COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Kypiq Complaints

I personally think that the Kypiq are unbalanced compared to the other tribes and need adjustment.

First, let’s talk about advantages: Small size - Ability to hide easier due to small size, can fit into tiny spaces most races can't To me it's kind of assumed that they could do that, as they’re small than all of the other tribes- not a lot of complaints here

Enhanced Eyes - Eyes can see in low light, also glow similar to cannis rabbit in the dark. I forgot where this came from, I think from the Hrothi, but it was commented that people could simply turn up their screen brightness and see in the dark - nullifying this advantage. Although, I would keep the glowing eyes as that could backfire on them- maybe it's a pro for them, I don't know. More information is needed

Animal Emotes - Emotes mimic animal sounds I personally like this one, I think it's a funny aspect to give to the Kypiq and would keep it, maybe it has some hunting pros (MAYBE)

I would personally get rid of the second one and instead give Kypiq speed – not enough speed to outrun the Neran but I would make them faster, as they’re smaller and have less mass. Besides, it’s low fantasy so I think we can allow them to be a bit faster as they’re the weakest tribe- which is fine we don't want them to be too overpowered. I hope they become agile and a bit faster than expected. This would give them some chance at surviving.

Secondly, disadvantages: Small size - outside of their natural biome the Kypiq have a hard time getting to higher places. They also are limited by the type of gear they can wear and mounts that are available to them due to their size.

The 'gear' part I’m totally cool with because it makes sense, Kypiq wouldn’t wear something that a Brudvir would wear. I would personally like some more information on the “Hard time getting to higher places”. Are we talking about in winter? Do the trees have more branches and it makes it more difficult to get to the top?

Vegetarians - Since the Kypiq rely on the forest creatures so much for survival a long time ago they gave up slaughtering the animals dwelling in their woods. This means however that due to their practices of not eating meat their bodies have a hard time processing it. This means that the Kypiq cannot draw the same amount of nutrients from it and find themselves full long before they have the energy to continue on with their day to day life if they only rely on meat as a source of food.

Perfectly fine with this as it ties in to their religion, it might pose some problem in the winter but it’s fine

Glass Jaw - The Kypiq's small forms while agile are much more delicate and have become far more susceptible to heavy impacts and stuns.

Fine with this, they're smaller and should be a lot more careful if they get caught they should suffer more damage

If you make Kypiq physically weaker give them more speed, their agility stats seem to be fine since they're the smallest. if I were to imagine a Kypiq in combat they wouldn't have as much reach (Since they're smaller and their weapon is smaller) so it would be fine to make them faster and more agile.

One final comment, people have been talking about the Dras's mounts a lot, can the Kypiq please have flying squirrels? That'll be so badass, Maybe they won't be fast on the open field but they're faster at climbing trees and can jump from tree to tree. lol.

Thanks for reading this long post.

6/21/2017 3:38:42 PM #1

Personally I'd wait until we see them in action before judging the balance. The Kypiq did seem a bit weak from the description, but that's all it was -- a description. We don't know exactly to what extent any of these traits will influence moment to moment gameplay.

Referral Code: 912EC9

6/21/2017 3:39:44 PM #2

Hard to say what is balanced or imbalanced until we really get in to test.

At first glance they seem like non-starters for pvp if they're going to be that slow with their stubby little legs, but really we dont know yet.

6/21/2017 3:41:15 PM #3

Something else worth mentioning.....

Further into the post, it says this...

Their unwillingness to kill has allowed them to gain the trust and faith of many a forest creature, leading them to be skilled animal tamers.

Bear in mind...the forests the Kypiq live in are so dangerous that, when they were still the Proto-Neran, it was enough to force them to live in the trees in order to not die.

So....the Kypiq are gifted tamers, living in an extremely dangerous forest. This means they are quite likely to end up taming some very dangerous creatures, and using them in combat. Kypiq may have a glass jaw, but the bear they just sicced on you most certainly does not.

Knowing what I can do isn’t the same thing as knowing what I can’t do.

6/21/2017 3:49:39 PM #4

+1 for a post that thoughtfully sees the Kypiq's very real competitive potential.

DPBoD2.jpg

6/21/2017 3:51:00 PM #5

Posted By guildsbounty at 11:41 AM - Wed Jun 21 2017

Their unwillingness to kill has allowed them to gain the trust and faith of many a forest creature, leading them to be skilled animal tamers.

Bear in mind...the forests the Kypiq live in are so dangerous that, when they were still the Proto-Neran, it was enough to force them to live in the trees in order to not die.

So....the Kypiq are gifted tamers, living in an extremely dangerous forest. This means they are quite likely to end up taming some very dangerous creatures, and using them in combat. Kypiq may have a glass jaw, but the bear they just sicced on you most certainly does not.

