COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
PC spies acting as NPCs

Just a thought but wouldn't the most effective information gatherer be the one you wouldn't suspect?

Or in the case of CoE, a near by "NPC"... just imagine how much of a mind fuck that would be if Charles the cabbage man was a spy for a rival kingdom...

Edit: Also adding in Gary the Guard and Brumhilda the Blacksmith to a list of possible NPC spies.

UDL

6/20/2017 3:30:33 PM #1

An OPC alt works just as well. Just program them to write down the local rumors and your good to go. Want something more involved? That might require skills and a skilled hand at Typescript.

6/20/2017 3:55:09 PM #2

Its always the maids

Friend Code: 1BD8F6

6/20/2017 4:16:38 PM #3

I plan on auto-walking into a wall for a few minutes so people think I'm an NPC or at least an OPC.

6/20/2017 4:20:34 PM #4

I think Garret the Gate guard would be great. Search the wagons, learn what the city needs/wants, who goes and comes and how often etc.

6/20/2017 4:24:43 PM #5

Posted By Scheneighnay at 09:16 AM - Tue Jun 20 2017

I plan on auto-walking into a wall for a few minutes so people think I'm an NPC or at least an OPC.

Kinda lacking in faith for SbS's ai pathfinding hmm? You might give yourself away if their npcs never do that.

6/20/2017 4:36:56 PM #6

Your comment is interesting. At first I wouldn't have thought there would be NPC spys, as I would assume they wouldn't be good at it - or make it obvious. I guess you should trust few people in CoE.

6/20/2017 5:14:08 PM #7

Posted By ElijahInDaFrey at 5:36 PM - Tue Jun 20 2017

Your comment is interesting. At first I wouldn't have thought there would be NPC spys, as I would assume they wouldn't be good at it - or make it obvious. I guess you should trust few people in CoE.

I think he means for someone to pretend to be an NPC for months maybe even years in a rivals settlement, not actually use an NPC.

6/20/2017 5:15:39 PM #8

Posted By SoulSpark at 07:14 AM - Tue Jun 20 2017

Posted By ElijahInDaFrey at 5:36 PM - Tue Jun 20 2017

I think he means for someone to pretend to be an NPC for months maybe even years in a rivals settlement, not actually use an NPC.

That and now I'm asking the question if it's even possible since as far as I know, we don't know what the chat system will look like when interacting with an NPC vs a PC.

UDL

6/20/2017 5:16:49 PM #9

Posted By Kyxsune at 05:30 AM - Tue Jun 20 2017

An OPC alt works just as well. Just program them to write down the local rumors and your good to go. Want something more involved? That might require skills and a skilled hand at Typescript.

Honestly I'd be surprised if an OPC could take down notes on local rumors. Also I wonder what kind of reputation you'd get with the local populace if your OPC did all the talking for you.

UDL

6/20/2017 5:19:52 PM #10

Posted By Yoruninja808 at 1:16 PM - Tue Jun 20 2017

Posted By Kyxsune at 05:30 AM - Tue Jun 20 2017

Honestly I'd be surprised if an OPC could take down notes on local rumors. Also I wonder what kind of reputation you'd get with the local populace if your OPC did all the talking for you.

Depends. I would expect an OPC to have the same level of competency as an NPC at base. This includes knowledge of the local state and renown. NPCs are also know to keep journals, so Id be surprised if an OPC was barred from doing the same.

6/20/2017 5:27:38 PM #11

Just to throw there in the mix of the conversation:

Although some information accessible in game might be interesting to have, the sensitive information and inner workings for many kingdoms will probably be happening on VOIP servers - not via ingame chats.

6/20/2017 5:30:25 PM #12

I'm going to be a PC spy acting like a deviant and undermining every single move Vornair makes.

Selling all info to the lowest bidder!

6/20/2017 5:33:24 PM #13

Posted By Subterfuge at 07:30 AM - Tue Jun 20 2017

I'm going to be a PC spy acting like a deviant and undermining every single move Vornair makes.

Selling all info to the lowest bidder!

Hey it's Subterfuge!

The legend...

UDL

6/20/2017 5:33:31 PM #14

Posted By Subterfuge at 1:30 PM - Tue Jun 20 2017

Selling all info to the lowest bidder! Posted By MoonChaser at 1:27 PM - Tue Jun 20 2017

Although some information accessible in game might be interesting to have, the sensitive informaion and inner workings for many kingdoms will probably be happening on VOIP servers - not via ingame chats.

While that is true, the story engine has access to all events that occur in game. No action can be taken without the engine being aware. If the engine thinks your secret may be a nice story hook, its going to be leaked.

6/20/2017 5:35:10 PM #15

Posted By Kyxsune at 07:33 AM - Tue Jun 20 2017

Posted By Subterfuge at 1:30 PM - Tue Jun 20 2017

Selling all info to the lowest bidder! Posted By MoonChaser at 1:27 PM - Tue Jun 20 2017

Although some information accessible in game might be interesting to have, the sensitive informaion and inner workings for many kingdoms will probably be happening on VOIP servers - not via ingame chats.

While that is true, the story engine has access to all events that occur in game. No action can be taken without the engine being aware. If the engine thinks your secret may be a nice story hook, its going to be leaked.

Dun Dun Dunnnnnnn!!!!

UDL