COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
RP Seneschals (for the Non-RP Ruler)

What this thread is Not about:

• An RP-only server
  • Non-RPers changing their CoE game to suit RPers
  • RPers changing their CoE game to suit Non-RPers
  • Why RP or RPers suck
  • Why strictly PvP or Non-RPers suck

If any of these sound like a fun topic to you, create your own thread and have at it.

Any of it is Off-topic on THIS thread.

So what IS this thread about?

A strategy for Monarchs and their nobles to maximize recruitment of the entire game-style spectrum, without changing their own.

Most monarchs are not heavy RPer themselves. For them, CoE is already a challenging, time consuming, and socially exhausting strategy game. Even if they could find the time, many are averse to RP. They're entitled! For the money they've spent, they shouldn't have to if they don't wish. In fact, this pitch is for you.

Even if you monarchs aren't RPers, most of you are sharp enough to know you don't want to repel RPers from your Kingdom. Game enthusiasm is the irreplaceable commodity you want more of than the next guy. Because that's in-game skill, economic productivity, and civil defense we're talking about, just like any other player brings to the table. Even the most hyper-focused PvP ruler knows that's a critical war machine asset, even if the RPers aren't the tip-of-the-spear in your strategy game.

So what do most Kingdoms have now? Some mix of realms and cities identifying themselves as some degree of "RP friendly," ranging from 'All-In' to 'Naah, not-so-much.'

While this widespread tact does hope to attract a good base of each type of player, it has some critical faults:

1) Following land selection, Non-RPers will be sacrificing strategic importance in their geographic selection to avoid the 'RP' locales.

2) RPers will still be frustrated by their choices: even if they pick an RP County, their game experience isn't reliable once their character 'graduates' from County level settings to the Duchy and Kingdom beyond. The RPer who wants an assurance of RP in a Royal Court still must pledge to an RP Kingdom.

We can all do better, so everyone can glide around each other in EVERY realm without incompatible playstyles affecting each other. Just like your Discord Server has an RP channel to keep those kids happy without cluttering up your business...so can your CoE In-Game Kingdom.

Have an "RP Seneschal" at every level of your government.

If you don't want to spend your game time RPing, maybe your Royal Spouse does...or one of the Princes/Princesses....or a trusted minister.

For RP purposes only, this character represents the power of your office by proxy. He or she doesn't make your decisions for you. They just RP their character to your Kingdom's RPers as if they're the gate to your Royal Highness' ear & repeat your public positions with theatrical flourish in your absence. All your highest officers can have their own 'RP aide' to do the same. None of you have to show up for improv theatre, yet your RPers will be ecstatic anyway. None of what these 'RP Seneschals' say or do carries any weight until you confirm in your usual Discord fashion.

What does this managerial policy fix?

1. You have maximized your RP player recruitment without adding to your game commitments of time or effort.

2. RP in your Kingdom remains just as invisible to you as you always wanted it to be. It's not cluttering up your down-to-business communication channels.

3. Non-RPers in your Kingdom are equally unaffected, they don't have to set foot in any of the in-game RP courts to listen to all the Shakespeare.

4. By you and your dukes & counts adopting this strategy, RPers are still attracted to set up shop in your realm, knowing their RP game awaits them in the noble courts as well as your own--and you have incentivized the loyalty of passionate gamers in preserving & defending that environment.

5. You have a useful government official representing and simplifying a broad chunk of your citizenry--an "RP community chief of staff" if you will.

Many of you already have several pieces of this strategy in place. Put on the last link of the chain. When you and your non-RP nobles assign an RP Seneschal, you just became a lot more competitive in the player recruitment race. RPers don't have to pine for an RP server, and your ties with your own power base become fundamentally--and strategically--stronger.

DPBoD2.jpg

6/23/2017 11:20:48 PM #1

Interesting food for thought, but when you say to have on on every level of government, does this include a plethora of counties? If so, that's quite a few positions available.

6/23/2017 11:26:00 PM #2

It would be!

Yet I bet it's hard to find a Count who doesn't have someone already pop into their head for the job as soon as they read this.

