COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Community Questions and Worries

I am hoping that upon this games full release I wont be joining alone, but bringing a relatively large community of people with me. In my preaching to them and discussions with them, here's a few questions and worries they have brought up and maybe some of you will be able to relate or answer.

1) The game is quite cheap (Price) and the business model being £30 roughly every year, that doesn't sound like a lot money. In respects that video games ARE a business, they're going to want to make money. Considering how little that'll net them per player in comparison to most other MMOs, what's the likelihood of a cash shop or P2W (Skill boosts, purchasable talents etc) shop popping up after a few months?

2) Similar to question 1, but when they realise they don't get much funding from the initial plan, what's the chance of them drasticly decreasing life expectancy (Or decay) in order to speed up the funding cycle? Or more to the point, what's restricting them?

3) A lot of the features put a lot of trust in players, with the number of trolls and griefers in games these days, how often will the game actually function properly, instead of just being an open world deathmatch where nothing has value unless you can kill a man with it?

4) How much will there ACTUALLY be to do when online. If you want to be a blacksmith, will it just be making swords, all day, every day, for a year?

5) How in depth of a feudal system is it going to be? Will it allow for bastard children to have claims to the throne, or abstract family members holding a valid casus belli if the title could have flown through them? Will all children of the King hold a claim to the throne, with the ability to attempt to overthrown to enforce said claim?

6) Wont the use of 3rd party Voice communication nullify the use of quite a few deviant skills? Aswell as catching anyone off guard being quite pointless as he'll have open lines of communication potentially with his entire kingdom.

This may get added too as we continue to discuss. But overall they do seem positive. I do oversell it however.

6/27/2017 10:26:08 AM #1

1 and 2 While I am not a fan of cash shops recent models that have taken form over the past few years are worth looking into for SBS.

Primarily skin based ones, akin to League of Legends and Warframe, have had monumental success. They only add to the customization experience. There is no harm to progression unless there are stats tied to the skins (there shouldn't be).

I cannot stress how much I'd love to see special armor packs for each of the tribes. That could be built upon with the blue print system. No stat change, just different materials for a different look. No harm or foul there.

Made note to poke/annoy Caspian for a workshop after the game has release for some player made skins by the community. It would be amazing for this game!

Haven't brought it up yet but I will.

Now exp boosts for skills would just ruin COEs economy out right. I hope those never exist to begin with. My two cents.

3 Do bad thing and get caught? Jail time, loss of play time? Seems to be a big enough deterrent. We can go back to question one and two for ways too speed up the funding cycle. If your characters life is shortened then you will have to buy a new one sooner.

4 We honestly can't really fathom this yet as we do not currently know the specifics, but we can look at all the slated profession to get a rough estimate. Plus there is pvp, exploration and dungeoneering?

5 I cant answer this faithfully. Hope we get a dev journal on the subject at some point.

6 Third party voice communication... You have no chance in winng the meta gamming war. Its going to happen regardless.

Sorry for grammatical errors my phone hates me. May fix later...

PS. This is my 100th post. Yay!

6/27/2017 10:31:54 AM #2

1&2) they're not here to make "roughly all the money" like most MMOs, so they aren't likely won't change it. No p2w, they're strongly opposed to that, and for risky players life expectancy is already at 3-6 months vs 1 year due to spiritloss.

3)the subject of griefing has been reviewed thoroughly recently. I'd recomend checking those threads as they go more indepth (they're also the two posts just below yours)

4) there's a lot to do. What you do is your choice. If you choose to be a blacksmith, noone will force you to do it every day.

5) an hier is chosen by the current ruler. In the absense of that each tribe has a different aspect of how to get claim to the throne. Bastards.. Won't reallt exist in game.

6) no more than any current game, but yes meta gaming will make certain aspects more difficult. To what degree varies some, but if player A sees me stealing x, player B can't report.it and if player B attacks me I can report them aswell. There is, however, no way to nulify the edge of meta gaming in this or really any game in existence.

Hope this helps :D

kypiq

6/27/2017 10:33:22 AM #3

Also on phone so grammer issues and back to work so can't fix

kypiq

6/27/2017 10:50:47 AM #4

A few things to keep in mind... this isn't a AAA themepark, it doesn't cost as much to develop or run as, say, SWTOR.

