COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
RP Seneschals (for the Non-RP Ruler)

What this thread is Not about:

• An RP-only server
  • Non-RPers changing their CoE game to suit RPers
  • RPers changing their CoE game to suit Non-RPers
  • Why RP or RPers suck
  • Why strictly PvP or Non-RPers suck

If any of these sound like a fun topic to you, create your own thread and have at it.

Any of it is Off-topic on THIS thread.

So what IS this thread about?

A strategy for Monarchs and their nobles to maximize recruitment of the entire game-style spectrum, without changing their own.

Most monarchs are not heavy RPer themselves. For them, CoE is already a challenging, time consuming, and socially exhausting strategy game. Even if they could find the time, many are averse to RP. They're entitled! For the money they've spent, they shouldn't have to if they don't wish. In fact, this pitch is for you.

Even if you monarchs aren't RPers, most of you are sharp enough to know you don't want to repel RPers from your Kingdom. Game enthusiasm is the irreplaceable commodity you want more of than the next guy. Because that's in-game skill, economic productivity, and civil defense we're talking about, just like any other player brings to the table. Even the most hyper-focused PvP ruler knows that's a critical war machine asset, even if the RPers aren't the tip-of-the-spear in your strategy game.

So what do most Kingdoms have now? Some mix of realms and cities identifying themselves as some degree of "RP friendly," ranging from 'All-In' to 'Naah, not-so-much.'

While this widespread tact does hope to attract a good base of each type of player, it has some critical faults:

1) Following land selection, Non-RPers will be sacrificing strategic importance in their geographic selection to avoid the 'RP' locales.

2) RPers will still be frustrated by their choices: even if they pick an RP County, their game experience isn't reliable once their character 'graduates' from County level settings to the Duchy and Kingdom beyond. The RPer who wants an assurance of RP in a Royal Court still must pledge to an RP Kingdom.

We can all do better, so everyone can glide around each other in EVERY realm without incompatible playstyles affecting each other. Just like your Discord Server has an RP channel to keep those kids happy without cluttering up your business...so can your CoE In-Game Kingdom.

Have an "RP Seneschal" at every level of your government.

If you don't want to spend your game time RPing, maybe your Royal Spouse does...or one of the Princes/Princesses....or a trusted minister.

For RP purposes only, this character represents the power of your office by proxy. He or she doesn't make your decisions for you. They just RP their character to your Kingdom's RPers as if they're the gate to your Royal Highness' ear & repeat your public positions with theatrical flourish in your absence. All your highest officers can have their own 'RP aide' to do the same. None of you have to show up for improv theatre, yet your RPers will be ecstatic anyway. None of what these 'RP Seneschals' say or do carries any weight until you confirm in your usual Discord fashion.

What does this managerial policy fix?

1. You have maximized your RP player recruitment without adding to your game commitments of time or effort.

2. RP in your Kingdom remains just as invisible to you as you always wanted it to be. It's not cluttering up your down-to-business communication channels.

3. Non-RPers in your Kingdom are equally unaffected, they don't have to set foot in any of the in-game RP courts to listen to all the Shakespeare.

4. By you and your dukes & counts adopting this strategy, RPers are still attracted to set up shop in your realm, knowing their RP game awaits them in the noble courts as well as your own--and you have incentivized the loyalty of passionate gamers in preserving & defending that environment.

5. You have a useful government official representing and simplifying a broad chunk of your citizenry--an "RP community chief of staff" if you will.

Many of you already have several pieces of this strategy in place. Put on the last link of the chain. When you and your non-RP nobles assign an RP Seneschal, you just became a lot more competitive in the player recruitment race. RPers don't have to pine for an RP server, and your ties with your own power base become fundamentally--and strategically--stronger.

DPBoD2.jpg

6/27/2017 1:56:04 AM #16

What noble ranking is the highest UDL?

6/27/2017 2:31:22 AM #17

Great question, ID!

