COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Brain Storm: Religioun/Storyline (faedin)

Now that Caspian has released some info on the the tribe religions, i had a suggestion in mind. For tribes linked to the faedin, each different tribe of faedin (ie kypiq/brudvir/janoa) should serve different gods/goddesses.

Mother Fae (fae arch spirit of the petal)🌺: This is the faedin goddess of the kypiq. Nurturing, gentle and kind, she is the one who protects the forests and all living creatures that dwell within it.

Fae Wolf (fae arch spirit of the wolf)🐺: This is the faedin god of the brudvir. Powerful, dominant and brave, he is the god that leads and unites his followers, respecting the animals he consumes.

Fae Ablunda (fea arch spirit of the tiger)👹: This is the faedin goddess of the janoa. wild, fierce and insatiable, she is the goddess that demands more power. She commands her followers to hunt all those who challenge her power.

Now i suggest that all player residents of fae tribes should be given religious quests (not just faedin, all tribes). Completing these religious quests would give you story points and special rewards like one-of-a-kind emotes.👾

For example, completing a faedin quest of a janoa would give him/her a special dance that the janoa can perform that no other tribe can. Or maybe certain blueprints can be made to build sanctuaries/churches/mystical stone ruins etc.⛪

For the kypiq, an example quest could be something like this:

Protect the goddess' sanctuary-For the next month, prevent all trees within your biome from being cut down by a player.😉

Then for brudvir:

Assemble the sacred wood-Cut 10 Oak trees and bring it to a master tier brudvir shaman/place it upon the fae wolf altar.😮

For janoa:

Squirrel hunting-Each time you cdg a kypiq, a nail will fall from its body. Hang 10 nails on your trophy tree.😝

Now let us assume that oak trees can only be found on kypiq boimes. This would cause a kind of conflict that would be very entertaining to complete as this would be a challenge for the tribes involved to complete.

These quests would force player interaction, which is what would make chronicles of elyria that much greater!!! in my opinion of course 😀

Note these are just ideas. I would like to see what you guys think! 😊

Yours Sincerely, Verde the Zealous Kypiq

6/22/2017 12:57:07 PM #1

I can see this: Religious quests should absolutely be a thing, but for Jonoans, I think they aught have something different. I realize the idea is that it will incentivize conflict between them and the kypiq, however, I would say it needs to be a step up. Rather than just "A kypiq" I would suggest it be "A moshkin." These are, after all, fierce warriors, far more fitting of the Jonoan Hunt.

Outside of that, I think that Brudvir could have a couple different ones-- the tree one, okay, sure. But also, perhaps "slay a wolf den, and raise the wolven children- allow the elders to pass onto the next life, and raise their young in their stead."

Kypiqs... would be far more difficult. One can't protect the entire biome, on their own, so you'd really have to do that as a group effort, which while fitting for the kypiq, would also prevent players from reaching them if they come in late, or aren't available when other kypiqs do that mission.

Perhaps, you could also have one like: Collect foods to get through the winter, and leave it in the temple" and that would not only allow you to get spiritual actualization, but also it would provide food for your community.

kypiq

6/22/2017 3:47:17 PM #2

I certainly hope religious quests, contracts etc. are a thing, it would make for a great mechanic.

Made more interesting for the tribes we won't see at launch, do the agnostic or atheist tribes get similar quests, from some "thing"?

I don't think they'll be serving a different goddess from what we know so far, they just interpret their religions differently. But your ideas sound great!

6/22/2017 4:27:56 PM #3

Posted By Vilucide at 4:47 PM - Thu Jun 22 2017

I certainly hope religious quests, contracts etc. are a thing, it would make for a great mechanic.

Made more interesting for the tribes we won't see at launch, do the agnostic or atheist tribes get similar quests, from some "thing"?

I don't think they'll be serving a different goddess from what we know so far, they just interpret their religions differently. But your ideas sound great!

