COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SELENE GENERAL
EU Server

Is there any idea of where the EU Server will be based? "Europe" When it comes to servers tends to mean "Anything that isn't the U.S. or Australia" so having just one server might mean that a good 3/4 of players on the EU server have unrealistically playable ping. I could imagine losing a lot of players over this within the first week/month.

6/20/2017 5:01:46 AM #1

Don't know if that is confirmed yet or even outdated but talk was about a Server in Frankfurt in the past.

6/20/2017 9:14:51 AM #2

Surprisingly "EU" and/or "Europe" servers tend to refer to EU or Europe located servers,

The server will likely be central europe located however if the EU server had a mad rush of players, they may consider having an East and West version of the Europe server.

The actual location though is something you can't pin down in CoE's case because it will be on cloud servers, either Googles or Amazons, but thats could change i suppose, as well as if either of those companies expand their range of cloud servers to include more locations.

You can ping their cloud servers now to test ping, many different websites allow you to do it and here's one i found

This is just an example ping though as it just tests your browser to their cloud servers, when your actually ingame pings may be slightly higher depending on the amount of information being transferred.

6/20/2017 9:33:45 AM #3

EU Servers often include Russia and Africa, aswell as often China. Even League of Legends has Africa using the European servers despite the European servers being the most populated. I cannot think of a single game where "Europe" or "EU" servers aren't just the fill in for "Everywhere else" but that's besides the point.

But considering Europe has double the population of the U.S. and they're more spread out, two servers for the U.S. yet only the one for EU might be a bit backwards.

I wasn't aware they were going to use cloud servers though, which at least puts my worries of losing players through ping, or at least should do, at ease.

Thanks!

6/20/2017 10:07:35 AM #4

We don't quite have double the population, but between SpatialOS and cloud servers, ping should be fairly stable across the EU. For those playing from Russia / Africa that's a different story. China and other Asian countries will most likely connect to APAC.

Brash

6/20/2017 10:13:07 AM #5

Europe does have over double the population of the U.S. How that translates into active gamers I've no idea, but if taken from other games then EU tends to be way more populated.

As long as ping is stable it should be fine to be fair, if massively overpopulated it can always be split, but due to the nature of the game, that'd involve roughly half the people giving up everything they've done, accomplished and gained. Which may prove more difficult the longer it goes on, but we'll see.

I just worry that the Devs may have really underestimated what they've started here, and it may come round to bite.

6/20/2017 10:13:51 AM #6

No real info on it ever since they toyed with the idea of 2 EU servers, but back then they said one would be hosted in Ireland and the other one in Germany. I guess you could expect one of those locations for our server, hopefully it should work for most folks in and surrounding Europe.

6/20/2017 10:19:03 AM #7

Ireland would be perfect for me, I'll take 10 ping thankyou very much.

Not sure the Elyrians of South Africa would agree.

6/20/2017 11:26:58 AM #8

Posted By Terrantal at 8:07 PM - Tue Jun 20 2017

China and other Asian countries will most likely connect to APAC.

Nah high chance they will be going to NAW since that has the lowest ping for them. If they even bother at all since their ping will still suck.

Posted By Zantonny at 8:13 PM - Tue Jun 20 2017

Europe does have over double the population of the U.S. How that translates into active gamers I've no idea, but if taken from other games then EU tends to be way more populated.

I just worry that the Devs may have really underestimated what they've started here, and it may come round to bite.

How populated a country or group of countries are in RL means nothing. As it stands the EU population is lower than the NA one. So there is no need to open up another EU server.

Also for this game, having a dead server would be beyond bad and since you can't just merge servers.. well having one is better all round. Servers can hold, just a soft cap of 100k players as well. So unless the population really goes through the roof, then sure maybe they need to open up another server. But they also need to hope it stays high, over the gamers that jump to the new thing and play it for a year, before moving on. Cause like I said, empty server is very bad.

