COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Transplanting

With the different biomes and the ability/need to replant seeds and etc. I wonder how "locked in" things will be. The thought I just had was getting some saplings for those large trees the kypik live in and replant them in another biome so that I could build a house in.

First off.. how long would it take for that tree to become full grown and will the game mechanics allow for such a thing? I realize further north where its colder would make those tree possibly impossible to grow.

Also, I can see things like growing trees for the lumber instead of traveling to another tribal location to get said wood. A worry would be how involved SBS will be in making some species invasive and cause environmental issues.

I can also see using those tree as a natural defense barrier. My final thought is, since plants age and die.. will Kypik trees where they build there houses be under the same situation, that after x amount of time, the tree comes down on its own by aging? I think this is a question Kypik players may want answered. If it does age, I'd assume it can live for hundreds of years. But, can it also be poisoned and killed sooner?

Thoughts?

6/20/2017 3:57:28 PM #1

It would take a LONG time for it to grow, imo

Friend Code: 1BD8F6

6/20/2017 4:09:54 PM #2

I would imagine that those trees would be subject to the same sorts of limitations that are why they appear in those biomes in the first place.

Coniferous trees do better in Alpine climates that Deciduous trees do...based on many factors. If you look at an isolated mountain, you can see that it has more broadleaf trees near the base, and more pine trees nearer the peak. In an Alpine Forest, basically everywhere is at an altitude where pines far dominate over broadleafs. So if you try to plant a Kypiq tree on a mountain, it would be harder to keep alive.

Likewise, attempting to grow a massive tree in a semi-arid desert isn't going to work....and trying to keep other plants from overtaking your Kypiq tree in the jungle would be a never-ending battle...and a tree like that would probably die of toxins and too much water if planted in a swamp.

So....I imagine you can certainly try to move plants from one biome to another.....but there's a reason those plants grow in those biomes and not others. But with enough work, it may be possible.

Knowing what I can do isn’t the same thing as knowing what I can’t do.