(And that someone can keep RP off their plate so they can get back to their spreadsheets and business meetings.)

DPBoD2.jpg

6/23/2017 11:35:25 PM #3

This is 100% accurate, and why since the start Vornair has had the #TeamCulture portion of the High Council who are the Kingdom level representatives of everything RP folks need as well as the mechanics that go along with them. I can say with total confidence that your post is completely on point. Well said.

However I would disagree, there are quite a few Monarchs (not me) who are RP focused, especially on the NA-W server. I would suggest a similar post regarding those RP focused Monarchs not chasing off or scaring of the non-RP oriented folks by ensuring they have min-maxing, theorycrafting, meta-gaming subject matter expert positions at every level of government to ensure that they have the structure, framework, and support the non-RPers need to be content and successful as well as your Kingdom having those folks is essential (IMO) to the success of a community.

"Pledged to the betterment of the Studio and CoE through realistic, open, honest communication about what players can and will do with the mechanics you give them."

Come follow me on Twitch for CoE News and general hangout stuff n things! https://www.twitch.tv/adamrhyne

6/23/2017 11:42:07 PM #4

Thanks, Adam!

I think the system could work both ways, exactly like you said! I couldn't begin to tell you about Blackheart's inner strategic workings, but they could theoretically bifurcate the OOC "shop talk" from RP fun and attract some more prose-phobic talent into their brain trust.

(Those Blackhearts are a pretty sharp bunch, though...I wouldn't be surprised if they've got this ironed out already.)

I wasn't aware of #TeamCulture! Will have to pay a visit!

DPBoD2.jpg

6/24/2017 12:18:56 AM #5

Maybe a tag to identify RP settlements by SBS or us as the community. I plan on RP the whole game each and every day. Just need my biome and tribe to get it setup now.

+1 nice post OP

6/24/2017 1:00:27 PM #6

Thanks Iccubus,

(If it wasn't already easy to tell,) I'm like you--will be RPing every last Elyrian down to the dying, gurgling sounds.

What this system ideally accomplishes is that every city can be an RP city. Even if the mayor or Baron is an Non-RPer, they can appoint someone to be their RP Seneschal, too.

RPers become a loyal part of his or her local economy, yet s/he won't have even have to look away from their spreadsheet! (...and what their spreadsheet says is now a higher population and stronger economy.)

DPBoD2.jpg

6/24/2017 2:31:40 PM #7

I love this idea, Ecir! I appreciate your always looking out for the RPers! I personally think it is great to have an appointed position that can help oversee the RP and events and help lead a team to get that taken care of far and wide.

Sha'harizi County - Capital City of Ah'wena - Countess Aria - Kitlandria!

6/24/2017 3:27:28 PM #8

When Launch happens I want new Players to come into my settlement and have a feel they are walking back in time to a period long gone in history. All my effort will be to making Elyria fun for everyone entering CoE.

Merchants entering the town, to people gathering at the local tavern, I guess at times I might be the DM trying to make everything just perfect. Forcing story to happen within the community by taking risks and arranging events that will help people feel more comfortable doing RP. We created alot of different story's and events role-playing doing SWG, the community was great. Hoping we get some tools to help make RP even more enjoyable in CoE.

6/24/2017 3:28:04 PM #9

The RP Seneschal person doesn't even really need to have a position that is labeled as such. They can have a more functional role and being a person that loves RP, they can then push RP.

I do agree that Monarchs would be wise to appoint persons within their realm that do appreciate RP because RPers might tend to stick around longer when the going gets tough in an area due to their experiences and memories of the past in that area.

6/24/2017 6:14:04 PM #10

Well thought out post, and great insight. I enjoy the occasiaonal RP, and while Riftwood doesn't have an RP focus, I encourage the play style.

I have no issues with having an alt I can RP as the "King's Secretary" or "Emissary" to facilitate the RPers of Riftwood. Perhaps even open a position up on the Monarch and Duchy level to another player.