You may be right about that in their home biome. Perhaps, that will happen a lot more than expected. How about if a Kypiq travel to another biome, they won't have time to tame an animal - it might be too dangerous. I'm thinking of how a Kypiq would function outside of their own biome.

6/21/2017 3:55:51 PM #6

Posted By Orisoll at 11:38 AM - Wed Jun 21 2017

Personally I'd wait until we see them in action before judging the balance. The Kypiq did seem a bit weak from the description, but that's all it was -- a description. We don't know exactly to what extent any of these traits will influence moment to moment gameplay.

I certainly agree with you and hope we get more information soon. However, I can imagine they're weaknesses when I consider the other tribes; I genuinely want them to be balanced and it's good to have a discussion about it. I'm not just surviving/fighting against NPC's I'm competing against real life players. Pardon my language but how the fk am I suppose to fight/survive against a Brudvir/Hrothi empire.

Pretty difficult.

6/21/2017 3:58:42 PM #7

Posted By ElijahInDaFrey at 11:51 AM - Wed Jun 21 2017

You may be right about that in their home biome. Perhaps, that will happen a lot more than expected. How about if a Kypiq travel to another biome, they won't have time to tame an animal - it might be too dangerous. I'm thinking of how a Kypiq would function outside of their own biome.

I assume you mean 'travel to another biome to live there permanently.'

In that case, yes....they do lose a bit of their potential by being cut off from their animal beasties. However...here's an extension thought.

We know the Kypiq are very sneaky and very agile...this makes them good archers, especially in an ambush. And SBS has said that archery will be difficult to be good at (no auto-aim or auto-hit), but will be well worth the challenge. So, their potential skill in archery could make them very lethal.

Additionally, while everyone seems to focus on larger size = longer reach = can hit enemies from further away....people seem to neglect that since the game operates based on hitboxes, Kypiq are the smallest targets in the game. Yeah, if you hit them, it's not going to end well for them. But High Agi and small size together mean that they are most likely very good at dodging attacks. Again, this is something that will require player skill...but it's hard to hit a small target. Especially if they attack from a distance with their bows.

If you have two players of roughly equal skill...one playing a Kypiq, one playing a Janoa, both trying to shoot each other with bows....the Kypiq has the advantage because he's a smaller target, and the Janoa has to be the better archer in order to hit them.

6/21/2017 3:58:52 PM #8

If you put snakes in my tunnels, I will chop down those trees of yours!

Brash

6/21/2017 4:38:00 PM #9

Posted By guildsbounty at 11:58 AM - Wed Jun 21 2017

Posted By ElijahInDaFrey at 11:51 AM - Wed Jun 21 2017

I assume you mean 'travel to another biome to live there permanently.'

In that case, yes....they do lose a bit of their potential by being cut off from their animal beasties. However...here's an extension thought.

We know the Kypiq are very sneaky and very agile...this makes them good archers, especially in an ambush. And SBS has said that archery will be difficult to be good at (no auto-aim or auto-hit), but will be well worth the challenge. So, their potential skill in archery could make them very lethal.

Additionally, while everyone seems to focus on larger size = longer reach = can hit enemies from further away....people seem to neglect that since the game operates based on hitboxes, Kypiq are the smallest targets in the game. Yeah, if you hit them, it's not going to end well for them. But High Agi and small size together mean that they are most likely very good at dodging attacks. Again, this is something that will require player skill...but it's hard to hit a small target. Especially if they attack from a distance with their bows.

If you have two players of roughly equal skill...one playing a Kypiq, one playing a Janoa, both trying to shoot each other with bows....the Kypiq has the advantage because he's a smaller target, and the Janoa has to be the better archer in order to hit them.

Hopefully, the producers will clarify the mechanics of archery a bit more. But, don't you need strength to pull back the string - which, Kypiq lacks. Also, since they're smaller they won't have big bows which maybe means that their arrows won't go as far.

Do we assume agility gives more speed? Agility to me means reacting quickly in a small space; as you mentioned, ability to dodge faster. Which is fine, it makes sense from what you said. To me speed matter though, it allows (Ex, Janoa) to travel faster from point A to point B and get closer to the enemy/location, agility doesn't do that (Unless they're in trees, maybe).

In addition to the combat situation, consider that there are martial arts in the game or hand to hand combat. More information is needed but let's assume that Brudvir (Having longer legs that enables them to travel faster) would grab the Kypiq, what would the Kypiq do? Brudvir would bite the crap out of Kypiq (If that's allowed). Would agility make it easier to get away/escape a hold? What about animals that bite? How would the Kypiq compete if they're caught in the situation?

