COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Spacial Building Limits

When constructing a house/dungeon, particularly for one that is underground or has underground parts, do we have to take into account the possibilities of running into other people's basements/dungeons during construction?

What kind of tools/methods do we have for making sure that our epic boss room full of wraiths and stuff doesn't overlap with Uncle Joe's Wine Cellar?

With strength and great cunning, I shall forge blades to last generations. With cunning and great agility, I shall master the arts of the blade so that I may show my customers how best to respect their new arm extensions.

6/23/2017 1:54:24 PM #1

No idea why this got downvoted, put you back to +0 my friend.

A valid point I think, especially if every inhabitant of a town or city has the same idea. I'd imagine planners will put residential dwellings in the same quarter. So these peeps will likely want to safeguard their valuables by digging down and out.

I see this as being a problem very early on. My suggestion would be to not allow such burrows to merge, it would be as if you encountered a steel wall and can go no further.

But how does that help when you are the last to dig and are surrounded on all sides and completely underneath?

Needs some more thought.

[EU] The Town of Farwatch Selene (Hrothi) - Demalion/Dae Erath/Ash County - Masonry, Scouting/Cartography Animal Husbandry, Agriculture Smithing, Tailoring. Light RP, Casual & PvP Welcome.

6/23/2017 2:00:59 PM #2

The topic has (partially) been touched on by the last QA (Tribe II). 'Ownership' of land expands vertically (both below and above ground level), so you kind of have the very same tools available to you that ensure that you're keeping your house (as well as others do to claim and/or destroy it).

Sage willing to help with Purity (if you spot me on Discord and have some Plague on your account that could be nullified with a trade, drop me a message on Discord)

6/23/2017 2:06:15 PM #3

Simple as Logain pointed out, you own your land and you are the only one allowed to build underneath it. If you burrow outside you piece of land into another's domain then you are trespassing and that neighbor has the right to destroy what you've built. If someone has dug in under your land you also have the right to destroy it, same as if someone built a house on your land.

TL;DR - It's your land, as above, so below.

• "The only thing certain in Life is Death, do not fear that which is known." - Orashna, Master Warrior and Expert Herbalist
6/23/2017 2:30:06 PM #4

As Orashna said...territory ownership extends below ground and, presumably, there'd be a way to tell that you were about to leave the territory you owned while digging.

On the other hand, for actual tunneling, I do think it would be nice for them to include a method to check and see "Is there anything on the other side of this wall?"

Realistically, if you struck a wall to start digging through it, and there was open space on the other side, it would sound different. You'd get that nice hollow 'thunk' instead of the normal sounds (though, realistically, the hollow sound would taper in gradually, not just that you're digging and then there's an abrupt sound change.)

So, based on the fact that there is a realistic way to tell if you're about to dig into an open space...I could see SBS implementing something like this.

This would be useful not just for construction and making sure you don't cross into someone else's space, but would also be useful in, say, invasion tactics. If you're trying to dig your way into a Hrothian city, you want to know before you hit one of their tunnels so you can round up your troops, make sure you're all well fed and watered and rested, and be ready to storm the tunnel the moment you break through.

Although, conversely, someone inside the space you're about to break into should be able to hear you digging and testing for open space on the other side of the wall...and may be able to prepare an ambush for when you break through.

Knowing what I can do isn’t the same thing as knowing what I can’t do.

6/23/2017 2:38:44 PM #5

When building under your property just keep in mind that you will need to build supports for what you've excavated and any buildings on the surface will be limited in scale due to the weight of the structure not being fully supported by the ground underneath it. There's a reason there are no tall buildings over the catacombs of France.

NA-West Barony Corvoviste | Founder of the Farstriders | FC: DAF200

6/23/2017 3:29:01 PM #6

I would want some kind of notification because it would be difficult underground to know your position.

There may be some with deviant inclinations, but I feel the majority of people would be making an honest mistake.

Friend Code: 1BD8F6

6/23/2017 3:49:10 PM #7

Posted By Orashna at 12:06 AM - Sat Jun 24 2017

Simple as Logain pointed out, you own your land and you are the only one allowed to build underneath it. If you burrow outside you piece of land into another's domain then you are trespassing and that neighbor has the right to destroy what you've built. If someone has dug in under your land you also have the right to destroy it, same as if someone built a house on your land.

Though everything you said is true. Your neighbour still has to find you are tunnelling under their land. Unless they hear you or find your tunnel, well not like they know what you are doing. Just something people should keep in mind.

6/23/2017 5:15:40 PM #8

Well...also keep in mind though that digging is not going to be very easy and you still need like architects and such to make actual structures underground and build supports while you tunnel.

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding. You cannot subjugate a nation forcibly unless you wipe out every man, woman, and child. Unless you wish to use such drastic measures, you must find a way of settling your disputes without resort to arms." -Albert Einstein

Friend Code: 86EE7E

6/23/2017 5:17:23 PM #9

actually you need architects for the blueprints and layouts, then actual builders and material to complete the construction of any structure. It's not a cake-walk underground either because supports likely can collapse and it's dangerous to dig underground in case of cave-ins, etc.

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding. You cannot subjugate a nation forcibly unless you wipe out every man, woman, and child. Unless you wish to use such drastic measures, you must find a way of settling your disputes without resort to arms." -Albert Einstein

Friend Code: 86EE7E

6/23/2017 5:22:39 PM #10

Depends largely on how far down we can go. My neighbour digging into my mineshaft isn't too big an issue if all he can see is the yawning maw of the lightless abyss below after an hour of following it down.

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.

6/23/2017 5:26:17 PM #11

What about this, say me and my neighbour want to have an underground tunnel that connects our houses. Is that possible?

And what if there was more than 1 neighbour. The idea of a tunnelling system to connect various buildings owned by different people. Is it possible or would we not be able to connect with others people's property because of an "invisible wall" surrounding your private territory?

I am more interested in the freedom of doing such things rather than the laws that could be enforced by players at will.

6/23/2017 5:37:36 PM #12

Posted By TheMurossy at 03:26 AM - Sat Jun 24 2017

What about this, say me and my neighbour want to have an underground tunnel that connects our houses. Is that possible?

And what if there was more than 1 neighbour. The idea of a tunnelling system to connect various buildings owned by different people. Is it possible or would we not be able to connect with others people's property because of an "invisible wall" surrounding your private territory?

I am more interested in the freedom of doing such things rather than the laws that could be enforced by players at will.

There is no invisible walls in this game. You see a mountain, you can climb all the way to the top, if you got the skills. Not like in most games where they will stop you.

Same with underground. Sure you need supports, but apart of from that. You wanna dig somewhere, go crazy. No walls will stop you.