I'm unaware of any of the PvP guilds launching with more than combo-counties. (Any PvP guilds out there led by a Duke?)

Theoretically, they could assign RP Seneschals within their guild territory. But I think of the PvP guilds as military units on 'bases' and 'staging grounds' with specialized recruitment needs. Their specific territories are for colonized game play. If they saw using this system themselves for a positive productivity boon inside their industrial centers, I'd believe them. If they say it messes up their recruiting and organizational culture, I'd believe that too.

Either way, the idea of this compartmentalized RPing going on outside their areas of operation shouldn't be getting in their way--unless there's something I haven't thought of yet.

Can any of you potentially affected PvPers spot any problems I missed?

DPBoD2.jpg

6/27/2017 3:53:34 AM #18

A lot of anti-RP PvPers will end up doing the bidding of some high ranking nobility that pay for them or have more power than them. Who knows, that monarch might have an RP Seneschal by his/her side.

I don't dislike groups like UDL. They will bring a whole lot of conflict and turbulence as well as make everyone have to learn tactics and strategies instead of just sitting around and Rping. Their RP is all natural.

6/27/2017 4:39:56 AM #19

Posted By 1mmaculateDeception at 9:56 PM - Mon Jun 26 2017

What noble ranking is the highest UDL?

We have counties. One member may go Duke, but I am not sure it is in our best interest at the moment.

UDL

6/28/2017 2:40:21 AM #20

I think it's a great idea. Any large community that is made of a conglomerate of different players, different groups, and MANY different agendas, like CoE Kingdoms NEEDS to be able to have some form of support for every niche within their community/kingdom. From my perspective, as a hardcore pvp'er for 10+yrs, and as someone who has never participated in RP, is that the only time that RP'ing can be a hindrance to the effectiveness of a unit is during PvP battles, when certain levels of RP prevents proper/speedy calling of tactics and coordination. This is not ALWAYS an issue, but it is a main issue with those that take it to the extreme.

Beyond that, I actually find that RP'ers are very beneficial to a community like the CoE kingdoms, because they tend to do tasks that knuckleheads like myself aren't adept at. In CoE it'll be the RP'ers that are likely taking the lead in the contracts/laws, running of well-rounded settlements, keeping trade routes clean, keeping animals from not being overly hunted to extinction, farming, and generally most of the crafting aspects. Sure there will be RP'ers that PvP, but they tend to be best at running the show and keeping the day-to-day tasks completed adequately. RP'ers in CoE will also be important because most of the world will be built off the stories they tell.

I think that any group that doesnt assign a leason to RP'rs is crippling a portion of their playerbase, which cripples the community as a whole. It very well may be likely that I'll have to do some RP in CoE in order to get certain things done, cuz there may be factions that will stonewall all other forms of communication. i hope that's not the case, but I've seen similar things in other games. CoE seems to be built around making a very intriguing and in-depth RP experience for those who enjoy it, so I expect that the likeliness of us running into it and dealing with it to be rather high

I can't speak for Kairos (though I have recently... lmao) but Apollo isn't against RP. We just tend to not attract RP'ers. Most of us aren't into it, though some tend to dabble more than most. Like myself, most of my guild will only RP if we HAVE to in order to get something done with another group, though we will likely grumble about it in private.

Kairos as a Kingdom is more open to RP, though I think that Apollo and other major PvP groups making a strong presence within the Kingdom has turned many RP'ers away from Kairos, as we are looked at as one of the least RP-friendly kingdom. We aren't RP hostile, we just don't have as strong of an RP playerbase as some other kingdoms. (it is growing though)

UDL (undead lords) are a 15-20yr RP-PvP guild though. They're guild is built around being servants of the god Myrkal, Their presence within Kairos has drawn a few more RP'ers than before.

6/28/2017 2:50:31 AM #21

Thank you Kayadine!