I think Caspian did say that all tribes will follow a religion. (if im not mistaken)

You make a great point. Maybe Caspian should add skill/profession called zealot/shaman/priest etc. The player that is assigning the religious contracts to other players can gain exp on the skill if the player completes the quest/contract. As the skill of the shaman increases, so does the contract instructions (the clause of the contract will be very specific). Of course, a scribe will have to forge the manuscript for you first. This could potentially create further player interaction. Great input. 😀

6/22/2017 4:35:40 PM #4

Posted By Vilucide at 4:47 PM - Thu Jun 22 2017

I think Caspian did say that all tribes will follow a religion. (if im not mistaken)

You make a great point. Maybe Caspian should add skill/profession called zealot/shaman/priest etc. The player that is assigning the religious contracts to other players can gain exp on the skill if the player completes the quest/contract. As the skill of the shaman increases, so does the contract instructions (the clause of the contract will be very specific). Of course, a scribe will have to forge the manuscript for you first. This could potentially create further player interaction. Great input. 😀Posted By Chloet at 1:57 PM - Thu Jun 22 2017

I can see this: Religious quests should absolutely be a thing, but for Jonoans, I think they aught have something different. I realize the idea is that it will incentivize conflict between them and the kypiq, however, I would say it needs to be a step up. Rather than just "A kypiq" I would suggest it be "A moshkin." These are, after all, fierce warriors, far more fitting of the Jonoan Hunt.

Outside of that, I think that Brudvir could have a couple different ones-- the tree one, okay, sure. But also, perhaps "slay a wolf den, and raise the wolven children- allow the elders to pass onto the next life, and raise their young in their stead."

Kypiqs... would be far more difficult. One can't protect the entire biome, on their own, so you'd really have to do that as a group effort, which while fitting for the kypiq, would also prevent players from reaching them if they come in late, or aren't available when other kypiqs do that mission.

Perhaps, you could also have one like: Collect foods to get through the winter, and leave it in the temple" and that would not only allow you to get spiritual actualization, but also it would provide food for your community.

fantastic ideas! i love the moshkin suggestion. Makes the mission even more of a challenge. Slay a wolf den? I thought the brudvir were wolves on the inside. wouldnt that be like betrayal lol. i also really like you kypiq ideas. the main point of my original post is to, like you said, incentivize confluct with the players. Making the game interesting. I bet Caspian has somesick ideas planned for us already but i just wanted to give my view on religion playing a major role in elyria. 😊

6/22/2017 4:46:59 PM #5

I like the idea of receiving quests for a religious purpose; it gives a reason for religions to exist in game. However, the dev's mentioned that, like in the real world, religion in CoE is mainly about belief. So if there are quests like this, I doubt there will be any direct/observable benefits like we would see in other games; with the exception of whatever the quest giver is offering of course. Also all "quests" will be player given. Therefore I would consider the OP's suggestions along the lines of "world events".

That being said, if the dev's want players to actively use the religion system I'm sure there will be some incentive. I just don't think it will be incredibly obvious.

P.S. Referring to the OP, for the Faedin religion specifically, I think it would be more thematically correct to refer to them as "Great Spirits" rather than "Gods", but that's my personal opinion

It's okay to make mistakes. At least...that's what everyone keeps telling me.

6/22/2017 10:57:17 PM #6

Posted By Varawic at 5:46 PM - Thu Jun 22 2017

I like the idea of receiving quests for a religious purpose; it gives a reason for religions to exist in game. However, the dev's mentioned that, like in the real world, religion in CoE is mainly about belief. So if there are quests like this, I doubt there will be any direct/observable benefits like we would see in other games; with the exception of whatever the quest giver is offering of course. Also all "quests" will be player given. Therefore I would consider the OP's suggestions along the lines of "world events".

That being said, if the dev's want players to actively use the religion system I'm sure there will be some incentive. I just don't think it will be incredibly obvious.

P.S. Referring to the OP, for the Faedin religion specifically, I think it would be more thematically correct to refer to them as "Great Spirits" rather than "Gods", but that's my personal opinion

Yeh you are right, they should be called spirits as the faedin does emphasis spirit theology quite strongly.

6/23/2017 3:56:09 AM #7

Yeah, verde they do view themselves as wolves, but they believe that death leads way to a chance to become Mann, so killing a wolf will allow them to move onward to that path. As they believe wolfs become brudvir, it would be a spiritual means for them to, essentially, bring them into their tribe. Sure, it's a bit harsh. But hey, noone said the dogs are the most caring of tribes ;P

kypiq