COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Just more Bounty system questions

From my understanding of the current bounty system, if a contract wasn't fulfilled then you could go to the sheriff and trade it for a bounty token.

But how do you generate a bounty token on a bandit or pirate? With a bandit attack you wouldn't have a contract to get a bounty token so if you went and killed a bandit for revenge and to get your stuff back it would still be considered an illegal activity since they currently only known legal way to kill someone is through the bounty system.

That being said, if the bounty token is a physical item within the inventory then could a deviant steal it and therefor make it like the contract/bounty token never existed?

I know the game would know you still did a deviant activity but if there's no proof then how would players be able to sentence you to sprit loss prison? Or would your next death, regardless of who kills you, incur the wrath of all those you killed before.

If it was the later then there's nothing stopping bounty hunters from finding you and killing you again (again imagining that you've already died some other way prior) just cause they still had that bounty token, incuring even more spirt loss on the deviant player but no spirit loss for the bounty hunter since they did it "legally" and that I feel would be a double jeopardy on the deviant.

Also, what about for crimes that are not associated with the bounty tokens? If I did 10 crimes but only get charged for 5 would the bounty token only count for those 5 crimes they could prove was done by me?

Lastly, what about the possibility of fake bounty tokens? Since we know deviants can forge contracts, what's to say a deviant couldn't forge a contract saying on the local blacksmith didn't send the 50 swords they promised to guild x and get a bounty on them? Using illegal activities to generate a legal way to further your illegal activities.

UDL

6/20/2017 3:23:36 PM #1

Short answer: we don't know!

Long answer: we don't know yet.

I'm being facetious, but this is one thing we don't have massive detail on yet. One thing to consider, however, is that the "laws" of a domain are being referred to by the dev team as implicit contracts. Thus, in committing a crime of any kind, a contract is being broken - leading to the generation of a bounty token!

What we don't know is -

• How we report crimes we don't know the perpetrator of

• How forging contracts and forging bounty tokens will work

• How cross-border crimes and bounties work

• If you can be caught for some crimes and not others

But I'm sure we'll find out!

Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.

6/20/2017 3:47:44 PM #2

Posted By Yoruninja808 at

From my understanding of the current bounty system, if a contract wasn't fulfilled then you could go to the sheriff and trade it for a bounty token.

But how do you generate a bounty token on a bandit or pirate? With a bandit attack you wouldn't have a contract to get a bounty token so if you went and killed a bandit for revenge and to get your stuff back it would still be considered an illegal activity since they currently only known legal way to kill someone is through the bounty system.

That being said, if the bounty token is a physical item within the inventory then could a deviant steal it and therefor make it like the contract/bounty token never existed?

I know the game would know you still did a deviant activity but if there's no proof then how would players be able to sentence you to sprit loss prison? Or would your next death, regardless of who kills you, incur the wrath of all those you killed before.

If it was the later then there's nothing stopping bounty hunters from finding you and killing you again (again imagining that you've already died some other way prior) just cause they still had that bounty token, incuring even more spirt loss on the deviant player but no spirit loss for the bounty hunter since they did it "legally" and that I feel would be a double jeopardy on the deviant.

Also, what about for crimes that are not associated with the bounty tokens? If I did 10 crimes but only get charged for 5 would the bounty token only count for those 5 crimes they could prove was done by me?

Lastly, what about the possibility of fake bounty tokens? Since we know deviants can forge contracts, what's to say a deviant couldn't forge a contract saying on the local blacksmith didn't send the 50 swords they promised to guild x and get a bounty on them? Using illegal activities to generate a legal way to further your illegal activities.

(numbers indicate paragraphs)

1. Yes
  2. You are still able to identify them (clothes, eyes, etc.) which would create a profile and you would work from there and look for more evidence
  3. I think of tokens = one piece bounty posters. You can pull them down, but the government should have a master list to pull from. IDK if they have to create the list themselves or a game mechanic.... If you can manage to remove EVERYTHING, then you are probably scot-free
  4. You wouldn't be sentenced as you got away with it. Think Ocean's Eleven (they got away kinda, but they didn't get rid of ALL evidence or trails)
  5. There is no double-jeopardy. Communications are slow though (only mail) so I can see it taking time for bounty hunters to learn you no longer have a bounty. Just go with them quietly if you have been absolved (or at least think so) and see what happens.
  6. A bounty token is created through the efforts of investigation, so if there is no bounty token for a crime (assuming what you did was a crime because kings decide whats illegal) then you are just good at getting away with crime (50% is not good enough though lol).
  7. Probably, but would people get tricked?

PS - Nothing is official so I am basing it on discussions and trends I have seen these as well as my own research. Take it with massive amounts of salt

Posted By Caelestius at 11:23 AM - Tue Jun 20 2017

Short answer: we don't know!

Long answer: we don't know yet.

I'm being facetious, but this is one thing we don't have massive detail on yet. One thing to consider, however, is that the "laws" of a domain are being referred to by the dev team as implicit contracts. Thus, in committing a crime of any kind, a contract is being broken - leading to the generation of a bounty token!

What we don't know is -

• How we report crimes we don't know the perpetrator of

• How forging contracts and forging bounty tokens will work

• How cross-border crimes and bounties work

• If you can be caught for some crimes and not others

But I'm sure we'll find out!

1. You investigate to find the perp or move on
  2. Scribes make contracts and Deviants make forgeries, so I would assume they would tackle this role
  3. Jurisdiction doesn't seem to be a game mechanic that influences crime. I believe it would be up to the leaders on an individual basis.
  4. If you aren't caught, then you are considered a successful deviant so I would assume you can escape detection to a degree if properly hiding your identity

PS - Nothing is official so I am basing it on discussions and trends I have seen these as well as my own research. Take it with massive amounts of salt.

Friend Code: 1BD8F6

6/20/2017 5:43:36 PM #3

Can you explain further on how there's no double jeopardy?

Since the Bounty Hunter would still be after you, if you can't evade / die by their hands you still lose spirit and since their doing it under the protection of the token then they don't have to worry about suffering the ramifications of killing an "innocent" target.

UDL