Also, they may not as much be getting less money, as moving around how/why they get money. In particular, two groups who (in many MMOs) on average end up spending more on the game are PVPers & altaholics -- both of whom will need more sparks than normal in CoE, they however will likely get more value out of the games playstyle.

Casual players on the other hand, who make up the bulk of any game, and who are essential to a sandbox, get play for cheap -US$30 for 9-12 months.

As for some of your specific questions...

3 - has been talked about a lot, we know what's been said, anything else between now and a live game is just speculation

4 - it looks likely that there'll be a lot of choice, however your ability to forge swords all day every day depends on an incoming flow of material + people willing to buy your swords -- the logistics either side of your forge don't just magically happen

5 - we don't know yet. It's possible that there may be a specific mechanic for illegitimate children claiming a title, but from what's been said the specifics of succession vary by tribe, so so could the laws around illegitimacy

6 - see every other game in existence. Multiple channels for communication exist. SBS can't force people to only use in game ones, so they recognise that people will be using Teamspeak, Discord, etc.

6/27/2017 11:00:37 AM #5

welcome mate and hope your commuity can join the game :).

most ur questions been ansawered as u can see we are quite fast here with that sort of thing.

but i will also make another note. regarding funding.

i agree i had concerns about it at first and stand by my request of SBS to raise it to 50 USD a spark....

but there are a few things that are not noticed easily that help funding.

1. as stated each time u die u lose RL game time so if ur out there adventuring the chances of u lving the full 52 weeks is slim add to that ur level of Fame will detirm the amount of RL game time u lose per death. ( there is a limit to amount of times u can take spirt loss for dieing repeatly in short periods dont know the exact number but i was last aware of it being 4hrs... IE get killed 100 times in 4s and suffer only 1 death spirt loss this was to prevent spawn camping) and well if ur a brigand then ur gonna lose more spirt and skill points for the laws u broke.

2. Each chr you make requires a Spark of life so if u want to make 3 chrs u need 3 separate sparks of life. so those who like to play many chrs will be big finders of this game... (most nobiles will have a Alt to go adventure with....)

3. by the time the games out we will have items for sale like cups t-shirts and such that should also help padd out the costs.

hope this helps a little with funding. realy in the end of the day i am sure the team will come up with a reasonable solution if costings were not panning out the way they expected.

i would expect a incrase in sparks costs over the 10 year period... but i dont think they would reduce the time frame...

reason being is they would shorten our abilty to gain the skills for the next life. and would unbalance what casp is currently planing.

regarding what to do thats a hard one... in essence i would say Live.

whats a blacksmith likly to do daily? make armor sure but he needs the iron so he needs to go find some one who can sell it to him (no auction house) he will then have to find the coal or wood for the forge... then there is repairing dmged tools. maybe u want to go take your wears to a State orgnized Arms expo? maybe u need to find a new apprentice ?

maybe u want to start a major Blacksmithing Industry and be the leader in Matal working products. maybe u want to Design a new way to make armor?

but this just basic things i can think of as a blacksmith and well personally i hate being a blacksmith hahahaha

Click Banner To Visit County. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

6/27/2017 5:08:22 PM #6

Greetings, friend!

First of all, welcome to CoE, I hope we can see you around here more often.

The community gave you very good answers, I suggest you to take them into account. Luckily we're around very wise people.

I wanted to add one point: This game is not going to be the same forever, since the players are the ones who are going to change the world and make it develope. Which means, people wont get tired easily. Also, this is going to be a revolution in the MMORPG world, it's popularity will bring enough people to keep this alive! At the same time, people without a high income will also be able to enjoy this. It's important giving the possibility to enjoy this experience to everyone.

I can't answer the unanswered questions because we don't know yet. But we will :)

Have a good day! If you have any more questions, feel free to DM me.

6/27/2017 11:48:15 PM #7

Just to toss in another voice to the chorus of already good answers.

The vision that SBS is preaching in developing this game has been pretty consistent from the beginning.

This is not the same old same old game. It is a very niche product and not designed to replace or displace WOW or any other theme park type game already in existence. And it is not for everybody.

But if after looking at all the info, and this game looks like something you have always wanted, but never actually seen put into action, then you are probably in the right place. And we all hope you stick around and help it grow.