6/25/2017 2:25:43 AM #11

You guys are on it! Titles and roles can be customized to suit, exactly like y'all suggest. It is your Kingdom after all, so the implementation is yours to customize and perfect as you go!

Posted By Kitlandria at 09:31 AM - Sat Jun 24 2017

I love this idea, Ecir! I appreciate your always looking out for the RPers! I personally think it is great to have an appointed position that can help oversee the RP and events and help lead a team to get that taken care of far and wide.

Thanks Kit! I think PvPers come out ahead, too. If they didn't, then the idea couldn't begin to work.

RPers or Non-RPers, our three-legged race is the economic one. I think the most successful Kingdoms will be those that understand and take full advantage of the symbiosis. The deeper economic cohesion (by eliminating the waste of 'game style migration') will be worth the very minimal attention required to manage an RP Czar.

I think ID is right, too. It's a small investment to make to generate a lot of loyalty...which pays dividends in uncountable ways.

(I definitely want to visit Iccubus' town...I've heard good things about one of the pubs....)

DPBoD2.jpg

6/26/2017 11:57:17 PM #12

Symbiosys

DPBoD2.jpg

6/27/2017 1:07:15 AM #13

I really like this idea. Not only does it keep everyone happy, but it's just good leadership.

As a monarch, you have to take into account that the RPers are likely to be the driving force of your economy. They'll be your farmers, your blacksmiths, your animal breeders. All the jobs that non-RPers would likely find boring, are what your RPers are likely to be doing. It only makes sense to accommodate to them, especially so when it comes to no expense of yourself.

I think the best idea, would be if you had a friend from real life or the forums, someone you trust, who enjoys RP but also understands your position. Invite said person to your court, to sit in on any meetings and to keep up to date on your affairs. Extra bonus points if this person rules a county, as you could direct RPers to his county too.

The common folk aren't going to have a direct line to the king, this is true of RPers and non-RPers alike. If you had a RPer count, who you put the RPers under, it'd likely become a huge trade hub for your kingdom, which is a massive bonus for you, while also keep a large part of your populace happy and attracting craftsman from other areas.

Choosing a friend to do this, that understands your role would be beneficial, as he would understand that you're not a RPer yourself, so wouldn't attempt to intermingle you with it or waste to much of your time when in meetings etc and only bring up what's required.

I do some light RP myself, nothing too heavy though. I personally find it's almost impossible to do when totally surrounded by Non-RPers, which is why it may be best to elect a RP count and direct RP members there. Lots of RP minded people together will maximise their playability while you sit on your throne profiting from it like the evil dictator you were born to be.

6/27/2017 1:36:58 AM #14

@Ecir_Edyah

Reading this per your request. While this is interesting to some, I can assure you a group like UDL would not begin to entertain something like this.

-Not looking to boost ranks with typical RPrs
-Not looking to place a RPr Seneschal into a position

There are places in CoE for the typical RPr, and within UDL lands is usually not one of them.

We are more interested in dislodging your soul from your mortal tomb. Can you RP that? If so, contact me.

UDL

6/27/2017 1:55:45 AM #15

Thanks Panzer!

Yeah, I didn't figure you guys for doing this yourselves, lol.

My question was meant to be more along the lines of: if this sort of system was going on in the background of your greater Kingdom, would any of it be getting in your way?

Posted By Zantonny at 8:07 PM - Mon Jun 26 2017

The common folk aren't going to have a direct line to the king, this is true of RPers and non-RPers alike. If you had a RPer count, who you put the RPers under, it'd likely become a huge trade hub for your kingdom, which is a massive bonus for you, while also keep a large part of your populace happy and attracting craftsman from other areas.

My fault for not asking the question more clearly:

100% clear you wouldn't be organizing RP culture within your group (--never would have imagined it, frankly.)

Let's say it was in play elsewhere in the Kingdom you chose. Do you see any downsides preventing (or even jamming up) a group like yours playing the game you guys play?

If not, what do you think of the premise that the added population growth to the kingdom strengthened the economy and therefore the production capacity of the war machine?

DPBoD2.jpg