COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Treehouse takedown?

I watched the part 2 tribes video and it made me think about these treehouse type structures. Can the trees that are built on be chopped down? burned?

Kip from Fist of the Empire

Friend code: 72EC67

6/28/2017 3:54:07 AM #1

Yes. You could also tunnel under buildings to destabilize the foundations of the less laterally inclined tribes.

Count Einzbern of Aichhalt.

Kingdom of Ashland.

Duchy of Sanctaphandri.

Seated in Darmindatch.

6/28/2017 4:22:47 AM #2

Anything created can be destroyed? I mean its a game there has to be an undo button...

6/28/2017 4:27:38 AM #3

Just be careful- we don't take kindly to any form of cutting down trees by outsiders, doubly so for the trees we live in.

This has been a friendly reminder from your nieghborhood kypiq.

kypiq

6/28/2017 4:49:52 AM #4

Very likely it will be possible to burn, chop, or otherwise treehouse type structures. Given developer comments in the past though you will likely at minimum need a dedicated siege engine / siege equipment to do this and it might still take a significant amount of time to do.

Granted there's no hard confirmation on that but I wouldn't expect a random griefer running in with a torch to a treehouse being a problem, game isn't going to let it be that easy to destroy something that important.

6/28/2017 5:20:08 AM #5

As Polite said you probably could do that, but why do you think you can get away with it? You could run up to someones house and take an axe to the door. To watch the people around it, kill you/chase after you.

I do know a fire arrow won't be able to burn down anything. Same can most likely be said about a torch.

From my knowledge this game isn't going to be like Rust/Ark etc. Where it can take you days to build something but minutes to destroy. Siege weapon would still be the best/fastest way. But seeing how long it would take to move one, well you have time to prepare.

6/28/2017 9:16:43 AM #6

Well, it it takes hundreds of years for trees to grow, it should take just as long to knock them down.

Give me some spirit of the forest shit.

6/28/2017 9:24:03 AM #7

If you watch the Tribes Q&A part 2, they mention that it will be possible to grow a new "building tree" on a parcel that you own, and that once it's grown you'll be able to build more structures on it. Thus I think it's safe to say that it will be possible to destroy one as well, but as Polite has posited, I'm sure it will be a lengthy and involved siege type of activity. I highly doubt 1 person attempting to sneak through the forest with a torch and axe will have any effect at all.

Bit amusing though to imagine the person fervently chopping at the base, and not noticing all the predators attracted by the racket. Let's not forget the Kypiq live in the trees to escape the dangers of the forest floor. This would be one of those environmental barriers they also discussed on the Q&A.

6/28/2017 9:33:52 AM #8

Best thing to remember that in reality, wood isn't just "wood", there are different strengths and densities to wood, and for a civilization to be built on top of trees.... well lets just say they aren't going to be picking conifer trees to build on.

It's a fantasy game after all, so i'm sure the wood built on could be just as solid as stone if they wanted to program it that way.

And if someone tries to start chopping a tree down to destroy a house, even if it was a simple process, it's going to make a loud noise, people will come out and they will stop them.

If it requires siege engines though, the main problem i see is not the speed of cutting trees down, it's the fact that siege engines won't easily navigate a dense forest.... so you'll have to get the siege engines there first before you can mount any type of attack.

6/28/2017 2:46:53 PM #9

Posted By Nagash at 04:33 AM - Wed Jun 28 2017

Best thing to remember that in reality, wood isn't just "wood", there are different strengths and densities to wood, and for a civilization to be built on top of trees.... well lets just say they aren't going to be picking conifer trees to build on.

It's a fantasy game after all, so i'm sure the wood built on could be just as solid as stone if they wanted to program it that way.

And if someone tries to start chopping a tree down to destroy a house, even if it was a simple process, it's going to make a loud noise, people will come out and they will stop them.

If it requires siege engines though, the main problem i see is not the speed of cutting trees down, it's the fact that siege engines won't easily navigate a dense forest.... so you'll have to get the siege engines there first before you can mount any type of attack.

Assuming the game is realistic when it comes to siege engines, anything large and powerful enough to take down a tree that houses several buildings will probably need to be built on site. Which means you'll need a crew of carpenters to assemble the engine on site after maneuvering the pieces through the woods, and you'll need to protect them for hours while they do their work. Then you'll need to defend the people operating the engine while it attacks the tree for hours or days straight. Not an easy or quick task.

6/28/2017 4:46:00 PM #10

Chopping it down might not be too hard. Remmember the tree houses are made of wood. They have to get that wood. If they ca cut the trees down to make the houses, someone could cut it down to destroy them, too.

6/28/2017 6:08:14 PM #11

Posted By Zantonny at 1:46 PM - Wed Jun 28 2017

(...). They have to get that wood. If they ca cut the trees down to make the houses, someone could cut it down to destroy them, too.

While I'm not saying the trees are indestructible, I think you are forgetting that the Kypiq do not kill flora and fauna. They use fallen or dead wood I believe. Thus yes, I think it's entirely possible that a "village tree" would be a different fantasy tree from the rest in the forest. That the Kypiq would grow say an "ironwood" tree for example that are like redwoods among the other trees, and that they would be an enormous, and extremely hardy species.

6/28/2017 9:20:02 PM #12

I think you're underestimating just how hardy trees are, particularly living trees.

You aren't going to catch a healthy oak on fire with a torch or a fire arrow. You'd need to cultivate a raging inferno to be able to get to that point,and even then, that's just to catch the tree on fire, which is still a distance from destroying the tree. Wildfires can happen, true, but that's a matter usually caused by dead and dry undergrowth and trees catching flame. As stewards of the forest, Kypiq are likely to clean that sort of thing up, especially around their homes.

As for cutting trees down, good luck with that. Against a sturdy oak, an axe won't do too much, especially a medieval-era axe. You'd need a team of burly men taking all day to cut it down. Saws would do a much better job, but it's still not easy work, by any stretch. And, depending on how much "ironwood" deserves its name, we could be talking about trees that will simply strip the teeth off weaker saws.

The structures built into the trees would likely be significantly easier to destroy... provided you can get up to reach them... and you're still dealing with some of the best engineers in the world, so there's that...

6/28/2017 10:57:19 PM #13

There is a reason Ironwood is called IRONwood, you know. I suspect the trees used by Kypiq to build in are ironwood trees and will be incredibly hard to fell.

~ Goody Odsbodikins, Count of the Highest State. ~
Friend Code: F41EFF

6/29/2017 12:25:35 AM #14

I'll just use concetrated oxygen to rust the tree then :p

6/29/2017 2:49:40 AM #15

Interesting thoughts. You guys are making me think of a petrified forest.

Maybe someone could take a couple wagons full of firewood and stack it around the tree, then light it on fire.

Wonder if laws will affect the harming of trees in Kypiq lands... If not, someone could avoid the penalty of attacking someone's home by starting a forest fire (after littering the ground with dry wood).

Which leads to the age old question: If a tree full of Kypiq burns in a raging inferno and non of the king's men are around to hear, do they scream?

Kip from Fist of the Empire

Friend code: 72EC67