COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Player knowledge vs Charecter knowledge

Do ingame tool tips pass from one character to the next?

I.e. If I played an alchemist in one life, if in the next I wanted to play an alchemist all over again would the specifics about each herb ( the tool tip info ) be unknown to me until I discover it again?

I'm thinking that reagents would be akin to something like in the Elder scrolls series where once you eat a plant you'll see what kind of benefits/harm it gives and you'll learn more the more you use it.

It's a little immersion breaking if my second character who shouldn't know that this particular plant is used in crafting useful potions unless the parent had extensive knowledge within that field.

Bear in mind I am planning on playing a ward, have a child at a young age and abandon it to hopefully get a revenge story so I have no intent on actually raising that money black hole myself so while I know this won't be the case for most players, it is kinda something I'm wondering as someone who wants to play mainly wards.

UDL

6/20/2017 5:43:18 PM #1

I think you retain patterns learned that in previous lives and just need to skill up in order to use them so knowledge of herbs gained in one life would most likely transfer also once your skill is raised. Also from what I have read the reagents found in the world will be distinct so you will probably be able to tell by looking at them after a while.

As far as child abandonment, I do not think you can at least not easily. You have to have a residence and an empty room in that residence in order to get a child. Then if you want more you have to have more rooms.

If you could abandon them then you could just turn them out into the street and continue breeding to get you desired stats/traits

Alternately I suppose that you could abandon or destroy your residence once you get your child.

6/20/2017 5:46:35 PM #2

I was gonna abandon it at an orphanage at the earliest age I could... a donation to the ward pool.

UDL

6/20/2017 5:55:35 PM #3

They have not said no to orphanage donation of child codes but they have not said yes yet either. Unless it came up against n in the last Q&A as I missed it.

6/20/2017 6:04:49 PM #4

Nope it's just hopes and dreams, but if not then I'll just have no kids. Maybe after a couple life's..

UDL

6/20/2017 6:18:32 PM #5

Posted By Yoruninja808 at

Do ingame tool tips pass from one character to the next?

I.e. If I played an alchemist in one life, if in the next I wanted to play an alchemist all over again would the specifics about each herb ( the tool tip info ) be unknown to me until I discover it again?

It will be unknown to you unless your guardians (e.g. family members) teach you the patterns. Those patterns are physical objects so you can learn from the scrolls or from books etc.
However there is no magical knowledge transfer without learning or teaching. But there is a speed bonus in learning the skills you've obtained in a previous life of your soul. Those are weighted amoung all previous lives of the soul.

I'm thinking that reagents would be akin to something like in the Elder scrolls series where once you eat a plant you'll see what kind of benefits/harm it gives and you'll learn more the more you use it.

In many biomes you may not want to randomly eat plants that could be poisonous. Most likely you would try to find out the easy way and consult knowledge basis if it can do harm to you.
If there isn't any available, one will probably be able to find out by consuming or trying to process the plant similar to what you've said.

It's a little immersion breaking if my second character who shouldn't know that this particular plant is used in crafting useful potions unless the parent had extensive knowledge within that field.

Correct. However note that for example with the Kypiqs it's common practice to learn from people other than your parents as well.

Bear in mind I am planning on playing a ward, have a child at a young age and abandon it to hopefully get a revenge story so I have no intent on actually raising that money black hole myself so while I know this won't be the case for most players, it is kinda something I'm wondering as someone who wants to play mainly wards.

With the current mechanics in place - in order for you to be able to get a child - you'll need to provide the resources and a room in a house of yours for it. Without that you cannot have a child. (Unless it will be changed such as dropping off a child at an orphanage.)
And as long as you cannot/don't put a soul in the child, it will remain to be an NPC with it's own personality and needs it will try to satisfy. Unless you decide to give away the child code to someone to put their soul into the NPC of course.