(I wasn't gonna be the one to tell Panzer that he was RPer extraordinaire! Folks I know are lining up around the block for the chance to have their soul sucked out of their mortal tomb!)

Seriously, thank you for such a thoughtful post! I really appreciate the time and effort--it means a lot. I think we're on the same page, and yeah, so much depends on smoothing personalities around each other, no matter what label they wear. (PvPer catch a lot of flack for "griefing," but we RPers can be just as noxious and insufferable as anybody.)

...and you're on to me. I figured if this idea could sell in Kairos, it could probably sell anywhere. If it isn't benign for PvP guilds, then it just won't work at all. So please chime in if at any time you spot a complication.

Let's see, that's two PvP guilds from Kairos, who else we got?

DPBoD2.jpg

6/28/2017 10:08:25 AM #22

You know, as per, you've brought up an interesting topic. While i'm not generally an RP'er, I have done it once or twice in other games. I haven't actually thought about my intent for CoE yet.... but I will now. I'm curious if you know SBS's intentions for in-game communication mechanics? I know there will be a chat box as they've stated that tribes will have languages.

I'm curious though on how far that extends? Is it a local chat (say/yell) with a tab to select what language you are typing in. Is there a county chat tab? Kingdom? Trade channel? Will there be a local speech ability similar to Ark that can only be heard in a certain distance (I imagine that could get pretty congested in a city). Will there be in-game voice channels for guilds etc?

I really do like the points you made regarding mashing rp'ers together with non-rp'ers. I think the communication mechanics are going to have a big impact and I'm quite curious to find out now. (LOL) I know that whatever the options, I already plan to speak Kypiq and giggle in front of every Brudvir I see!

6/28/2017 7:49:48 PM #23

Posted By Kayadine at 8:40 PM - Tue Jun 27 2017

I think it's a great idea. Any large community that is made of a conglomerate of different players, different groups, and MANY different agendas, like CoE Kingdoms NEEDS to be able to have some form of support for every niche within their community/kingdom. From my perspective, as a hardcore pvp'er for 10+yrs, and as someone who has never participated in RP, is that the only time that RP'ing can be a hindrance to the effectiveness of a unit is during PvP battles, when certain levels of RP prevents proper/speedy calling of tactics and coordination. This is not ALWAYS an issue, but it is a main issue with those that take it to the extreme.

Beyond that, I actually find that RP'ers are very beneficial to a community like the CoE kingdoms, because they tend to do tasks that knuckleheads like myself aren't adept at. In CoE it'll be the RP'ers that are likely taking the lead in the contracts/laws, running of well-rounded settlements, keeping trade routes clean, keeping animals from not being overly hunted to extinction, farming, and generally most of the crafting aspects. Sure there will be RP'ers that PvP, but they tend to be best at running the show and keeping the day-to-day tasks completed adequately. RP'ers in CoE will also be important because most of the world will be built off the stories they tell.

I think that any group that doesnt assign a leason to RP'rs is crippling a portion of their playerbase, which cripples the community as a whole. It very well may be likely that I'll have to do some RP in CoE in order to get certain things done, cuz there may be factions that will stonewall all other forms of communication. i hope that's not the case, but I've seen similar things in other games. CoE seems to be built around making a very intriguing and in-depth RP experience for those who enjoy it, so I expect that the likeliness of us running into it and dealing with it to be rather high

I can't speak for Kairos (though I have recently... lmao) but Apollo isn't against RP. We just tend to not attract RP'ers. Most of us aren't into it, though some tend to dabble more than most. Like myself, most of my guild will only RP if we HAVE to in order to get something done with another group, though we will likely grumble about it in private.

Kairos as a Kingdom is more open to RP, though I think that Apollo and other major PvP groups making a strong presence within the Kingdom has turned many RP'ers away from Kairos, as we are looked at as one of the least RP-friendly kingdom. We aren't RP hostile, we just don't have as strong of an RP playerbase as some other kingdoms. (it is growing though)

UDL (undead lords) are a 15-20yr RP-PvP guild though. They're guild is built around being servants of the god Myrkal, Their presence within Kairos has drawn a few more RP'ers than before.

