COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Range Weapon

I was looking through wiki, under combat, about skill categories

There doesn't seem to be a blowgun under the range category- now, I'm wondering will blowguns be made as technology advances? Or, will there not be any at all and we're stuck with bows and eventually will use guns when technology allows. If any of you know, please comment.

Thank you for your time in reading this message.

6/19/2017 7:04:58 PM #1

Hopefully we don't get to guns in the lifecycle of the game but since we know so little about combat, what's in or out at launch is still an unknown.

Click Banner To Visit town. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

6/19/2017 7:29:14 PM #2

I don't know what improvements will be available for blowguns. It's an interesting question, but I don't know much about them as weapons.

We are expected to get to a steampunk/industrial level of technology near the end of the ten year story. This will include early guns. They will be unlikely to be as accurate and safe as modern guns, however.

Shieldwall Strong!

6/19/2017 8:45:49 PM #3

The level and range of experimentation and research is supposed to be driven by what the crafting community actually works toward. Meaning if the community drives toward a technology that is what the developers will work on.

That being said I am sure they have a limit in mind we just don't know what that will be.

6/19/2017 8:55:47 PM #4

Posted By Morholt at 4:45 PM - Mon Jun 19 2017

The level and range of experimentation and research is supposed to be driven by what the crafting community actually works toward. Meaning if the community drives toward a technology that is what the developers will work on.

That being said I am sure they have a limit in mind we just don't know what that will be.

Blowpipes/blowguns seemed to have been used A Looooong time ago. So, I would assume that the technology isn't too advanced to make the weapon. to me, it would seem like it is easily made in tropical regions. Thank you for your imput though. I need to re look the crafting category.

6/19/2017 8:58:42 PM #5

Blowguns would be great additions, especially among the swamp/tropical tribes more likely to have the poisons and materials needed.

Balance-wise, I expect they'd be more useful in short to mid-range against lightly armored opponents, versus bows that would be better mid-long range against better armored opponents.

6/19/2017 9:03:42 PM #6

It'd be pretty interesting to see a gun developed from technology in a game like this to say the least, would certainly spark some Age of Empires nostalgia.

6/19/2017 9:04:27 PM #7

We are starting in the "Bronze age" as far as tech is concerned so I am sure blowguns would most likely be around at launch. Remember we are still pre-alpha so just because they were not included in the first or second pass over does not mean they will not make an appearance at launch.

Especially now that we are getting the tribes fleshed out I am sure that popular tribal weapons or variations will be added. For example of your blowgun we now have the write up on the Dras and their culture would lend well to this type of weapon. I know other tribes would also lend well to them they just strike me as the most suited.

6/19/2017 9:12:24 PM #8

Posted By Morholt at 5:04 PM - Mon Jun 19 2017

We are starting in the "Bronze age" as far as tech is concerned so I am sure blowguns would most likely be around at launch. Remember we are still pre-alpha so just because they were not included in the first or second pass over does not mean they will not make an appearance at launch.

Especially now that we are getting the tribes fleshed out I am sure that popular tribal weapons or variations will be added. For example of your blowgun we now have the write up on the Dras and their culture would lend well to this type of weapon. I know other tribes would also lend well to them they just strike me as the most suited.

Bronze age?... But there is iron...

I'm not a doctor.

6/19/2017 9:24:20 PM #9

And when someone says blowgun they are referring to this this Ever shoot a spit ball? Same concept just deadlier.

For all you people thinking it was something like this this Sorry..

Judging from the fact that the Janoa are hunters, live in the tropical forest (lots of wood), and have a poison resistance. I could see blowguns being or becoming a thing.

Although....it would probably require a mechanic similar to the archery's firing an arrow as forces in the world could affect the flight path of the dart. Not to mention your character would have to blow into the blowgun. That would probably also become a skill-based thing needing a mechanic to allow for the amount of air a character breathes into the gun to affect the velocity of the dart..

I'm not a doctor.

6/19/2017 9:28:37 PM #10

I thought we were talking about both of those as they were both in the OP's original question. Hence the answers stating that the blowguns should be in game at launch and the answers saying that while most doubt we will see modern firearms, it depends more upon the crafting community pushing that direction and the devs allowing it.

6/19/2017 9:33:53 PM #11

Posted By Proteus at 5:24 PM - Mon Jun 19 2017

And when someone says blowgun they are referring to this Ever shoot a spit ball? Same concept just deadlier.

For all you people thinking it was something like this Sorry..

Judging from the fact that the Janoa are hunters, live in the tropical forest (lots of wood), and have a poison resistance. I could see blowguns being or becoming a thing.

Although....it would probably require a mechanic similar to the archery's firing an arrow as forces in the world could affect the flight path of the dart. Not to mention your character would have to blow into the blowgun. That would probably also become a skill-based thing needing a mechanic to allow for the amount of air a character breathes into the gun to affect the velocity of the dart..

I would hope a blowgun would have more precision (Since the barrel is leading the shot further in a specific direction. I would agree that it should be used to close- medium range. Whereas, a bow could be crafted for long range.

I agree with you for the amount of air a character would need. Maybe, stamina is a mechanic they could include that determines the power of the shot? (Instead of size). Definitely debatable.

6/19/2017 10:10:07 PM #12

Posted By Morholt at 5:28 PM - Mon Jun 19 2017

I thought we were talking about both of those as they were both in the OP's original question. Hence the answers stating that the blowguns should be in game at launch and the answers saying that while most doubt we will see modern firearms, it depends more upon the crafting community pushing that direction and the devs allowing it.

Ah xD I missed that sorry my bad, thought OP meant blowgun again. Yeah Caspian and the devs are pretty set against guns in Elyria, BUT they said if that's really what the players want to research we could see maybe a musket or a flintlock by the end. However thinking that you'll be able to create semi-automatics or automatic machine guns? Pretty sure you won't see them.

And in terms of "When technology allows" people have to be actively researching guns continuously until they are created for there to be guns. You won't suddenly come online one day and the devs say "Btw we added guns" unless people were researching them.

I'm not a doctor.