6/20/2017 11:42:18 AM #9

Posted By Zantonny at 10:33 AM - Tue Jun 20 2017

EU Servers often include Russia and Africa, aswell as often China. Even League of Legends has Africa using the European servers despite the European servers being the most populated. I cannot think of a single game where "Europe" or "EU" servers aren't just the fill in for "Everywhere else" but that's besides the point.

People who use a server is very different from where a server is located.

If someone from China wants to use the European server over APAC or NA-W, then thats their choice entirely, but your original question was about where the server is based, not about which random countries may or may not possibily be using the server :D

Posted By Zantonny at 10:33 AM - Tue Jun 20 2017

But considering Europe has double the population of the U.S. and they're more spread out, two servers for the U.S. yet only the one for EU might be a bit backwards.

FYI, there is no "U.S." server, it's an "NA" server (North America), the populations are pretty similar, sure Europe still has more, but population doesn't matter, it's more about the population that will actually play the game, and North America has more people that will play the game, as is proven by the amount of the community that are early adopters of the game... since they need 2 servers to house everyone, compared to EU that needs 1 server.

6/22/2017 4:27:14 PM #10

Posted By Nagash at 1:42 PM - Tue Jun 20 2017

FYI, there is no "U.S." server, it's an "NA" server (North America), the populations are pretty similar, sure Europe still has more, but population doesn't matter, it's more about the population that will actually play the game, and North America has more people that will play the game, as is proven by the amount of the community that are early adopters of the game... since they need 2 servers to house everyone, compared to EU that needs 1 server.

most of the reason people have 2 NA servers and 1 EU servers is because were people live and the location of servers. if you placed the server in the middle like you can do in EU. you will have more people with higher ping then if you place 2 servers on each side.

so all in all you gain more from having 2 servers then 1 in NA but EU you gain more from 1 huge.

when you look at the kingdoms sizes who knows how many kingdoms we would have today if we knew it would be 2 servers in EU and the kingdom pledge been open.

EU:743.1 million(2015)

NA:579 million(2016)

What goes up must come down. Make something idiot-proof, and they will build a better idiot. If a plan is stupid, and it works, it isn't stupid.

6/22/2017 7:01:45 PM #11

Yes EU Server in Germany/Austria/Switzerland like DACH Region and one in the UK /France will be fine - minimum 2 please, thanks :)

Friend Code: 78B990

Played Ultima Online from 1996 till 2002, World of Warcraft, Rift and Dark Age of Camelot

6/23/2017 11:07:04 AM #12

The main reason there are 2 NA servers as opposed to 1 EU server is because the community is presented in English.

Continental population doesn't really matter right now because the whole system is presented in English. There are fan sites and different language speaking communities for CoE sure, but since it's presented in English and marketing material is all English, people who's primary language is English are more exposed to the game.

So statistically there are more English as a first language speakers in NA than there are in Europe, which naturally creates a larger community for CoE in the NA regions.

I'm sure there will be many more languages supported officially later down the line, and maybe that'll open up a bigger European community, but for now it is as it is :D

6/23/2017 11:19:10 AM #13

They will be almost certainly Google GCP servers as the SpatialOS deal is with Google. But who's to say Improbable make a second deal with AWS in the future.

As for EU location, I have a VPS in Holland and get a nice 20ms ping, but it's not exactly central EU.

[EU] The Town of Farwatch Selene (Hrothi) - Demalion/Dae Erath/Ash County - Masonry, Scouting/Cartography Animal Husbandry, Agriculture Smithing, Tailoring. Light RP, Casual & PvP Welcome.

8/25/2017 8:08:02 PM #14

As somebody who has seen many new online games getting published in the EU by NA counterparts, I can almost guarantee that Soulbound will HAVE to create at least another server.

This is not only for the eastern block, but also for countries like Germany, Turkey and so on. These are countries that generally have their own servers since they don't speak english very well, as well as having the size to possibly populate a server.

~

8/26/2017 11:37:58 AM #15

You forget that many people WANT to play together with others from all over europe and the world, because that's what makes MMOs special!

Life is too short to play bad games.