You are right on the money. As one of the big Rpers in Kairos, I try to lure others in to create a group for them. We aren't against it, yet open to it. If large enough gathered, we can create a safe space for them within the kingdom of Kairos.

I am more than willing to help others learn about what it is like to RP or how to RP if they come to ask me, I can lead a group of people who are new to it learn about how to RP hands on. It is how I learned. You RP through with others who are experienced, you find your niche of RP style. Of course, there are other RPers who are really impatient and not willing take to the time to each new Rpers into it.

Then again, as I am on the sub council of Director Public Affairs, I will rp my way around kingdoms as I have before the tribes, before the server announcements. Yes, I will definitely RP in game, much as possible, I know how to work with others who do not RP. Of course there are rules for it. Anyways, Kairos are receptive to RPers like myself! Hopefully it will be adapted to them in the mean time.

"What you see is temporal and what you don't see is eternal."

7/2/2017 8:40:03 PM #24

It's something that will work for others but RPers hanging around tends to get us quite murderous.

I'll be back when I see mechanics

7/2/2017 11:20:03 PM #25

I don't know where you got the idea that most Monarchs are anti-RP, because just about every kingdom I've seen has made some effort in roleplaying.

The difference is these kings and queens aren't totally immersed, and for good reason. Any kingdom that doesn't metagame the most knowledge possible is just asking to be smacked. This game is going to be a weird combination of roleplay and meta, where both are virtually indistinguishable from each other. The term 'cheesing' comes to mind when playing both the Dance of Dynasties and CKII.

7/3/2017 1:12:27 PM #26

Posted By Lo-Taren at 3:40 PM - Sun Jul 02 2017

It's something that will work for others but RPers hanging around tends to get us quite murderous.

Thank you kindly, Lo-Taren! Like the other PvP guilds, trying to ask you guys to implement something like this would be 'Non-RPers changing their game to suit RPers.' That's 100% not what we're talking about. (Not to say some of us wouldn't relish a fitting end to our character via 'Death by Leviathan.' Until then, though, my RP will be to run when I see you guys coming!)

I'll assume that if this idea is being implemented in the greater kingdom outside of your territorial assets, it won't matter to your game. If I'm wrong, and you spot something objectionable, I truly want to hear it. Especially from the point of view of an important military asset of your kingdom.

Posted By mickdude2 at 6:20 PM - Sun Jul 02 2017

I don't know where you got the idea that most Monarchs are anti-RP, because just about every kingdom I've seen has made some effort in roleplaying.

The difference is these kings and queens aren't totally immersed, and for good reason. Any kingdom that doesn't metagame the most knowledge possible is just asking to be smacked. This game is going to be a weird combination of roleplay and meta, where both are virtually indistinguishable from each other. The term 'cheesing' comes to mind when playing both the Dance of Dynasties and CKII.

You bring up some good points, with so much of Elyria lore being a blank page so far. (I know I'm not RPing in this pre-game meta a fraction as much as I would be if more details were settled. No reason to think some of the Monarchs might feel they're in the same boat.)

Still, I think of my friends in Blackheart. To my observation, Queen Rowena RPs every ounce of meta. (Including being isolationist and reclusive.) They even handle scandalous meta-gaming on the forums in RP! (Any day her majesty acknowledges your existence is a warm, gooey thrill!)

Can we expect most CoE monarchs to compete with that? No, but every single CoE monarch knows a loyal ham who'd be perfect at doing it for them in-game. Then the Kingdom's political backdrop in the capital and the power of the throne itself becomes a character inside their RPers' game.

Then that monarch has the best of both worlds.

DPBoD2.jpg

7/6/2017 12:08:42 PM #27

FungiPlants.jpg

DPBoD2.jpg