We Are The Many... We Are The One... We Are THE WAERD !!!

6/28/2017 1:23:11 AM #8

While most of the responses will be far better than mine, I still would like to add my two cents to the matter...

One of the main differences in CoE and many of the others is the design. This is a Sandbox game so the developers won't have to spend as much time on content as with a Theme Park game. Also they are creating tools and placing them in the hands of players so that the players can make their own content for themselves and others, again cutting down the cost of development. The final cost has not been determined yet but many have accurately predicted roughly the cost of the game and souls. Can they change, sure. But if you spend more time in the forums you can see that the development team does what they say they are going to do.

There has been a lot of talk of greifing however the Devs have tried to address it in various ways, As mentioned above (and in the Dev Journals) Fame and Notoriety will be fond and center. As your fame rises the penalty for a Coupe de Gace increases. So if you start off the game with a low Fame you can die numerous times, however over time if your fame grows, then the number of deaths will be greatly reduced (needing to buy a new soul sooner). So a Duke or King if they are killed might be a instant PermaDeath or perhaps only a couple of deaths and they have to buy a new soul due to the fame penalty.

Unlike many games, your choice of profession will not lock you in. You may start off as a Blacksmith as mentioned above but decide you want to travel to sell your wares. You may like this and decide to be a full time Merchant instead, trading wares from different tribes. As far as what you will actually do, we don't know all the specifics. However you will Not be just making swords for a year. You must eat, meaning you must take time to find food. You must sleep, meaning you have to take a break. You need to barter or buy your supplies since there is no auction house, meaning you may have to travel. You nee to find different methods of production, meaning you will probably have to travel for training locally or as you improve perhaps to other tribes.

There are a few reasons to go without a in-game chat system, one being not wanting to break the immersion. Another is it opens up opportunities for travel and thus more story. The Devs have stated that they only want somewhere around 15% of players to be criminals or outlaws, though I am sure much more will have some Deviant skills in their skills set. And Yes, 3rd party communications will more than likely be used by many of the players so you will just have to deal with that as many games have had to before. I can see it increasing direct communications or quicker notifications of say possible attacks I am not sure it will nullify the skills in the deviant tree. I don't see how it will stop general petty crimes or even for that matter murder. I do see it as being an advantage in siege battles or other larger conflicts, but as a general matter for most players I don't see it being much of an advantage.

Zantonny, thanks for the post. If you have any more concerns or worries feel free to speak up. As you can tell most of the community is friendly and non-judgemental so nothing to worry about there. Have your friends stop by and voice any questions they may have as well, more the merrier I always say...

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

6/28/2017 1:50:25 AM #9

Thankyou everyone for the answers, I will send them this post so they can take a look.

This is definitely the game for me, I knew that sinse the day I found it. I'm just hoping I can bring them with me. Everything is better with friends!

6/28/2017 6:19:42 AM #10

As for me, the question about 1 and 2, I know how much I've spent monthly on other premium games in the past. I will likely continue to spend that on COE when released. However many alts that gets me, that's what I'll continue to spend. I know several other people that will be joining me when the game is released, all have the same sentiment.

6/28/2017 8:50:52 AM #11

Just a quick note re: Q1 - you are paying $30 per character (i.e. you pay for a soul and the subsequent sparks to maintain each soul).

Choose to play a lot of alts, pay more over the course of a year.

The attention span of a computer is only as long as its extension cord...(Friend Code: 9D26A7)

6/28/2017 9:37:46 AM #12

50 dollars for spark of life will take risks out of CoE. I would leave it at 30 dollars , i think it will surprise you how many people will dpend 120 dollars per year on sparks of life. Many of us will be playing more than one character. With my deviant player I might die a lot quicker than the stay in the settlement and lock the door players. SBS has a model of what to ecpect for players. I think they will be surprised that the number might be too low. I hope they have alternative plans to handle the load on servers.

I suggest looking at the Q&A , and wait for the state of Elyria. This should give you alot of information. So much speculation on the forums you really need to be careful reading some of the content. Always ask for source, take everything else as face value.

Someone posted a link of the information to things someone new will need to know.. These have links to sources. Think SBS linked it up in news.