarding organizations and guilds since this is just another type of organization.