COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Are professions limited by tribe?

OK, I seem to be getting mixed information from the various sources about the professions in the game. Each tribe writeup has a list of professions, but are they restricted to only those professions? Or is it that those are the most commonly practiced professions? I understand that there may be environmental and religious reasons why some professions may not be common for a tribe, but does that mean that all blacksmiths are Hrothi and all animal breeders are Brudvir? Could a Neran pick up the same skills? Or a Kypiq?

Countess of Tarnham

County Tarnham, Rhynelands Duchy, Vornair. Luna Server (NA-E)

6/21/2017 5:09:27 PM #1

I don't have a source for you, but I know from everything I've heard that all 'professions' will be available to every tribe. This isn't your traditional MMO where only certain races get to use certain abilities. CoE sets itself apart by being a game where you can do whatever you dream, even if it is sub-optimal.

I believe that was the point of the listed professions for each tribe. Those are what the tribes EXCEL at, but aren't exclusively limited to. And depending on what you choose, it could be very difficult.

For example, I'm sure you can play as a Dras, and try and be an animal trainer. But there may not be many trainable animals in the swap, so it might be very slow and difficult. Similarly, if you want to be a Hrothi carpenter, I'm sure you can, but you're going to have a very hard time getting lumber down into your home in the mines, and working on it. The listed professions are the most commonly found for those tribes, because of the natural resources available around them. But by all means, break the norm! Set up trade routes to get the resources you need into the biome you're in!

6/21/2017 5:16:59 PM #2

Posted By Torque at 1:09 PM - Wed Jun 21 2017

I don't have a source for you, but I know from everything I've heard that all 'professions' will be available to every tribe. This isn't your traditional MMO where only certain races get to use certain abilities. CoE sets itself apart by being a game where you can do whatever you dream, even if it is sub-optimal.

I believe that was the point of the listed professions for each tribe. Those are what the tribes EXCEL at, but aren't exclusively limited to. And depending on what you choose, it could be very difficult.

For example, I'm sure you can play as a Dras, and try and be an animal trainer. But there may not be many trainable animals in the swap, so it might be very slow and difficult. Similarly, if you want to be a Hrothi carpenter, I'm sure you can, but you're going to have a very hard time getting lumber down into your home in the mines, and working on it.

^That. That is correct.

Tribes have certain predilections and things that they are culturally known for and may have a talent for, but nothing is limited by tribe. Certainly not profession.

If nothing else...consider this. Most of the Kingdoms are composed of a single tribe. If, say, the Dras were incapable of becoming Scribes (that isn't on their list of professions), then how would they ever make advanced contracts to create laws within their kingdom?

Knowing what I can do isn’t the same thing as knowing what I can’t do.