6/21/2017 5:12:31 PM #10

Posted By ElijahInDaFrey at

One final comment, people have been talking about the Dras's mounts a lot, can the Kypiq please have flying squirrels? That'll be so badass, Maybe they won't be fast on the open field but they're faster at climbing trees and can jump from tree to tree. lol.

Personally, as someone who wants to choose Kypiq, I think that flying squirrels would become redundant after a bit of research on, say, a glider. plus having flying squirrels would only add fuel to the flame of the derogatory term 'squirrel' for the Kypiq. I would want a newt or some form of cow sized chameleon for the Kypiq.

6/21/2017 5:21:07 PM #11

It's kind of pointless to talk about 'balancing' when we only have a thin slice of info to go off of.

Personally, Kypiq seem perfectly balanced to me. Every tribe has it's trade off. The Kypiq are weak, and won't be very effective outside of their home biome, true.

However, their kingdom/biome sounds like it will be super defensible against assault, and they are also going to be the best researchers and inventors out there. As an engineer in real life, this is very appealing to me, but maybe not enough for me decide to play them.

Let's also remember that they are exceptionally nimble, and will thus probably be one of the best tribes at parkour. That could be a lot of fun too. Others have pointed out that they will be great animal tamers as well.

It's not all a competition of combat. If they're fun to play, people will play them.

Anyway, suffice to say, stop worrying about 'balance' this early on, and just decide to play what sounds the most fun to you. I'm sure the Kypiq will appeal to many people, while not at all to others.

6/21/2017 5:29:01 PM #12

Posted By Torque at 1:21 PM - Wed Jun 21 2017

It's kind of pointless to talk about 'balancing' when we only have a thin slice of info to go off of.

Personally, Kypiq seem perfectly balanced to me. Every tribe has it's trade off. The Kypiq are weak, and won't be very effective outside of their home biome, true.

However, their kingdom/biome sounds like it will be super defensible against assault, and they are also going to be the best researchers and inventors out there. As an engineer in real life, this is very appealing to me, but maybe not enough for me decide to play them.

Let's also remember that they are exceptionally nimble, and will thus probably be one of the best tribes at parkour. That could be a lot of fun too. Others have pointed out that they will be great animal tamers as well.

It's not all a competition of combat. If they're fun to play, people will play them.

Anyway, suffice to say, stop worrying about 'balance' this early on, and just decide to play what sounds the most fun to you. I'm sure the Kypiq will appeal to many people, while not at all to others.

This is very true...high inventiveness means you start inventing Force Multipliers. And that generally trumps flat physical prowess. If you're small and weak compared to your enemies, but have vastly superior technology....well, you get Rome.

6/21/2017 5:40:34 PM #13

Posted By John Godly at 1:12 PM - Wed Jun 21 2017

Posted By ElijahInDaFrey at

Personally, as someone who wants to choose Kypiq, I think that flying squirrels would become redundant after a bit of research on, say, a glider. plus having flying squirrels would only add fuel to the flame of the derogatory term 'squirrel' for the Kypiq. I would want a newt or some form of cow sized chameleon for the Kypiq.

Yea, but how efficient would they be in forests??

6/21/2017 5:42:21 PM #14

Posted By Torque at 1:21 PM - Wed Jun 21 2017

Yea, makes sense, the thing is Kypiq do seem really fun to play but I don't want to get annihilated by a Brudvir x D.

6/21/2017 9:14:46 PM #15

Posted By ElijahInDaFrey at 10:42 AM - Wed Jun 21 2017

Yea, makes sense, the thing is Kypiq do seem really fun to play but I don't want to get annihilated by a Brudvir x D.

Understandable. But as I already said, this game is about far more than just combat. If you're concerned about playing the best tribe for PvP, I think it's obvious that the Janoa exceed all others.

But that doesn't mean other tribes aren't equally viable. If SbS does their job of creating interactive, skill based combat, than you'll just have to adapt. That big Brudvir with his battle axe might squish your Kypiq in one swing. But theoretically, you should be able to outrun him, scamper up a tree he can't climb, and shoot him with poisoned arrows.

It appears the Dras are one of the least combat oriented tribes so far, but it also sounds like they won't have any trouble with their own safety, as most people will die on their own in the swap, or from one cut from one of their poisoned blades.

Remember, CoE isn't going to have big battle grounds where every tribe/race/class has to be balanced and 'fair' when pitted directly against each other, like most other MMOs. This is a game of immersion and discovery. Even if your tribe naturally sucks at combat, you can be good if you work at it, and vice versa as well. And even if you suck at combat, you can stay in town, and have plenty to do there as well. Or be a merchant, make money and hire body guards for yourself. The possibilities are endless.

In conclusion, play the tribe that sounds the most fun to you, and whose culture matches your own disposition. Don't fret over which is the 'best' tribe, because there's no such thing.